collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brisket #3/65 hours  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
Re: Brisket #3/65 hours
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2022, 09:00:06 PM »
Excellent......for next time it might be useful to write down your process, times and temps.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 06:23:30 AM »
I only forget the mistakes. 225-240 smoke for 3 hours. 140 in the bath for 50 hours. Rest 20 minutes. Pig out.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
I only forget the mistakes. 225-240 smoke for 3 hours. 140 in the bath for 50 hours. Rest 20 minutes. Pig out.

It's all written down now with your post. Including your command decision to reduce the number of hours in the bath. Good instinct to make a change to the plan during the process and have it work out. If you feel like trying something different in the beef family, some thick chunks of boneless chuck roast will yield some very nice Que. Should work with your posted times.....maybe a little less.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2022, 08:00:12 AM »
The water in the tank started to turn brown after 24 hours. I was afraid the vacuum seals weren't tight. That's when I looked for different recipes and came up with the Anova brisket recipe for 50 hours. It turned out that the smoke just leeched through the bags but the seal was solid - no water in the bags.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2022, 08:30:24 AM »
Aaahh! It looks incredible man! What do you guys use to keep the water temp?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »

I use the Anova sous vide circulator. There are many different brands out there ranging from about $75-400. For home use, the $75 ones at 800W will usually do the trick. Don't go lower than 800W. For large pieces of meat, I use the 18qt Cambro with the lid to avoid vaporization on longer cooks.

Sous vide means under vacuum in French. It's a method of cooking food in water in a vacuum-sealed (or in a Ziplock with the air forced out by pushing the meat down in the water while the bag is open on one end until the air is forced out and closing the bag) at an exact temperature to achieve a specific doneness. For example: for steak medium-rare, the water temperature is 130F and cook for 1-2 hours. When the meat is done, it's perfectly medium-rare all the way through. And because it's cooked already, searing in a pan takes about one minute on each side. I also use a torch for searing roasts and larger cuts.

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2022, 09:31:52 AM »
The water in the tank started to turn brown after 24 hours. I was afraid the vacuum seals weren't tight. That's when I looked for different recipes and came up with the Anova brisket recipe for 50 hours. It turned out that the smoke just leeched through the bags but the seal was solid - no water in the bags.

I was once rendering beef tallow and didn't realize the heat at which you need to render it would melt my seals. Whole bottom of my bag blew out. About 2x lbs of beef fat let loose into my bath. That was a lesson.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2022, 09:38:49 AM »

I was once rendering beef tallow and didn't realize the heat at which you need to render it would melt my seals. Whole bottom of my bag blew out. About 2x lbs of beef fat let loose into my bath. That was a lesson.

I think the ziplocks have a higher melting point. I've used them to 180F. Hefty 2.5 gal as well.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2022, 02:00:00 PM »

I use the Anova sous vide circulator. There are many different brands out there ranging from about $75-400. For home use, the $75 ones at 800W will usually do the trick. Don't go lower than 800W. For large pieces of meat, I use the 18qt Cambro with the lid to avoid vaporization on longer cooks.

Sous vide means under vacuum in French. It's a method of cooking food in water in a vacuum-sealed (or in a Ziplock with the air forced out by pushing the meat down in the water while the bag is open on one end until the air is forced out and closing the bag) at an exact temperature to achieve a specific doneness. For example: for steak medium-rare, the water temperature is 130F and cook for 1-2 hours. When the meat is done, it's perfectly medium-rare all the way through. And because it's cooked already, searing in a pan takes about one minute on each side. I also use a torch for searing roasts and larger cuts.

Right, I was just curious what brand you would recommend as I was thinking of getting one for cooking like this and possibly another one for maceration of old heads and euro mounts etc. Thanks for the info!

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
If it never reaches 203ish degrees how is it going to be tender?

A brisket gets tender once it makes it past "the stall"......that should easily be accomplished by a total of 65 hours under a couple of applications of heat.

I've ate plenty of tough brisket that made it way past the stall.  203ish in the bbq world is tender but not pulled.

Glad it turned out.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2022, 07:08:23 PM »
If it never reaches 203ish degrees how is it going to be tender?

A brisket gets tender once it makes it past "the stall"......that should easily be accomplished by a total of 65 hours under a couple of applications of heat.

I've ate plenty of tough brisket that made it way past the stall.  203ish in the bbq world is tender but not pulled.

Glad it turned out.

Not sure what you mean by "pulled" in terms of brisket. I wasn't saying that you should take the brisket off heat at the moment that the stall is finished.......since you will not know exactly when that has happened. You questioned if it would get tender after 65 hours at a fairly low temp......that was reduced to 50 hours and has been reported as being tender and excellent. I know next to nothing about the sous vide process.

I'm starting my smoker tomorrow at 6:00 AM and will cook a brisket (described above in Reply #25) for 8 hours uncovered at 225-250........2 more hours covered at same temp and 1 hour of rest, still covered. This is semi-experimental, since these times are shorter than normal, but I'm looking to reduce the time to get a good brisket result. I just monitor my smoker's temp gauge keeping it at 225-250 and let the clock do the work. I don't check internal meat temp. I'll post the results in this thread.....good, bad or total fail. 

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
Well i had to give this one a try. I purchased a small brisket at a big box store. Way to much fat on it!
I ended up smoking it for 4 hours at 190. I put it in the Sous Vide on Sunday at 9pm and took it out on Wednesday at around 6pm so it was in there for around 69 hours. It turned out amazing and fork tender. What makes it easy is the short time on the smoker. Once its in the Sous Vide its just being patient.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2022, 11:14:33 AM »
That looks great! Doing it this way made all the difference in the moisture.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2022, 11:15:55 AM »
What temp did you go with?

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2022, 12:05:58 PM »