collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel Trailer Search  (Read 7684 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Travel Trailer Search
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2022, 06:54:13 PM »
but I’m not the guy behind the wheel.

Thank goodness.

I have enough trouble transporting my float tube to my favorite fly fishing lakes. Nevermind an actual trailer.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2022, 06:56:28 PM »
 :chuckle:

If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 07:06:37 PM »

A newer F150 tows better than a 15 year old F150. Especially when you’re comparing the old school 5.4 with the ecoboost.

An F150 is very different from any 3/4 ton or bigger truck these days too.

It's not how much you can tow that should be the question.  It's whether or not you can stop.  We go over the North Cascades Hiway 4-5 times every year.  Twice we have seen camping trailers on their roof, and the tow vehicle on its side.  Both were 1/2 ton trucks, towing a trailer that was probably within the maximum capacity for the vehicle as far as towing, but the brakes just were not up the task.  A white-knuckle ride down the eastern side of the North Cascades Hiway ain't worth it !!!!!
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Travel Trailer Search
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 07:32:30 PM »

A newer F150 tows better than a 15 year old F150. Especially when you’re comparing the old school 5.4 with the ecoboost.

An F150 is very different from any 3/4 ton or bigger truck these days too.

It's not how much you can tow that should be the question.  It's whether or not you can stop.  We go over the North Cascades Hiway 4-5 times every year.  Twice we have seen camping trailers on their roof, and the tow vehicle on its side.  Both were 1/2 ton trucks, towing a trailer that was probably within the maximum capacity for the vehicle as far as towing, but the brakes just were not up the task.  A white-knuckle ride down the eastern side of the North Cascades Hiway ain't worth it !!!!!

If the trailer is within the tow capacity of the truck, the truck is designed to stop the trailer also.
That won’t stop people who don’t know how to tow a trailer from towing trailers. It also won’t stop people from buying 10k pound trailers when they have a 10k point tow rating. It also won’t stop some clown from pushing the limits and running 45mph corners at 55mph with a load pushing the limits of their trucks.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 07:34:29 PM »
Also. This thread is not about tow ratings and idiots who push the limits. It’s about a guy looking for a trailer.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 07:40:14 PM »
Also. This thread is not about tow ratings and idiots who push the limits. It’s about a guy looking for a trailer.

Really.

Here is the post I was responding to, in its entirety.

"A newer F150 tows better than a 15 year old F150. Especially when you’re comparing the old school 5.4 with the ecoboost.

An F150 is very different from any 3/4 ton or bigger truck these days too."
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2022, 07:51:06 PM »
When I tow in my 16 F-150 I hardly use the truck brakes.  Between the trailer brakes and pre-programmed engine compression braking it does automatically when you have it in tow mode it pretty much stops itself.  That's 7 year old technology already, I wouldn't be surprised if newer ones were even better.  I push the pedal much harder when nothing is connected.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2022, 10:25:55 PM »
I am somewhat in the travel trailer market meaning that if a good deal pops up I would probably snag it. My question is what route would you guys go give the following parameters?

Intended use would be summer trips and hunting camp
Number of people to sleep would be 2-4 given I would like to be able to have hunting buddies stay in it and not share a rack
It would be pulled with my 2013 f-150 ecoboost
Budget would be preferably under $20k but would go a little higher for the perfect set up
Also would like it to be as efficient as possible for power usage, water etc

Now back to the original question  :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2022, 08:25:43 AM »
I do appreciate the discussion of towing capacity as that is a factor in my search. I would much prefer a trailer on the lighter side to make those longer trips more economical but also don't want to buy a trailer so small that it makes it so I might as well just pitch a tent. Trying to find that happy medium between big enough trailer to be comfortable and small/light enough to be able to haul it all over with ease. Pretty much a unicorn
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2022, 08:49:57 AM »
I do appreciate the discussion of towing capacity as that is a factor in my search. I would much prefer a trailer on the lighter side to make those longer trips more economical but also don't want to buy a trailer so small that it makes it so I might as well just pitch a tent. Trying to find that happy medium between big enough trailer to be comfortable and small/light enough to be able to haul it all over with ease. Pretty much a unicorn

One suggestion I would offer is to consider a trailer that has two doors.  Sounds like a small thing, but when you have 3-4 people in a medium (25') trailer, having two doors makes a big difference.  The first two camping trailers we owned were 1-door models.  Our current 25' trailer is a 2-door model, and it just makes things way more convenient.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
get ahold of lorenzo, he just picked up a new trailer this past year and i know he goes to the RV/trailer show and did a whole bunch of research before this last purchase.
worth pickin his brain.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2022, 10:02:14 AM »
get ahold of lorenzo, he just picked up a new trailer this past year and i know he goes to the RV/trailer show and did a whole bunch of research before this last purchase.
worth pickin his brain.

Roger that. Need to catch up with him anyway. Its been a while

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2022, 01:33:53 PM »
There are lots of ultra lites out there that would fit your bill for sure.  Prices are high right now for sure.  Quality has also gone to crap on alot of newer models over the last couple years from what I am hearing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »
We bought a Forest River 25' Cruise Lite three months before Covid hit. Same basic trailer is now selling for about 20K more than what we paid for it. Insanity!!! None the less it weighs in at 4600# dry and unloaded. No slide outs but larger than normal bunks in the back. We have really enjoyed it so far. Good luck  :tup: I pull it with a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi, no problem. I also got the leveling package and sway bar set up which makes a huge difference as well as a Prodigy P2 electric break module. All help with the peace of mind factor...and no I don't blow down the highway doing 75...I hang in the right lane and do 60 most of the time. I prefer back roads but that isn't always possible.
You will find something that works for you ,
BD1

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2022, 03:10:58 PM »
We bought a Forest River 25' Cruise Lite three months before Covid hit. Same basic trailer is now selling for about 20K more than what we paid for it. Insanity!!! None the less it weighs in at 4600# dry and unloaded. No slide outs but larger than normal bunks in the back. We have really enjoyed it so far. Good luck  :tup: I pull it with a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi, no problem. I also got the leveling package and sway bar set up which makes a huge difference as well as a Prodigy P2 electric break module. All help with the peace of mind factor...and no I don't blow down the highway doing 75...I hang in the right lane and do 60 most of the time. I prefer back roads but that isn't always possible.
You will find something that works for you ,
BD1

Thank you. Prices don't seem too crazy to me right now but they for sure are higher than a few years ago.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10