collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel Trailer Search  (Read 7686 times)

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Travel Trailer Search
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »
I am somewhat in the travel trailer market meaning that if a good deal pops up I would probably snag it. My question is what route would you guys go give the following parameters?

Intended use would be summer trips and hunting camp
Number of people to sleep would be 2-4 given I would like to be able to have hunting buddies stay in it and not share a rack
It would be pulled with my 2013 f-150 ecoboost
Budget would be preferably under $20k but would go a little higher for the perfect set up
Also would like it to be as efficient as possible for power usage, water etc
No way i want to share a TT with 3 other dudes, no matter how big it is.

Van, i dont care if Ford wants to call it Massive Boost, i aint pulling more then a 24 footer with a half ton....and that makes me cringe

Online Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 07:32:33 PM »
I have a 13 Ecoboost as well and tow a older Terry trailer BH with no problems
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 07:57:38 PM »
Not sure if you could find one of these in your price range, but my buddy has a bigger version and if I ever do buy one, I think i'll get one of these. Buddy's is awesome and it's 30' or so. It's a few years old and for sale for a little over $30k, so maybe the smaller ones are around your price range.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2022/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans/21bhe

The large rear bunks are the ticket for me and my larger than average family members. My kid would have to fold herself in half to sleep on a fold down table.
All LED lighting and TV(which probably wouldn't get used much). Efficient HVAC, insulation, etc.

I bought a momentum earlier this year and we are having lots of issues. With the new pressurized water tanks they are notorious for losing water driving down the road, we lose half a tank on our first trip. Grand Design told us to fill the tank up when we get where we are going for a solution. The roof had gaps in the sealer, the glass broke out of a cabinet door, the automatic vent won’t open in the bathroom and to top that when they installed the door you could see daylight between the door and trim.

I’m spending a lot of time navigating the warranty process instead of enjoying camping. Very little quality in manufacturing these days despite the extraordinary high prices.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2022, 08:34:01 PM »
Selling mine in a week. 26ft (29 with tongue).  Good condition, camps my family of 5 just fine. Happy to throw in all the fixings. 10 years old, we are the second owner from what I remember.  Well within your price range.

My wife started a business so we just won’t have time to use it.

Send me a PM or even better an FB message and I’ll be happy to send pics. 

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 08:42:06 PM »
I am somewhat in the travel trailer market meaning that if a good deal pops up I would probably snag it. My question is what route would you guys go give the following parameters?

Intended use would be summer trips and hunting camp
Number of people to sleep would be 2-4 given I would like to be able to have hunting buddies stay in it and not share a rack
It would be pulled with my 2013 f-150 ecoboost
Budget would be preferably under $20k but would go a little higher for the perfect set up
Also would like it to be as efficient as possible for power usage, water etc
No way i want to share a TT with 3 other dudes, no matter how big it is.

Van, i dont care if Ford wants to call it Massive Boost, i aint pulling more then a 24 footer with a half ton....and that makes me cringe

I agree about putting other guys in there but the half ton thing is way wrong.

I took my 26ft to Yellowstone  two years ago with zero issues. I’m loaded up with a great tow vehicle, transmission cooler, good tires and brakes, etc but it can absolutely be done.

I’ll go a step further and tell you I towed the same trailer with my dads 2000 Cummins 3/4 ton and it towed way rougher.  I did some research and found my tow capacity is actually 3000lbs greater than his. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 08:59:56 PM »
I talked to a guy the other day towing a 29’ airstream with an F150. Says it’s a breeze. I think it’s a ton of trailer for an F150 but I’m not the guy behind the wheel. The trailer is within the tow capacity of the truck, so ….
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2022, 09:06:20 PM »
but I’m not the guy behind the wheel.

Thank goodness.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2022, 09:08:46 PM »
I have a wolf pack 2021 model 24 gold 14 , it’s a toy hauler huge front bedroom very spacious front bedroom  lots of cargo drop down bunk in rear family of 4  been great although 12v fridge is a joke other than that happy and I like to pack everything paid 23k for it and I’ll add to the momentum comments above my dad the moose master on here has one had several problems ,

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2022, 09:10:15 PM »
Shop for them in late fall, early winter when the need/want level is not as high.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 09:11:01 PM »
Why is everyone caught up on 1500 vs 2500 when the quality of truck has advanced so much in the last two decades?  I’m not a motor head but it just doesn’t make sense to me. 

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 09:13:49 PM »
For context.

We were towing our 1995 20 foot Nash TT with a 95 F-250, didnt sway at all. Couldn't feel it at all except for the ford being gutless power wise.

I started towing that same nash with an 08 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 engine and my wife could FEEL the sway. She gets a bit nervous when the back end pulls down a bit, it feels like the truck wants to pull a wee bit this way and that. Doesnt bother me, but the wife is a woman, and she gets nervous. The tranny wanted to get hot too till i installed a tranny cooler in addition to the factory one that came with it.

Hey,... maybe a ford half ton tows a heavier load less noticeably then a chevy  :dunno:

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 09:33:36 PM »
Buy my 27 foot trailer, its awesome.  6500 empty weight.   
Need 19,500 for it. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2022, 10:04:37 PM »
I am not sayong a 1/2 ton in any manufacture won't tow a trailer but there are soany different packages in one manufacture of 1/2 ton.  Do you have the heavy tow package or just a regular tow package with those different packages come different break or suspension setups.  I had a 2008 F150 with the 5.4 Triton engine highest tow package towing same trailer I talked about 6 years ago.    Within tow limits of the truck.  Pull just fine if you where on flat land.  Big hils or mountains gutless.  Went to a Ram 2500 with the 2013 5.7 Hemi about 6 months of having the trailer..  What a difference then a 2018 2500 woth a 6.4 hemi pulls like a champ.  Crappy gas mileage but it is like it isn't even there.  Pulled it up to the Dalles FS campground over the 4th.  I can tell you that travel trailers have gone up in price just like everything else lately even used ones.  I drive cautious with my trailers I amnot like everone else towing that goes 90 mph down the interstate.  That is just asking for problems and by the way the law is when you are towing a trailer your legal highway speeds are that of a semi.  Over the last 5 years I have towed my trailer to fires just about eveywhere.  Taking down to Fort Rock in Oregon in a couple weeks.  Jiat know your tow capacity of your vehicle and use the 80% rule.  Tow 80% of your tow capacity.  Also know your max weight of the trailer you are towing.  Most max weights are with full tanks.  I don't fill up any tanks full whe I am towing unless it is a short trip like over the 4th.  I usually will fill up the fresh water when I am close to my destination.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 06:50:47 PM »
For context.

We were towing our 1995 20 foot Nash TT with a 95 F-250, didnt sway at all. Couldn't feel it at all except for the ford being gutless power wise.

I started towing that same nash with an 08 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 engine and my wife could FEEL the sway. She gets a bit nervous when the back end pulls down a bit, it feels like the truck wants to pull a wee bit this way and that. Doesnt bother me, but the wife is a woman, and she gets nervous. The tranny wanted to get hot too till i installed a tranny cooler in addition to the factory one that came with it.

Hey,... maybe a ford half ton tows a heavier load less noticeably then a chevy  :dunno:
A newer half ton truck tows better than a 15 year old half ton truck.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Travel Trailer Search
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2022, 06:52:22 PM »
I am not sayong a 1/2 ton in any manufacture won't tow a trailer but there are soany different packages in one manufacture of 1/2 ton.  Do you have the heavy tow package or just a regular tow package with those different packages come different break or suspension setups.  I had a 2008 F150 with the 5.4 Triton engine highest tow package towing same trailer I talked about 6 years ago.    Within tow limits of the truck.  Pull just fine if you where on flat land.  Big hils or mountains gutless.  Went to a Ram 2500 with the 2013 5.7 Hemi about 6 months of having the trailer..  What a difference then a 2018 2500 woth a 6.4 hemi pulls like a champ.  Crappy gas mileage but it is like it isn't even there.  Pulled it up to the Dalles FS campground over the 4th.  I can tell you that travel trailers have gone up in price just like everything else lately even used ones.  I drive cautious with my trailers I amnot like everone else towing that goes 90 mph down the interstate.  That is just asking for problems and by the way the law is when you are towing a trailer your legal highway speeds are that of a semi.  Over the last 5 years I have towed my trailer to fires just about eveywhere.  Taking down to Fort Rock in Oregon in a couple weeks.  Jiat know your tow capacity of your vehicle and use the 80% rule.  Tow 80% of your tow capacity.  Also know your max weight of the trailer you are towing.  Most max weights are with full tanks.  I don't fill up any tanks full whe I am towing unless it is a short trip like over the 4th.  I usually will fill up the fresh water when I am close to my destination.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

A newer F150 tows better than a 15 year old F150. Especially when you’re comparing the old school 5.4 with the ecoboost.

An F150 is very different from any 3/4 ton or bigger truck these days too.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal