collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where is the bigger whitetail buck?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
Where is the bigger whitetail buck?
« on: August 18, 2022, 12:25:32 PM »
I've probably asked this before in years past but I am seeing some small and medium whitetail bucks but know there are a few really decent ones based on cams etc. The larger bucks are rarely with the bachelor groups as far as I can tell.

For you whitetail experts, do the larger more mature bucks avoid the smaller ones? Do they hang close? Are they off in their own territory? Observing from a distance. I would love an opportunity on bigger whitetail. Have taken several but nothing that could go archery P & Y.

All thoughts appreciated!

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Where is the bigger whitetail buck?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »
Wouldn't call myself a whitetail expert, but here are my thoughts.  Mature bucks will find a "core area" in their home range in which they can feel safe, even during a modern firearm season.  It is likely to be at least a few of the following things: steep, brushy, relatively further from roads or trails, on posted land, or with some other factor or factors that will reduce either human presence or the ability for humans to see them. 

The older the buck is, the more likely that he will be nocturnal for the majority of the year.  Thus, you'll see younger bucks around, but the real wallhangers are just not showing themselves most of the year.  The real vulnerability is during the rut, when the mature buck will be chasing does night and day.  That is the time to be hunting (November 10-30 is a good window).  Look for large scrapes and large rubs (large bucks will rub 2-4" saplings, smaller bucks generally go for smaller saplings, 1-2").   Use blinds or tree stands to set up on minor deer trails back in the brush- mature bucks will often keep to smaller trails with higher cover.  Rattling and grunting may work to pull a mature buck in for a chance at him (I shot my largest whitetail at 7 yards, from a tree stand, in a brushy, closed-in environment, after rattling in mid-November).  Other things to look for are "funnels" in the landscape, such as where two stands of timber are connected by a corner or a narrow corridor.  Such a place is a great place for a tree stand or a ground blind. 

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 01:11:14 PM »
For now, away from does and fawns and younger bucks, solitary mostly, higher where possible for somewhat cooler temps during the day and overnight, under or very near the (substantial) canopy where the sun cant beat down on them, water.  Or not.   

Online Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 01:40:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm even less of a whitetail expert but I can say the only time I ever saw with my eyes what I would call a mature buck (other than in ag fields along the highway) was about this time of year, in the middle of the day, when I jumped him out of his bed. He was in a very thick creek bottom and the only reason I was there was looking to find how far down a seasonal creek was running (outhouse can probably figure out exactly where I was from that, but I don't mind). There was a ton of beds and sign there but far be it from me to know if it was all from him or other deer were using it too and it was just him in there that day.

My old man runs cameras and gets big bucks at night but during the evening/morning it's all spikes to little fours. I'll be interested to read some more responses to this. I too would love one of the big boys but there's something about having to pass on the little ones to find big ones, or something like that I don't remember.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 01:58:16 PM »
IF.....you locate a target buck, then you can pass lesser bucks for a while, but in the end a solid meat buck is all you can ever expect.  If you do not have a particular target buck then of course that solid meat buck becomes a no pass buck, especially after last years blue tongue, mentioning that, we could be a few short weeks from another visit of blue tongue.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 05:53:19 PM »
On private.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 07:07:47 PM »
On private.

:yeah:

I've only seen a few dandies since I rarely hunt them intentionally but the couple I have were tucked into a tiny hidey hole on private land, you had to practically be on top of them to even see them. 

Either that or downtown in some lady's flowers.  I came into town last year and almost hit one running out of a yard.  We parked, went to a bar for a burger and there was another pretty good one in the alley behind the bar.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 11:55:40 AM »
Thank you all for the responses. JP knows the issue/area I am talking about, and we know there are some giants but they are so elusive. The steeper and deeper aspect is interesting because when I go up high I usually just see mule deer but now that I think about it we had one stud whitetail on a higher up trail camera but that was back in 2012 when I started using cams.

The private property aspect is huge too. In the area I am talking about many of the 5 or so acres lots were vacant up until the last several years. We would see huge beds with obvious marks in the ground where the antlers laid on many lots. Those lots also had tons of thick understory for cover.

It sounds like I should go to the periphery and higher than the core areas of the lesser bucks. Look for smaller trails with heavy cover and ideally connecting other areas of cover. But first and foremost I just want the meat   :drool:

I would probably still shoot a basket buck if I saw one first. I'm just hoping for a P & Y someday. 

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 07:47:01 PM »
I hunt white tail on public land here in Oklahoma, usually the week before thanksgiving, still in the rut here. Big white tail are extremely elusive. One wiff of you, or if the see or hear you, they blow out and do not stop. A Muley will run over a hill, and forget all about you.
 I see between 10 and 20 “legal” shooters a year. I see sign of huge bucks every year, but I have only caught glimpses of three truly huge white tail bucks. In six years of trying to get a “spot and stock” Wall hanger white tail buck.
No chance to harvest either.
All three have some of the nastiest thick brush and forest close .
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 08:39:56 PM »
I’ve seen it all. I’ve watched 190” buck hang with a forky, I’ve watched countless 130-150 bucks run with groups of bucks from 1.5 yr olds to 4+. I’ve watched mature bucks live completely solo. A mature buck is not going to leave a core area.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]