collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl hunting with a canoe  (Read 3134 times)

Offline burritosupreme2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Dennis Seematter II
  • Groups: Washington state waterfowl
Waterfowl hunting with a canoe
« on: August 15, 2022, 08:41:16 PM »
Hello everyone I am thinking about buying a Canoe for duck hunting because want because they are light and some what budget friendly, but  also that deep hu could hold alot and also hide me very well. I want to get but I was wondering if I could get some questions answered.

1. I live on the Westside of Washington and it rains alot here, what do duck hunters do to deal with all that water coming in?
2. I want to get a Canoe so I can have a second person go hunting with me. Can I do this and if so what should I be worried about?
3. If you have ever gone hunting with a Canoe what do you recommend?
4. How do you camouflage the boat so it blends into the environment, do you use raffia?
5. Last question for now what brand of 2 person Canoe should I look for or what characteristics should a Canoe have to be good for hunting?

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
Re: Waterfowl hunting with a canoe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 08:51:43 PM »
Once you are all set and ready to go on your first trip, make a call and buy some good life insurance for your family.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 09:03:30 PM »
I have hunted by myself in a canoe with a dog, and I  have hunted out of a Aqua-pod. 

Where are you going hunting?
Have you hunted it before? have you been out in a small boat or canoe in that area before?
Have you had experience with a canoe before?

1 A couple of small bailers like a Gatorade bottle or something cut out.
2 a second person helps paddle but makes it hard to hunt from.
3 Depends on the previous questions I asked
4 Burlap, Raffia, camo net,  spray paint... Normally just used for transportation.
5 I think this answer is highly dependent on the original questions I asked.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 09:30:31 PM »
Great for trasportation to a shore blind. Don't hunt from one unless you are tucked in reeds in very shallow water. If you are in a good spot, you will flip the canoe.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 11:14:04 PM »
I would not hunt out of a canoe.
I simply wouldn't feel safe......   Plus I would worry about dumping my shotgun and gear.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 07:55:32 AM »
Tippy unless you put outriggers on it.
Some things ‘sound’ better and more ‘romantic’ then they actually work.
I helped look for two guys in lake Kapousin (sp) that tipped over in a canoe and drowned trying to recover a duck. They did not have on life vests.
A small jon boat or v hull would probably be about the same price.
I know people hunt and fish out of canoe’s and Kayaks, but try one with your gear if you can and see if it is for you.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 08:02:24 AM »
Once you are all set and ready to go on your first trip, make a call and buy some good life insurance for your family.

This man just spoke gospel.
Those old school canoes are as bad as a three wheeler!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:11:31 AM »
I've used one for transportation to a spot and to chase cripples. (paddle is excellent for whacking a swimming cripple) Not a good platform to shoot out of.

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 09:06:14 AM »
I'll agree with all that has been said above.

1. PFD
2. More for transportation than hunting out of

That being said, a canoe is a great westside waterfowling tool that will open up lots of hunting options for you. For this season, I'd focus on exploring new areas in your canoe and coming back to set up in places where you flushed birds. Best of luck and have fun.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 09:23:09 AM »
I used to have a 17' Old Town that I hunted from.  Great for back channels, lakes and small bodies of water that are flat.  If you get any weather or wind, your chances of swamping it or flipping it go way up.  When I was younger, we did swamp our canoe on Lake River and lost one of our shotguns.  It was a sketchy swim to the shore and luckily the river wasn't too wide or it could have been a really bad situation.  If you’re going to get a canoe, make sure you get some time behind the paddle and get the balance for it.  Not everyone has good balance or knows how to properly paddle.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Oldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
If you hunt using a canoe, make sure to tie anything that doesn't float to the canoe. I dumped in a stream and only lost a couple of things, but my shotgun was in its case, and my blind bag were saved.

Offline harleymc

• Pilgrim
    • Harley McAllister
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 01:30:38 PM »
Always wear a PFD, and think about what you wear for waders.  Trying to swim with chest waders full of water is not a good plan.
I agree with Oldguy about tying things to the boat, and/or get dry bags to put stuff in that do float.
If you are thinking about shooting out of it I would definitely rig up some sort of outrigger that you could set up to make it at least somewhat stable.

Offline Oldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
Regarding swimming with waders, I speak from experience. Once from canoe tip-over and several from over ambitious wading in iffy river crossing. Waders do not pull you down since the water in them isn't being lifted out or their normal surroundings. Neoprene waders will aid floating and the fabric type will probably have a little air trapped if you remembered to wear your wader belt. The biggest problem is met at the beach and that involves getting vertical. I have found that when you arrive at the beachhead, stay flat and if there is any slope, get you feet uphill and remove your wader belt to let water flow out. If there is no slope, gradually lift your legs as the water spills out. Remember to release any fish since this is probably considered a non-legal catch method.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 07:23:56 AM »
In my younger days I was a quite accomplished whitewater canoeist and have dumped a canoe in just about every condition imaginable...even on purpose on hot, sunny days.  Waterfowl hunting is the opposite of that.  Nonetheless, I did for a period of time after moving to Idaho hunt out of a canoe.  Both solo and with a partner.  This was all on flat water lakes and impounded rivers.  Virtually no current, rapids or snags.  You still have to be at the top of your game and be on the same page so as not to tip a gunwale under water.  We did not hunt with a dog at the time.  IMO dog’s movements are just too unpredictable for canoe hunting. 

We did not hunt in the canoe.  We merely used it for transport and hunted with lightweight homemade shore blinds, i.e., burlap or die-cut camp fabric on sticks.  For propulsion we used a 12V trolling motor and then I bought an old Johnson 2 HP Sea Horse motor that would push the canoe well.

If I ever hunted from a canoe again (and I won’t) I would use some kind of outrigger type system for safety.  There are some brands of canoes out there including Sportspal that have flotation laminated to the sides at the gunwale level and are somewhat more stable than a standard canoe.  You can look into them.

If money is an object, I think a smaller 14’-15’ Jon boat with a 9.9 HP outboard can be found on a budget and is a somewhat more safer option than hunting out of a canoe.  Better yet, a 16 foot Jon with a 25.  Just my .02.

Finally, NEVER get in a canoe in the winter with thick hunting clothing and waders without a VERY GOOD life jacket.  Failure to do so is a good way to kill yourself.

Offline Northcascadeshunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 08:09:12 PM »
I've hunted from my canoe and it's pretty awesome in nearly every respect. Nearly. It floats in almost no water at all especially if you get out and pull it which is pretty handy and it can move pretty quick and quiet over smooth water. That combined with a decent capacity for loading gear (mines 13') it makes a pretty reasonable option. The draw backs are pretty obvious though if you've ever spent much time in a canoe. They tip really easy and there's little to no ability to move around inside the boat. In cold and possibly moving water with the tides is more than just a bit dangerous depending on the conditions. Secondly it can be difficult to manage solo in higher winds. Past that I love my canoe and use it for basically anything and everything. Enjoy! Be safe!
P.s If your interested in a canoe savy duck partner Holler back at me. I'd be game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal