1 (4.2%)
Top vision
0 (0%)
Spartan
2 (8.3%)
Wild game innovations
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Cellular game camera  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Cellular game camera
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 11:09:10 AM »
I've had a Spartan No Glow for 6 years and it has now taken 46,000 photos.  Love it, but it is/was a bit expensive.  I now have three Spypoint Micros.  For $100 buck each they do a good job.  I have one that I only have it send all the photos once a day at 0600.  The other two sends them every 2 hours which greatly helps with battery life.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline salmosalar

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »
So we figure that the dudes that are steeling the cam's are seeing the flash/ glow. I am assuming a no glow camera will solve the issue. There is no cell service at all where it is happening.
Any suggestions on the best value for no glow cameras?
Also, does anyone have a camera or 2 that does not work. I'm happy to pay for shipping. 
Spy vs. spy

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 10:05:54 PM »
I have seen more cameras in the woods hiking than I can count and never once spotted one because of flash or lights. Spotted it cause it was not hidden

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 05:53:37 AM »
Count to what 1 or 2!! :chuckle:

Offline HuntandFish

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 06:40:34 AM »
Why I Cuddleback or cuddle link? Not one you guys use? Are the others that much better? I have a network of 3 and about to add a few more for my property and they seem to work fine? Picture quality isn’t the best, but not horrible. And seems to have good battery life. Been happy with them. But maybe I should switch to a better set up? Do they all have options to link multiple cameras together?

H&F

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »
I used a moultrie cell cam last year.
It did work ok ....as far as cell service,taking pics,and function.
No matter the settings it just drains batterys,internal or external battery.
So between the battery,and cost of service....
I can maintain all my regular trail cams for the year.
No way I'm out of the cell cam game.
I do still use it as a regular trail cam without service.
I can't set the date and time cause that's set by your service .
But oh well .
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 08:30:18 AM »
Did a lot of research before I bought a cell cam. Tactacam seem to be the best one in my eyes from quality , ease of setup and actually work. A solar panel to me is a must as it sounds like you may get close to a year out of batteries with it.

Offline salmosalar

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
I have seen more cameras in the woods hiking than I can count and never once spotted one because of flash or lights. Spotted it cause it was not hidden

I am sure that is true. In this case, they are taking them when they drop off garbage at night. That's why I think the glow/ light matters. I doubt it makes a difference for cameras seen in the daylight.

The trail cameras used for game aren't hidden well at all. It's private ground so you really should not have to. I guess that we have to though.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 11:51:21 AM »

:yeah:
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 11:58:06 AM »

I am sure that is true. In this case, they are taking them when they drop off garbage at night. That's why I think the glow/ light matters. I doubt it makes a difference for cameras seen in the daylight.

The trail cameras used for game aren't hidden well at all. It's private ground so you really should not have to. I guess that we have to though.

Yes the No Glow does not give off any light at night.  I think a couple of things would/will help with theft.  First off the Trail Camera Industry could pretty much end thefts if they would make all the cameras need a pin code to access.  There is no point stealing my Spartan, because you have to have the code to turn it on or make any adjustments.  Also with the Spypoint Micros you can report it stolen and I believe they disable it...not sure as I have not had to test that yet.  So far I have only had a regular trail camera stolen, a Moultrie, but it was set up waist level, also on Private grounds.  I also think if you get your camera up higher than they can reach, most will go undetected and or they will not bother them when they are out of reach.  Certainly they could still come back with steps or even cut the tree down if they want it bad enough, but most don't want to hang around in the area that long.
Fred Moyer

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 12:11:11 PM »

Yes the No Glow does not give off any light at night.  I think a couple of things would/will help with theft.  First off the Trail Camera Industry could pretty much end thefts if they would make all the cameras need a pin code to access.  There is no point stealing my Spartan, because you have to have the code to turn it on or make any adjustments.  Also with the Spypoint Micros you can report it stolen and I believe they disable it...not sure as I have not had to test that yet.  So far I have only had a regular trail camera stolen, a Moultrie, but it was set up waist level, also on Private grounds.  I also think if you get your camera up higher than they can reach, most will go undetected and or they will not bother them when they are out of reach.  Certainly they could still come back with steps or even cut the tree down if they want it bad enough, but most don't want to hang around in the area that long.
All of my cams have some kone of lock,cable,box,and up high if possible. I carry tree stand steps with me,and keys.
Kinda of a pain ,standing on tree steps and going through a key ring of keys to figure out what key you need.
My basic list is.
Blank SD cards,so I don't run my memory downloading photo
Tree steps
Keys
Extra batterys
Card reader.

Just the basics.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2022, 12:15:21 PM »

The pin numbers would work for people that are stealing them to use but not the ones that get stolen because people are doing something they're not supposed to and steal them to get rid of the evidence.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »

The pin numbers would work for people that are stealing them to use but not the ones that get stolen because people are doing something they're not supposed to and steal them to get rid of the evidence.

Agreed, but I think the vast majority are stealing them to use elsewhere.
Fred Moyer

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2022, 12:51:07 PM »
What I am confused about that if it says "Verizon" is it only compatible with Verizon subscriptions?
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2022, 12:57:51 PM »
Subscriptions should be the same, it's just the service provider. In the area I put two this weekend, I knew my Verizon phone got service up there so I bought that camera/card combo. But if AT&T had better service up there I'd buy that cambera/card combo.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]