collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2006 duramax tranny getting hot???  (Read 10012 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: 2006 duramax tranny getting hot???
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2022, 06:24:46 AM »
I have an 05 myself 190k and counting clean cooling stacks don't flush tranny, it's not recommended for an allison. Only a drain and fill. Only use allison filters nothing aftermarket make sure you have the magnet on ext filter and fill tranny with Transynd
I've replaced both filters, and the magnet was intact and clean, used fluid recommended and filters.  Hoping puyallup transmission come up with something other than an tranny replacement.  Not sure josh about that outer filter, I'm not going that route with that tranny, it looks good and cheap but I want to stay local.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »
Before ya blow $$ verfy it isnt your TQ converter wearing out building excess heat?  Check clutch wear?  Bands?  A new one may not be needed yet is all Im saying.  A good shop, not a replace n charge shop. :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2022, 08:56:11 PM »
I’ve heard good things about Puyallup transmission, will a diagnosis tell if it’s just the torque converter ??

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2022, 09:44:37 PM »
If they are still there, ABC in Tacoma did great work for me about 9 years ago. 
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2022, 08:08:57 AM »
I’ve heard good things about Puyallup transmission, will a diagnosis tell if it’s just the torque converter ??

I just received a recommendation for there as well, I'm following to see how your experience goes. Need some stuff checked out on my 95 F250

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2022, 08:52:47 AM »
they are still a good transmission shop but they arent building alot of the trannys anymore, they use and sell alot of jasper reman transmissions, which is a good thing imo

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2022, 02:12:15 PM »
Just talked to Ricky at Puyallup trans, what a great guy! He drove it around, had his scanner on it, looked at the fluids and listened to the info I have on it.  Bottom line, he thinks the tranny is fine, my fluid looks and smells good, torque converter had zero slip. He thinks maybe having old fluid in it that day it got hot and the fact it was a hot day pulling up the pass might had made it get warm.  He thinks I’m good to go, I might put a bigger pan on it the next fluid change, but I guess I’ll pull the trailer over to moose camp in Oct and see what happens.  Actually I’ll do a test run next weekend when we go camp at lake Silvia.  I’m gonna trust what he’s saying, seems like a great guy, I guess time will tell.  I really appreciate ALL the info and ideas, now I’ll just run it till it breaks!! And hopefully get a few years out of it, certainly ain’t spending 80k or more on a new truck!  He also said a new rebuilt by jasper for my truck would be about $6k, that’s better than 10k!

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2022, 02:18:39 PM »
That's good news.
I was thinking that if there were issues with your tranny you would know it.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2022, 02:24:09 PM »
That's good news.
I was thinking that if there were issues with your tranny you would know it.
that was in the back of my mind the whole time, zero issues when driving it by it’s self, sifts like a dream still.  Hope it was just small things that added up.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »
Just talked to Ricky at Puyallup trans, what a great guy! He drove it around, had his scanner on it, looked at the fluids and listened to the info I have on it.  Bottom line, he thinks the tranny is fine, my fluid looks and smells good, torque converter had zero slip. He thinks maybe having old fluid in it that day it got hot and the fact it was a hot day pulling up the pass might had made it get warm.  He thinks I’m good to go, I might put a bigger pan on it the next fluid change, but I guess I’ll pull the trailer over to moose camp in Oct and see what happens.  Actually I’ll do a test run next weekend when we go camp at lake Silvia.  I’m gonna trust what he’s saying, seems like a great guy, I guess time will tell.  I really appreciate ALL the info and ideas, now I’ll just run it till it breaks!! And hopefully get a few years out of it, certainly ain’t spending 80k or more on a new truck!  He also said a new rebuilt by jasper for my truck would be about $6k, that’s better than 10k!

FYI regarding Jasper...
If there is a problem with a Jasper unit, the last time I dealt with them, they cover $50/hour of the labor and they require the unit to be removed and sent back to them for repairs. No in-house repair. It takes a while for shipping back, repair, ship it back to the shop and have them re-install it. It may have changed as it's been a while. Just something to make note of going in if you have to go that way.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2022, 01:05:35 PM »
Yikes!!  Well, I’m hoping my next trailer pull, next weekend goes good.

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2022, 01:12:07 PM »

FYI regarding Jasper...
If there is a problem with a Jasper unit, the last time I dealt with them, they cover $50/hour of the labor and they require the unit to be removed and sent back to them for repairs. No in-house repair. It takes a while for shipping back, repair, ship it back to the shop and have them re-install it. It may have changed as it's been a while. Just something to make note of going in if you have to go that way.

if you are a preferred jasper dealer they pay more labor and also allow in house repairs, in most cases they ship a new unit out immediately. the reason we sell jasper is we rarely have the need to use their warranty.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2022, 01:29:07 PM »
That’s great to hear! 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2022, 12:11:47 PM »
Well, took the trailer to silvia lake state park last weekend, not any real big hills but everything went very well.  The hottest my tranny got was 206, most the time it ran around 150-160, on the way home, less hills, cruise control set at 60 ish, it ran a lot at 140!!!!  I'm pretty confident my tranny is ok, and my problem was old fluid and filters needed replacing. 

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2022, 12:24:06 PM »
Good to hear!
That's gotta be a relief!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter