collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone Not Hunting WA this year?  (Read 5102 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Anyone Not Hunting WA this year?
« on: September 01, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »
I'm hunting CO late rifle OTC bull elk. I just couldn't get excited about hunting here this year for the first time in 30 years. The combination of me having to use a CPAP which normally means renting a trailer, the poor predator management, commission problems - I just couldn't get into spending the extra $250 to hunt a few weekends this year here. Anyone else not hunting for the first time in a long time?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Anyone Not Hunting WA this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 12:21:21 PM »
Well not 1st time, I stopped hunting WA about 6 years ago becuse you could see the direction things were going with predators and less opportunity.  I hunt 4th season in CO as well for cows and normally bring one home.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »
Surely not for big game, I have two weeks I can hunt and I'm going to use both of them in MT for archery then back for rifle.  I just can't see spending valuable time here when I have the opportunity to hunt there.

That said, I've been thinking of starting to do weekend fall bear hunts, assuming it's still legal next year...

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 12:52:21 PM »
I think that I’m done with elk hunting, anywhere.  Don’t have the knees for it anymore.  Don't really need that much meat.

I passed on two different bears last year, I just didn’t want to deal with the pack out and meat processing; so, I’m probably done with those as well. 

On the fence about deer hunting in WA, we will see.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 03:11:35 PM »
If I do, it will be just a couple days for deer, but most likely not.  I'll be gone the entire elk season to MT, MO and maybe WI.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 03:23:00 PM »
If I do, it will be just a couple days for deer, but most likely not.  I'll be gone the entire elk season to MT, MO and maybe WI.

Similar to me. Maybe a weekend of deer and all other big game will be in other states. Just waterfowl here
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 03:29:49 PM »
Hunting Washington will be my third option. Priority is Wyoming antelope, Idaho deer and then Washington. Hard to get motivated for this poorly managed state.

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 03:33:14 PM »
Yep, our deer herds are in tough shape.   This will be my second year skipping the Wa deer hunt.

I do have tags in ID, WY and MT, so still plenty of hunting to do.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 03:34:10 PM »
This is my first season hunting out of state. My friend who gets the cabin for us says most shots are within archery range 30-40 yards. I'm excited to get into some animals.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 03:36:42 PM »
I might hunt a bit for blacktail, but this is the first year I haven’t applied for any special hunts or bought a tag of any kind. It is really hard for me not to but can’t give the wdfw any more money to piss away. I haven’t hunted mule deer here for almost 10 years.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 03:42:14 PM »
I buy my tags, but spend most of my time finding my kids turkeys, bear, deer and elk in the state.  Last big game animal I killed in WA was a bear a couple years ago.  I spend most of my time these days helping new hunters be successful.  My one big hunt per year is in Canada.   

I do spend a ton of time in the field hunting Washington....It's not all about the kill for me anymore.  I love being in the mountains and the kill is icing on the cake.  So far this year, I took a friend and helped him get his first bear.  Working on finding a bear for a new hunter....with no luck so far. 

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 06:33:15 PM »
For me, because I usually have plenty of time, not hunting in my home state would seem a little too clever by half. With the draws always a possibility, over the counter elk, incredible bear hunting, and some other reasonable over the counter opportunities, I won't be skipping Washington anytime soon
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 06:46:42 PM »
Haven't hunted in Washington for about 8 years. Might go on a few waterfowl outings if it looks like the duck numbers warrant it.

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 08:27:57 PM »
This is my first season hunting out of state. My friend who gets the cabin for us says most shots are within archery range 30-40 yards. I'm excited to get into some animals.

Careful Pman. You'll get hooked!!!!

elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 08:42:10 PM »
I hear where you're at, but as a rifle/mz hunter it's worth it to me just for bear & high buck & draw opportunities.  Maybe there's a possible late whitetail hunt in NE after out of state hunts too.  I'm not hunting elk in WA this year though, and if I get out for reg. deer it's going to be super abbreviated.  WRT elk,  I've yet to be successful in chasing unicorns on the east side and might just wait til I draw something to hunt elk again in this state (even a cow tag, which seems to be almost an OIL thing these days).  There are still some amazing opportunities in this state - mostly black bear - and it's hard to ignore the discount relative to out-of-state and the increased potential for scouting to put things in your favor.  So, no, not planning on ditching my WA license anytime soon.

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 08:42:43 PM »
Just a local Blacktail will get my attention in WA. I’m not sure of the last season/year I’ve purposely taken time off and hunted elk in Washington? It’s been a few.  Gonna hunt a week and a half of archery elk in the Cowboy state, then after that, wait for it…. another week and a half rifle elk in the Cowboy state. Between my hunting partner of some 20 years and I, elk will die. Been planning this adventure for a handful of years. Leaving on 9 SEP, stories and pics to follow.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »
Wont be chasing Elk but will be chasing Blacktails with the bow as well as waterfowl. Probably not gonna take any time off just a weekend warrior.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »
4th year in a row of going out of state for archery elk.  Tons of points in WA but as soon as they get burnt I won't be reupping them. I like the high buck hunt but that means I have to fill my elk tag early

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2022, 06:53:25 AM »
I understand  the frustration  and disappointment  of hunting here. I have been dabbling in hunting MT and/ ID the past 5 years. I would bow hunt here and rifle hunt there.

I look at hunting here as training/practice  hunting in case  you  get to go some good. I started out big game hunt in AK. You can say I got spoiled  there, but I thought  if you put in the work you would  get a moose just about every year and if you shot two caribou that year you would  stop hunting big game because you had more than enough meat, friends and neighbors  had meat. Getting  a moose every year  was an expectation, caribou was a given.

When get disillusioned with hunting  here my wife just points to the walls (man house not man cave) and reminds me of what I have done here. Ya, I think it should be more. There are guys here that get their elk every  year, and that have already  filled two bear tags. It is possible.

My buddy that  I elk hunt with has taken  in quite  a few elk, me, I have done  OK, BUT if you figure  in "my almost stories" I would  be giving him a run his money.

Do to poor timing on my part  on a surgery I turned in my MT elk and deer. But I am still going  over for antelope. Here I switched from bow hunting elk to muzzle loader  for this year. I am traditonally a bowhunter for for elk, but I hunt deer with a rifle. Focus on late buck.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 07:24:42 AM by Threewolves »
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
I elk hunt and am turning 65 this year. I use a CPAP to sleep or I don't. So, unless someone has me hunting out of their cabin that has electricity, I have to rent a trailer or a hotel room. I've been trying to find partners to share the expense and so far they've turned out to be AHs. With the CO trip this year, I didn't want the extra expense of renting a trailer for WA, too. Although my years of hunting elk have been the greatest, I may be coming to the end of my hunting days. Too much hassle, to few opportunities, 14 years late on the honeymoon.

Offline Mulie87

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 07:58:59 AM »
I’m done with public land hunting in WA. Haven’t hunted public in three years, and lucky enough to have a private land blacktail spot and a private turkey spot. Once those dry up I’ll be done in this state. My first out of state hunting trip to MT in 2016 ruined this state for me, I just can’t get excited about combat hunting in WA for days/weeks on end on public land and not seeing anything legal. MT and WY are my go to, but struck out this year for the first tome in six years and didn’t get drawn.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2022, 08:25:28 AM »
Being done with Washington might not be an option in the future since the net has pretty much created over use of out of State hunting options...

What used to be easy States to hunt are now becoming very difficult to guarantee on a year to year basis.  And in most cases are going to become a every 2-3 year hunt... :twocents:

Offline Mulie87

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »
Sadly enough I think you’re right. The accessibility to information and good hunting land has upped out of state applicants. Too add fuel to the fire, wdfw has not done a stellar job keeping us here either. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2022, 09:39:11 AM »
Sadly enough I think you’re right. The accessibility to information and good hunting land has upped out of state applicants. Too add fuel to the fire, wdfw has not done a stellar job keeping us here either.

Most of the problems have to do with a Jay Inslee commission.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2022, 10:09:44 AM »
Just a local Blacktail will get my attention in WA. I’m not sure of the last season/year I’ve purposely taken time off and hunted elk in Washington? It’s been a few.  Gonna hunt a week and a half of archery elk in the Cowboy state, then after that, wait for it…. another week and a half rifle elk in the Cowboy state. Between my hunting partner of some 20 years and I, elk will die. Been planning this adventure for a handful of years. Leaving on 9 SEP, stories and pics to follow.
Awesome Buddy!   Good luck and enjoy!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »
You know,just throwing it out there.
Probably get the HW book thrown at me.
But you guys could hunt predators in Washington.
Be part of a solution,you know proactive.
Throw some of that money at your local state.

As non-resident hunting gets more expensive,less opportunities through draws and such.
You'll be forced to hunt WA ,then what ,all the seasons you could of feed some deer or elk through the winter,or took a predator or two are gone,put in a water hole at a spring,droped salt or anything that might help.
Sit around and complain that's it,that's the plan.

Out of state hunting,get ready I'm gonna say it.
Your not gonna like it.
May have spoiled a few of you.

All tell ya one other thing about it.
Hunting Washington you get what you put into it.

And most times ,you don't even get that ...LOL.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 11:27:33 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2022, 12:23:08 PM »

Most of the problems have to do with a Jay Inslee commission.

:yeah:

Jay appoints the Director and commission, they could have 1,000,000 of the best biologists and it wouldn't matter.  The department does the bidding of the governor, plain and simple.

I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.  I spend my money where it will be put to good use managing wildlife instead of destroying waterfowl habitat and studying frogs.

I would like to get into hunting predators in WA, unfortunately spring bear is off the table but fall bear is still an option and something I'll likely do going forward.

There are still a few really good youth tags although the department seems to be whittling those away even quicker than the adult special permits.

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2022, 12:54:10 PM »
I'll hunt Washington every day that I can and appreciate the opportunity. I get to hunt out of state a lot compared to some and I appreciate that as well but my cabin is here, my elk camp, partners and friends we've made in the 340 are here and I look forward to making new memories every year.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2022, 01:25:47 PM »
I elk hunt and am turning 65 this year. I use a CPAP to sleep or I don't. So, unless someone has me hunting out of their cabin that has electricity, I have to rent a trailer or a hotel room.

I have hunting partners that use CPAP in our wall tent.......I think one of them uses a deep cycle marine battery (?)......the charge lasts all week. Another guy uses some other device as his energy source. No generator involved. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get more specifics.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2022, 01:52:04 PM »
I elk hunt and am turning 65 this year. I use a CPAP to sleep or I don't. So, unless someone has me hunting out of their cabin that has electricity, I have to rent a trailer or a hotel room.

I have hunting partners that use CPAP in our wall tent.......I think one of them uses a deep cycle marine battery (?)......the charge lasts all week. Another guy uses some other device as his energy source. No generator involved. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get more specifics.

My wife uses a CPAP and when we're camping without power this is what we use:

https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-eb3a-portable-power-station

Offline Mulie87

• Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2022, 01:54:13 PM »
 NOw that predator hunting has been mentioned, that’s one thing I would like to get i to more. After whacking a yote who interrupted my deer hunt a couple weeks ago, I have the itch. I’m on the wetside and feel that for a good yote hunt you have to go to the Columbia basin🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2022, 03:14:01 PM »
I haven't elk hunted in WA in 5 years. Probably won't for the foreseeable future. I didn't even buy a tag this year or apply for permits. I will probably always deer hunt because it's close to home and pretty decent hunting.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2022, 05:01:50 PM »
Haven't hunted big game here in 3 years  . Still buy / apply for my quality and OIL tags , but this state just doesn't do it for me anymore .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2022, 09:44:09 PM »

[/quote

How many nights does she get from a full charge on the power station? How do you charge it?

Thanks
elksnout

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2022, 09:53:40 PM »

How many nights does she get from a full charge on the power station? How do you charge it?

Thanks
elksnout

We haven't really ever tested it for max number of nights but three nights only brings it down to about 50% if I remember right. Should be able to easily get 5 nights, maybe even up to seven I'm thinking. You can plug it into a cigarette lighter outlet in your vehicle and charge it while you're driving.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2022, 09:59:11 PM »
I’m not hunting this year due to having a reverse shoulder replacement surgery at the end of this month. Had to put off mine and my daughter’s Wyoming antelope and mule deer hunt until next year. Looking to hunt Alabama and Idaho next year as well.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2022, 10:07:13 PM »
I elk hunt and am turning 65 this year. I use a CPAP to sleep or I don't. So, unless someone has me hunting out of their cabin that has electricity, I have to rent a trailer or a hotel room. I've been trying to find partners to share the expense and so far they've turned out to be AHs. With the CO trip this year, I didn't want the extra expense of renting a trailer for WA, too. Although my years of hunting elk have been the greatest, I may be coming to the end of my hunting days. Too much hassle, to few opportunities, 14 years late on the honeymoon.
I have been on a cpap for almost 19 years. I figured out years ago that all I need is a 12v deep cycle marine battery and it will run my machine for up to 5-6 nights. A small solar panel can keep it charged indefinitely. It’s made camping possible again. It also works great when the power goes out. A 12v battery out of my boat is a lot more inexpensive and last longer than cpap specific battery packs.

Offline matthewchown

• Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2022, 11:07:43 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Pianoman, but understand. I still really appreciated meeting you a year ago and getting the low-down on hunting opportunities around Vancouver (and the cigars).

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2022, 05:36:12 AM »
Ill be hunting here and in the foreseeable future... too cheap to hunt here versus outta state and I have some pretty good whitetail and elk ground right out my door. WA tags may not be my priority , but it fills in the gaps in between outta state hunts.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Pianoman, but understand. I still really appreciated meeting you a year ago and getting the low-down on hunting opportunities around Vancouver (and the cigars).
  :tup:

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2022, 04:36:16 PM »
I still hunt and fish Washington a little, but its more like fill in hunting and fishing.

At some point in the future I may limit myself to clamming and crabbing, but haven't done it yet.

Offline BLH69

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2022, 04:48:54 PM »
No. I have got my deer for the last 27 years. Why would i not hunt here?

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2022, 09:19:44 PM »

Thanks
elksnout

We haven't really ever tested it for max number of nights but three nights only brings it down to about 50% if I remember right. Should be able to easily get 5 nights, maybe even up to seven I'm thinking. You can plug it into a cigarette lighter outlet in your vehicle and charge it while you're driving.

Seriously looking at purchasing this. On sale too. I've done the 12V battery thing and you really need two fully charged batteries and personally I find that's a PIA and for getting good batteries you're close to the same cost all in. I'm getting older and this device looks to be far easier to pack and store and I like the fact you can charge it from your vehicle. 
My CPAP requires 80 watts and this is rated for 600. I can also see many other uses aside from a CPAP too.

elksnout

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2022, 05:36:17 AM »
Haven't hunted big game here in 3 years  . Still buy / apply for my quality and OIL tags , but this state just doesn't do it for me anymore .
What does it for you then?

Offline Blade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »
No Archery Elk this year, first time in like 34 years.  In the process of moving to AZ next month, sold the house so too busy clearing out.  Miss those Bugles.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »
I haven’t for years. 
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline 2MANY