collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 Turkey Hatch Report  (Read 5349 times)

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2022 Turkey Hatch Report
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 04:59:09 PM »
Very small broods in 127, a few more in 154, will below average in both

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2022, 05:17:35 PM »
Up until two weeks ago....we didn't see any hens with babies.  Last week we did spot two hens with 11 poults between them.  I think this wet spring really took it's toll on the hatch.  Thankfully the bird population is strong as I'm personally willing to sacrifice a strong hatch year to get us out of a decade of drought. 

I have seen far fewer fawns this year also.  This is much more concerning to me. 

I have seen three sets of triplets....as it pertains to bears and one set of triplets cougars.   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: 

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 05:42:28 PM »
Starting to see quite a few more, tall field grass isnt helping with spotting them, but I am seeing enough to remove concern.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 05:48:05 PM »
Haven’t seen any chicks around CDA area yet.

Me either and we have turkeys all over around our place. It looks pretty bad around here for chicks

Offline bobear

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: REMF, DU
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 08:28:21 AM »
Turkey numbers in general have been down at my place east of Deer/Loon Lake this year.  Have not seen many poults this year either and yet to see fawns.  Lots of bears and a few more bobcats though.  Will definitely be doing some more predator hunting with my buddies this year.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 08:32:09 AM »
Did finally see a couple.
Still not seeing a lot.
A few is better than none.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 09:48:05 AM »
Saw two hens yesterday, one had a single chick that was maybe 2 weeks old and the other hen had 2 chicks that were maybe a month old.  This was on the west plains, just west of Spokane.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 10:55:41 AM »
Kind of a weird year alright. Seeing lots of hens with no poults, hens with just one or two and a some with a normal brood [5-6]  Have noticed that those with normal broods the poults are still very small and those with 1-2 the poults are much larger. Suspect that indicates some did a second hatch. Not seeing a lot of fawns yet either and those I am seeing are also very small for this time of year.  Not making a judgment on the deer yet as the undergrowth this year is so high they are hard to see.i am seeing more dry does than I did last year though. Pretty sure this wet cold spring did hold down the numbers of both the deer and turkeys unfortunately.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »
Decent amount of poults, not much size difference.  June born fawns running with moms, july fawns still hiding in the tall grass but quite active and be running with moms any day.  Still, all in all less deer.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2022, 08:09:42 AM »
We've had a few hens with poults, but more hens without any near our place in 133.  Our area is crawling with Lions and I've wondered if they feast on poults given the chance.  We discovered a Lion kill deer buried just off the access road of our area recently.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2022, 12:08:08 PM »
Well, still  seeing quite a few hens withno poults. But have seen several now with 5-6.  Population around has been so strong, I'm  not to concerned.  Nice thing is the fawns are starting to show up. Doesn't look terrible as I'm seeing a goodly amount and several sets of twins. Seeing all mule deer so far, so not sure how the whitetail are doing

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2022, 08:27:00 AM »
Haven't seen any poults this year until we pulled into Seven Bays. Saw several flocks with a good number of poults, seems super late.

Same thing with quail, hadn't seen any all year until this trip. saw a ton of recently hatched quail chick's as well as some that were probably a month old.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 08:48:39 AM »
I've got 3 hens with 12 poults working the grasshoppers daily in my meadow.  Haven't had many turkeys on the place in the past, so this is a bonus to me.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Broomd

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2022, 11:49:51 AM »
The grouse hatch will likley be non-existent here given the outrageous amount of rain that fell this Spring.  Turkeys will probably fair very poorly as well, but should see some reproduction.

The fawn crop around here was terrible last year, but is looking excellent this year. Very encouraged by that!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 12:25:51 PM »
Checked cameras last week and am now seeing quite a few baby turkeys.  Not as many as last year, but most hens have 4-8 babies following them around.  They look very small for this time of year so I am assuming a second hatch occurred. 

Also seeing quite a few new fawns.  The mule deer did very well this year it appears with quite a few twins and even one set of triplets.  The mule deer gave birth on time and most of their fawns have lost their spots....or are very close to it.  The whitetail fawns were very late and are very small.  I would say the whitetail are on par with previous years in my areas. 

Definitely a better report than what I thought it was going to be a month ago.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal