collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sous Vide and Smoked Brisket - 28-30 Hours  (Read 5212 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Sous Vide and Smoked Brisket - 28-30 Hours
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2022, 11:43:56 AM »
The leftovers aren't dry at all. It's extremely tender and moist. I'm eating carnivore. I add some cheese, G. Hughes sugar-free bbq, and a little Frank's Wing Sauce. It's freaking delicious.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2022, 06:16:58 PM »
Not familiar with sous vide......did you get good penetration of smoke into the meat? I see bark on the slices but no smoke ring. Would this process work by smoking the raw meat first and then finishing via sous vide? Again, no knowledge of this process, just curious.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 08:48:02 AM »
The meat tastes like smoke. It's not heavy. I'm going to reverse the process next time, smoking for 4-6 hours then into the bath for probably 24.

Sous vide (French for under vacuum) is a cooking technique that cooks at specific temperatures for a given time to receive specific results. The meat or fish is put in a ziplock bag or vacuum bag, and then you force out the air by submerging the bag and closing it.

This last one gave up a lot of moisture during the 24 hours in the bath and I think it was because the meat hadn't been seared. I think/hope that smoking first will achieve that sear and hold in the juices.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »
I know with canning it really magnifies the smoke so I always go way less on smoked fish that I can.  I wonder if it's the same with SV?  It will be sitting in the smoky liquid for 24 hours, you might think about going half on the smoke time.

I think the searing locking in liquid is more of a myth than reality.  You might have gone too long in the second stage last time, I would try going by touch rather than temp, especially if it's less than prime grade.  I use a bamboo skewer to poke through it and you can tell when it's done.

I'm not sure what temp you started the SV, if it was 180, you might try bumping that down to 150-160.  Since you are going so much longer than a traditional cook I think you can get away with a lot less heat.  Google says beef fat renders at 130-140, so 150 might be a better option?

It's an interesting experiment if you can get it to work, save money on pellets or wood fuel if you buy them and no babysitting anything.  You can also set the timing to have it done any time of day.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 09:25:12 AM »
Wouldn't you loose the bark if reversed?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »
All of the liquid came out during the SV cycle and quite early in the process. There was no loss of liquid once I started smoking, other than a little fat dripping. I do think that smoking it first could have a good searing effect and that we'd see less liquid in the bag afterwards. SV does have a good effect on penetrating the flavor no matter what you're cooking. I may consider smoking for a shorter time, like 3-4 hours.

Temp: I started it at 170F and reduced it to 160F after 6 hours or so. The recipe I saw gave a temp range from 150-180F for 24-36 hours. The briskets started to float after the liquid had released. So I had to add a couple of dinner knives to each bag to keep them down under the surface.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2022, 09:33:13 AM »
Wouldn't you loose the bark if reversed?

Not sure I haven't tried it yet. If there's less liquid released, I don't think the bark would be affected at all other than possibly being easier to cut through and that would be fine. Bark is a combination of being more cooked and smoke. I don't believe it's possible to reverse that process with liquid. We'll see. It might suck!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2022, 09:34:23 AM »
Looks like it was awesome. I bet you will have the recipe dialed in soon!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »
Maybe when you come down the next time, we can smoke a brisket and a cigar or two.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2022, 09:51:47 AM »
Once the bark is set it's pretty much there, I wouldn't be worried.  If you finish wrapped in foil traditional style, it will cook in liquid in the oven for a couple hours and the bark is still there.

The problem you might have is that it takes quite a while to set the bark (6-8 hrs in my experience) which negates the longer SV.  If you only want smoky flavor and some color you could do less, but true bark (brisket is black, outer has hard texture and you can hear it when you scrape a fork across) takes time at normal smoking temps.

You could also experiment with a true sear, like 500-600 degrees or with a torch, followed or preceded with smoking at 220 for flavor and smell.  That might replicate bark pretty well or be a total disaster?

Personally, I don't care much for bark, I could take it or leave it but some people really dig it.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2022, 09:58:33 AM »
Once the bark is set it's pretty much there, I wouldn't be worried.  If you finish wrapped in foil traditional style, it will cook in liquid in the oven for a couple hours and the bark is still there.

The problem you might have is that it takes quite a while to set the bark (6-8 hrs in my experience) which negates the longer SV.  If you only want smoky flavor and some color you could do less, but true bark (brisket is black, outer has hard texture and you can hear it when you scrape a fork across) takes time at normal smoking temps.

You could also experiment with a true sear, like 500-600 degrees or with a torch, followed or preceded with smoking at 220 for flavor and smell.  That might replicate bark pretty well or be a total disaster?

Personally, I don't care much for bark, I could take it or leave it but some people really dig it.

I was thinking about using the torch before the bath and I didn't. If I seared it really well, that might tackle the moisture-loss problem, as well. I did have a pretty good bark after only 2.5 hours. It barks a lot faster when the meat is already fully cooked. Same with a sous vide steak. You only have to sear it in a pan for a minute on each side when you take it out of the bath.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]