collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 Peaches Quality Rifle tag  (Read 10285 times)

Offline GASoline71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
Re: 2022 Peaches Quality Rifle tag
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 07:17:07 AM »
Been hunting that area since 1992.  There has been a lot of logging done above Sand Creek on the mainline up to Raven's Roost.  We saw a crapload of elk up there last year with some decent bulls.  Lots of steep stuff low and high.  Be prepared with chains for your rig as the road gets compacted with snow and ice about 2 miles past Sand Creek and can be pretty sketchy on some of the corners.

It takes a lot of snow to push the big boys down.  We've seen big bulls down low in years past, but most we've seen up high in the steep stuff.  Good luck!

Gary 
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 07:47:47 AM »
Been hunting that area since 1992.  There has been a lot of logging done above Sand Creek on the mainline up to Raven's Roost.  We saw a crapload of elk up there last year with some decent bulls.  Lots of steep stuff low and high.  Be prepared with chains for your rig as the road gets compacted with snow and ice about 2 miles past Sand Creek and can be pretty sketchy on some of the corners.

It takes a lot of snow to push the big boys down.  We've seen big bulls down low in years past, but most we've seen up high in the steep stuff.  Good luck!

Gary
snow will be a non issue during the time frame of this hunt.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 10:04:54 AM »

Gary
snow will be a non issue during the time frame of this hunt.

Didn't even think of the "quality" hunt timeframe.  Was thinking like the "bull elk" hunt during the part of general season.  LOL

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »
Sorry for the poor my grammar, massive confusion and saying the same thing over and over again in different ways.     
   I don't think he will have to worry about snow during his hunt days because he has the quality bull tage in 346. But anything can happen. In my opinion When Having that tag the most effective thing a guy could do is hunt the logging roads and clear cuts and low land wilderness instead of going up into the high wilderness and alpine Meadows and stuff like that. During the time of that tag he will have the luxury of NOT competing with massive spike hunters and other people so the high elevation clear cuts and logging roads will be prime spots giving him access to way more elk then the high wilderness would unless he has horses not to mention, staying down low will yeald significantly more options as to what he can and can't do hands down. When I say high elevations I'm talking about the cement basin area, fog city trail area and up above Morse creek area...ect. Going up to such high elevations is so very fun and all that but once ur up there ur kind of stuck up there and that can be a bad thing because if ur on a bull and the heard busts u the whole heard can move to a completely different drainage or something like that plus it takes alot of resources and stuff to hunt up that high like that.
A guy can easily spend too much time walking 1/4-1/2 the day trying to find elk and walking such long distances in thoes kind of areas will decrease ur hunt effectiveness compared to walking and driving in and around clear cuts and logging roads because the clear cuts amd logging roads can easily produce elk at any time. Yes both situations can at any time but the high clear cuts amd logging roads has a way better chance.  In my experience when hunting the high alpine areas ur not constantly in a situation where elk can come out at any second but down where im talking about every second is likely to produce and elk whether ur driving to a spot on a logging road or walking to a spot u picked out earlier scouting. When i say the high logging roads amd clear cuts im talking about the 1920 road amd fifes ridge road and all thoes roads going up to Raven's Roost.
If ur hunting the logging roads/clear cuts and u get busted or run into other hunters or ur not seeing elk or whatever all u have to do it get back in ur truck and drive to a different spot. U have way more options down low and in turn having Way more variation in habitats to choose from and styles and methods to ur disposal making it so u can taylor fit the hunting spot and ur hunt method to ur hunt situations at the time of day, what the weather is doing that day, what u think the elk r going to be doing that day or hour or how u feel that day. In my experience having more options in allmost ALL situations yealds better results. Don't forget the pack out is way easier too lol.  Again sorry for the poor writing

Gary

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 03:58:42 PM »
Several years ago when I had the muzzy tag there were more elk just down along the river in the mornings. Driving lots of roads stopping listening for bugles you will be in a lot of bulls. I honestly can’t think of a spot we went from high to low where we didn’t see bulls. The biggest bull we saw was in the evening in the dark heading back to camp right on little naches river road. I also wouldn’t rule out areas of 336. You can find some stud bulls if you in the right area. The big g3 bull hit on 90 several years ago was crossing back and  fourth from teanaway to the Taneum. The ladies make them slip up.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline BLH69

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 04:38:54 PM »
Shot our last three big ones within a half mile of 410.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
Any scouting pics..
Trail cams? .
Peaches holds some monsters. Just gotta put in the work.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 06:03:19 PM »
Everyone wastes time in that little Naches area road hunting and praying. This a big unit lots area to cover from the top end of taneum towards windy pass, Mt Clift, North ridge, Greek creek. Biggest thing is around Sept 10 when the bull pull off there summer range in the bachelor groups that every Tom dick and harry have been scouting all summer and start chasing cows is when you need to concentrate on locating your shooter bull. Wish you luck and kill a masher there in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline JWBINX

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: LIFE NRA, RMEF
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 06:58:48 PM »
Scoutdog nailed it, My buddy had that tag a few years back and we camped at the Y where you can go Fifes ridge or Ravens roost.
There were a couple of Muzzy guys that killed big bulls 350+ by just dumb luck ( driving up high to make phone calls?) Those Big herd bulls that you generally never see have one thing on there mind---Cows. My buddy did kill a nice bull on that hunt.
Good luck to you, Perseverance and patience pays off.

Offline Danjoyls2k

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2022, 01:55:57 PM »
Head up towards Ravens roost
I liked the sand creek area
Good luck
I am jealous. I hunt up files for Mulies. Don't bother up that way so much for elk. They love the fresh cuts. Take the loop to the right as you cross crow creek at the ravens roost rd. You'll find elk. Massive bulls, spikes everything. I swear if they'd just open 346 to true spike archery, I'd never run out of meat in my freezer. But hey tag soup ain't as bad as people make it out to be.
I had the archery tag few years back but didn’t get a shot

Offline delphihunter

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: PSA
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 07:56:51 AM »
I'm getting more pumped by the day as September is right around the corner!  Just getting caught up on comments and cant say enough about how much I appreciate everyone's support.  I have couple more scouting trips planned before the big hunt and will post updates as time allows.  Gun is dialed and I've got a decent feel for the road systems in the area, now its more boots time scouting and hoping for a little luck from the elk gods!

Offline delphihunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 07:15:01 PM »
Peaches Ridge tag filled!  Thanks to each and every one of you who shared info, provided guidance and helped in my success.  Numerous scouting trips throughout the summer learning the area and determining where to focus were instrumental, however produced less sightings than anticipated – this is VAST/RUGGED country!  We set up camp on Wednesday (9/21) and were immediately seeing/hearing fired up bulls which continued through the week.  Opening morning found us set up in a valley holding three bulls.  While they were vocal, they weren’t visible and quickly began moving deeper – temps were headed to 83 degrees .  Instead of pressuring them, we headed toward plan B - on the way, my buddy Howie suggested we try a bugle off an overlook which was immediately met with a response (loud and up-close!).  My nephew Jon bailed and spotted the bull - I quickly followed, got set up and waited for yardage (256).  After a few seconds of studying the bull, a first shot anchored him (spine) with follow ups to ensure no lost animal, unnecessary tracking, or falling deeper into the abyss (very steep).  Boned out meat and packs were in the truck by 11:30am on opening day.
The bull is icing on the cake as we met some great people, witnessed beautiful scenery, and shared in some once in a lifetime experiences.  Huge shout out to my nephew (Jon), and best buds (Howard/Kurt) for making the trip to support me and busting their asses getting the bull off the mountain.
Grateful and gracious,
Doug

Offline delphihunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2022, 07:17:39 PM »
I'm not tech savvy so here is another post so I can add a pic of our crew.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2022, 07:18:36 PM »
Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)