collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: disabled hunter turnbull cow tag  (Read 1637 times)

Offline bmc02

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
disabled hunter turnbull cow tag
« on: July 05, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »
my dad (disabled vet) drew the disabled hunter turnbull antlerless elk tag for oct 5-10. We will pull out from our usual east slopes ML camp a couple days early this year to hopefully have a good opportunity with this special permit. Lucky for him I live in Spokane and will put in a lot of homework and scouting time leading up to this hunt (he is not from this area). I'll be doing all the legwork with hope that it gets him a good opportunity.

I plan on visiting the refuge and talking to employees next week to gather what information I can. Will also visit the regional WDFW office to see what they can provide. I have already scoured the FWS website for information. Onx shows the open areas within the unit well. If anyone on here has any helpful information I'd love to hear it. Both of us have really been in a long drought from being drawn for any special permits, so just glad to finally have something "special" to look forward to.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
Re: disabled hunter turnbull cow tag
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 01:58:13 PM »
What areas of the refuge can he hunt? I'm not familiar with the tag but I know the elk in the area quite well. Lived here and hunted everything around it for 30 yrs. Let me know if you need any help.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 01:59:40 PM »
Good luck!

Usually you can only gain access to scout the day before and there are only a couple access points so there isn't much you can do before.

I'm not sure about the disabled tag, maybe they allow better access and vehicles as the regular tag is a lot of walking but not really any hills to speak of and easy road/trail access.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 02:07:53 PM »
What areas of the refuge can he hunt? I'm not familiar with the tag but I know the elk in the area quite well. Lived here and hunted everything around it for 30 yrs. Let me know if you need any help.

Great offer!!    :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 02:56:35 PM »

on the map the areas in blue will be open for hunting.

thanks for offering help, very kind! I will talk to the powers that be to begin with and then get a better lay of the land with some day hikes, then likely be headed your way for some insight. I lived in Cheney while at EWU and still spend some time fishing williams, badger, rock and bonnie lake. So I know the area a little, but never in a hunting sense so I'll take any extra help I can get.

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 03:09:07 PM »
Good luck!

Usually you can only gain access to scout the day before and there are only a couple access points so there isn't much you can do before.

I'm not sure about the disabled tag, maybe they allow better access and vehicles as the regular tag is a lot of walking but not really any hills to speak of and easy road/trail access.

thanks, luck is always needed!

What kind of access could they restrict ahead of time? Its open to the public. the only thing on their website that has been restrictive so far is:
"To minimize disturbance to plants and animals, visitors are required to stay on trails and designated roadways March 1 through August 15 and are asked to comply with all regulatory signs"

I know there are hiking trails all through there which I will cover all of them this summer starting next week. I will stay on trail until 8/15 per their rules.

As far as drive in access with regard to the disabled hunt itself, yeah I'm not sure of that. That is on my list of questions to get answered. My dad has had disabled hunter status for a while but it's never really come into play in the past, so we have additional homework for those rules as well.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 03:51:31 PM »
When I was there (twice now), the refuge where you could hunt was closed to the public.  The public is allowed on the Public Use Area but not the hunting areas.  It might be different in the summer though.

They used to have a pdf pamphlet with all the rules and maps for the hunt on their website, but I can't seem to find it now.

When you get a map, shoot me a pm and I can give you an idea where to start.  The local bio had good info when I had the tag several years ago.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 05:34:09 PM »
You can not access any of the hunting areas for scouting as mentioned until the day before the hunt is open. There is no public access on Turnbull land except the day use area. Period. Outside of that area is off limits. Year around. Most of Turnbull is closed to the public. Always has been. It's one of only a few completely closed wildlife refuges.

Offline bobdog86

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 08:25:49 PM »
I shot a cow out there a few years ago, would be happy to share some insight if needed. With the disabled permit, you should be able to drive most of the area, depending on which section you are given. Good luck.tough thing about the refuge, sometimes they just ain’t there, and there’s nothing you can do….and sometimes they are. Persistence pays.

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 06:25:26 AM »
When I was there (twice now), the refuge where you could hunt was closed to the public.  The public is allowed on the Public Use Area but not the hunting areas.  It might be different in the summer though.

They used to have a pdf pamphlet with all the rules and maps for the hunt on their website, but I can't seem to find it now.

When you get a map, shoot me a pm and I can give you an idea where to start.  The local bio had good info when I had the tag several years ago.

thanks for input. I guess I may be mistaken on my assumptions of it being open. I've been through website and only restriction I've seen so far is that you have to stay on trail until 8/15. but it appears to me there are trails all through the refuge, including the areas open to hunting. starting next week I'll be making some calls and after a bonnie lake kayak trip with my daughter will swing through the park. I'll be sure to share my findings on access.

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 06:32:36 AM »
You can not access any of the hunting areas for scouting as mentioned until the day before the hunt is open. There is no public access on Turnbull land except the day use area. Period. Outside of that area is off limits. Year around. Most of Turnbull is closed to the public. Always has been. It's one of only a few completely closed wildlife refuges.

thanks. I guess I glossed over the first part under rules:
"Visitor access is limited to a 3,190 acre Public Use Area, Columbia Plateau Trail and designated areas identified in hunt permits"

so sounds like you are correct. I'll still ask the questions and do the best I can while following the rules.

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 06:35:07 AM »
I shot a cow out there a few years ago, would be happy to share some insight if needed. With the disabled permit, you should be able to drive most of the area, depending on which section you are given. Good luck.tough thing about the refuge, sometimes they just ain’t there, and there’s nothing you can do….and sometimes they are. Persistence pays.

thanks! as it gets closer and I know the rules/areas better I will likely reach out to you.

As a somewhat seasoned elk hunter I know all too well the luck that is involved. Its a rather small area and a short season, so luck will definitely play a large roll. I've heard recently this herd has gone more nocturnal as pressure/development has increased.. we'll see.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal