collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Razor Clams  (Read 5018 times)

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Razor Clams
« on: July 08, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
Saffron Razor clam soup and fried razor clams.
Diggers for the soup and necks/bodies for frying.

Fried Clams
1 cup masa
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
(feel free to add cayenne if you want them spicy)

Soak in buttermilk then dredge in dry mixture, then back to butter milk, then back to dry mix. Fry at 350 for 2 min.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Razor Clams
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 02:34:08 PM »
Saffron Razor clam soup and fried razor clams.
Diggers for the soup and necks/bodies for frying.

Fried Clams
1 cup masa
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
(feel free to add cayenne if you want them spicy)

Soak in buttermilk then dredge in dry mixture, then back to butter milk, then back to dry mix. Fry at 350 for 2 min.

Looks delicious, as always!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 10:20:33 PM »
Recipe for Saffron Razor Clam soup? Tx, 253sg
Turkey Geek

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 08:08:45 PM »
@253shotgunner

The original recipe was from the Meateater cookbook. I've changed it around a bit to work with razor clams and for how I like to make a seafood "cheater" stock.

Saute 2 rough chopped garlic cloves, 2 tbs rough chopped leeks and 2 tbs rough chopped fennel, about 5 min. Add 1 cup dry white wine and reduce for 5 min. Add 2 quarts chicken stock, two bay leafs and add a handful shrimp shells, simmer for 20 min.
Strain out solids. Add more stock or water to make up for what you lost during simmering. Set aside.

Melt 3 tbs butter and saute 3 tbs diced leeks, 3 tbs diced fennel, 1 diced shallot and cook for 8 min. Increase heat to med high and add 1/2 cup brandy for about a min, then add 1 cup dry white wine and continue to cook for 5 min. Add back the stock mixture, 1/2 tsp saffron, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 min.  Add diced clam diggers for about a min or until cooked, remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup creme fraiche.

Serve in bowls, garnish with chives. Crusty bread doesn't hurt to serve along side.

Offline 253shotgunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 08:16:41 PM »
@merkaba93 Thanks for the recipe. I am definitely going to make this.  :tup:
Turkey Geek

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 03:29:04 PM »
If you have the time to steam your Fresh Razor Clams open, you can then smoke them in their Shells for about 20 minutes in your smoker... Delicious.
 (If you are too tired from the trip home from the Ocean, you can use the following recipe in the near future, by first Steaming then Freezing your Razors in their Shells and take out as many as you need.)  :drool:

Smoked Razor Clams
(1 limit of razor clams cut into small pieces)
1/2 Cup oil
1 tbsp. Liquid smoke
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. seasoning salt
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. celery salt
1 tbsp. garlic powder

Combine and stir oil and seasonings, then add clams. Bake on cookie sheet or in shallow pan at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Stir and drain frequently, saving juice. Store clams and juice in air-tight container. Will keep in refrigerator 2-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 05:18:17 PM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 04:06:57 PM »
Those smoked clams look good!

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 04:10:49 PM »
Razor clam stir fry and fried razor clam wontons.

Wontons:
4-5 oz whipped cream cheese, 1 diced green onion, 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Dice razor clam necks.
Cook clams and green onions in sesame oil for about 45 seconds.
Mix ingredients, place 1 heaping teaspoon of mix in center of wanton wraps. Wet edges and fold. 
Heat oil to 325 and fry for 1-2 min.

Makes about 18-20 wontons. Feel free to freeze the ones that you don't use. Fry directly from frozen.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 04:19:37 PM by merkaba93 »

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 05:29:23 PM »
Very nice.  Those Rangoon's are great with crab too, shrimp also.  My recipe is near exact.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 01:48:03 PM »
I've been on a razor clam kick. I think this might be my favorite. Red Curry Soup.

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 01:53:46 PM »
I've been on a razor clam kick. I think this might be my favorite. Red Curry Soup.
Looks amazing and i love curry. Attach the recipe if you get a chance.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 08:19:06 AM »
@3boys

Red Curry Soup

In soup pot, saute 3 diced garlic cloves, 1 red diced bell pepper and 1/2 diced onion until tender, about 5 min. Add 3 tbs red curry paste (Thai and True out of Portland is my favorite) and 1 tbs grated ginger, continue to cook about 1 min. Add 6 cups chicken stock (or shrimp/clam infused cheater stock) 1 can coconut milk, 3 stocks lemongrass, 2 lime leafs. Bring to boil and cook 10 min. Remove lemongrass and lime leafs. Then add 1 tbs fish sauce and 2 tsp brown sugar, cook about 5 min. In the last few min add razor clams, diced diggers, necks or both. Remove from heat add 3 green onions thinly sliced, 1/2 cup cilantro leafs, and 1/4 cup Thai basil leafs and juice from one lime. Add salt as needed.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 04:49:10 PM »
Manhattan Clam Chowder. I feel like I have enough razor clam soup recipes to go to now.

Next protein to tackle. Albacore. My dad and I just came home with 93 lbs. So going to need to have some variety.

Offline jstrickc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 04:59:29 PM »
@3boys

Red Curry Soup

In soup pot, saute 3 diced garlic cloves, 1 red diced bell pepper and 1/2 diced onion until tender, about 5 min. Add 3 tbs red curry paste (Thai and True out of Portland is my favorite) and 1 tbs grated ginger, continue to cook about 1 min. Add 6 cups chicken stock (or shrimp/clam infused cheater stock) 1 can coconut milk, 3 stocks lemongrass, 2 lime leafs. Bring to boil and cook 10 min. Remove lemongrass and lime leafs. Then add 1 tbs fish sauce and 2 tsp brown sugar, cook about 5 min. In the last few min add razor clams, diced diggers, necks or both. Remove from heat add 3 green onions thinly sliced, 1/2 cup cilantro leafs, and 1/4 cup Thai basil leafs and juice from one lime. Add salt as needed.

We love adding a good amount of peanut butter to our curries, makes it closer to a Panaeng curry.   :P

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
Razor Clam Carbonara

Take 1 lbs razor clams and dice into about a size of a nickel. Set clams and juice aside separately. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add clam juice, strain if any foam forms. Cook 1 lb dry spaghetti until al dente in the water/clam juice mix, set aside, save a cup of pasta water.
While spaghetti cooks heat a 12 inch skillet over med heat and add 4 oz pancetta (cut into 1/4 inch cubes) and saute for about 10 min. Remove and let drain on paper towel. Add 1 medium onion diced and 4 cloves garlic to skillet and saute for 5 min. Add chopped clams and pancetta, cook until clams are barely done about 1-2 min.
In a small bowl whisk 1 whole egg, 4 egg yolks, 3/4 cup grated parmigiana-reggiano and a pinch of nutmeg. Add cooked spaghetti to pan (still set to med heat) and drizzle in the egg mixture, tossing noodles as you go until fully incorporated. Add a splash of pasta cooking water and toss until noodles look silky. Season with salt and pepper and add 1 tbs butter, 1/4 cup chives, oregano, thyme and basil.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal