collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I’m new to bear hunting  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Petertm93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Peter C Rodriguez
  • Groups: Military
I’m new to bear hunting
« on: September 16, 2022, 11:11:20 PM »
I will be hunting Rayonier lands in GMU 624/621 this year for deer and I also have a bear tag. Last year I saw a enough black bear sign to make me start researching how I can go about tagging my first black bear. I bought a predator call and took it for a spin a couple times last season but no luck. I am confused on how to use it based off videos on youtube. Do I just blow as hard as I can into it and much as I can? Is there patterns I should know and when do I know when its time to call it a day? Any advice on what I can do/read/watch would be great. I hope to have some bear meat in my freezer this year. Thank you
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 08:36:08 AM by Petertm93 »

Offline longtrails

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: I’m new to bear hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:55:53 AM »
Make it sound like a crying baby with a struggle cry every so often and mix it up. Also dont just rely on a rabbit call especialy if their are not any rabbits in the area. Get more than one caller. Get the book called, The ultimate guide to blackbear hunting. Most of your questions will be answered in that book.

Offline Petertm93

• Pilgrim
    • Peter C Rodriguez
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 09:29:19 PM »
Make it sound like a crying baby with a struggle cry every so often and mix it up. Also dont just rely on a rabbit call especialy if their are not any rabbits in the area. Get more than one caller. Get the book called, The ultimate guide to blackbear hunting. Most of your questions will be answered in that book.

Thank you! I will get that book and give it a read

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
Start soft and work up from there. If you start by blowing as hard as you can you could send anything close into the next county.
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 07:50:25 AM »
Start soft and work up from there. If you start by blowing as hard as you can you could send anything close into the next county.
:yeah:

I will often start with a mouse squeeker for a couple of minutes. I have started too loud before and just heard the crashing signs of retreat - which also educates them.....
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »
Just as a little warning. Calling bear isn’t for everyone.   They often come in hard. If you don’t have your %/=$ together, lol.  You might need new shorts.   To me it’s like coating yourself in moose in heat cow pee, you don’t always get what you wanted out of it.   Just a heads up.   The experience can be quite exhilarating.   Calling bears that is, not the moose pee.

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 09:31:30 AM »

This is no joke about sounding like a baby! Last year my buddy's 9 month old called in a bear. We were all hiking together and stopped for lunch. His little girl was kinda fussing around while her momma was changing her. Next thing I know a bear had snuck up behind us about 20 yards away. It took off as soon as we locked eyes. Glad I didn't have to shoot as it would have been very loud

Offline Petertm93

• Pilgrim
    • Peter C Rodriguez
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 06:33:48 PM »
Just as a little warning. Calling bear isn’t for everyone.   They often come in hard. If you don’t have your %/=$ together, lol.  You might need new shorts.   To me it’s like coating yourself in moose in heat cow pee, you don’t always get what you wanted out of it.   Just a heads up.   The experience can be quite exhilarating.   Calling bears that is, not the moose pee.

Thank you, every time I call expect serious aggression and I’m usually with a buddy so we won’t get blind sided. However we have yet to call one in, I hope this year that changes and we can both fill our freezers.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal