collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt  (Read 10718 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt
« on: September 19, 2022, 07:31:16 AM »
I was checked by a fisheries guy at a boat launch on Lake Roosevelt on Sat. I brought up the subject of netting in front of my Lodge which has been almost non stop this year. Better get used to more of it. The third week in Oct. Fisheries dept and the tribe will be deploying 400 nets in Lake Roosevelt. 300 will target walleye and smallmouth out to 100 ft in depth. the others will be put in the shallows for pike and smallmouth. Then they will come back in Nov. and do it again. 
4,000 chinook salmon were stocked in the Colville River and another  batch was stocked in the Kettle River..This was done in March. In a netting set a month later they found 3 chinook smolt in the bellies of walleye.   Thus signing the death warrant for walleye and the NON Native Species in Lake Roosevelt. ( aren't squawfish native to the Columbia?)
Hate to tell them the nets do not discriminate and kill everything---even chinook and the HOLY red band trout. The shoreline in front of my place has dead fish washing up at an alarming rate...mostly trout...
Dept. Of Fish & Wildlife and the tribe...NOTHING TO SEE HERE...Move along.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 07:37:48 AM »
Truly a bummer. I do not understand why walleye and smallies are not embraced up there. That being said, there is no way to wipe out the toothy critters and smallmouth. There is just too much area and too many fisherman that love those species, that won't allow that to happen...Banks Lake is really close ;)

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 07:43:11 AM »
4000 smolt in that big a$$ lake? sounds like lip service to me.. they could have put 40000 and it would not make a dent... wonder how much money State /Feds funneled to Tribes for this finger wave stocking? Just another data point with Salmon, Tribes and State... not every questionable act happens in the sound and ocean sides!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 07:43:52 AM »
The tribe cant make up their mind on what sustenance fish they want...First it was kokanee, which was a flop.  Then it was rainbow, which was good but not big and good enough....and now they have their sights on the prized chinook. 

One big ole research project on the backs of the fisherman and resource.  Even if and when chinook get established the white man will not be allowed to participate.  Heck look how long the sturgeon project went on before anglers could participate.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:49:43 AM by HUNTIN4SIX »

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 07:56:32 AM »
One big ole research project on the backs of the fisherman and resource.  Even if and when chinook get established the white man will not be allowed to participate.  Heck look how long the sturgeon project went on before anglers could participate.

The "Death Barge" was fueling in Kettle Falls on Sunday at Yellow Pine. If you look at the vessel you will know just how much money, they are willing to spend. But I do wonder what Jay is going to do about the Governers Walleye cup? He might just have to rename it to the Salmon Festival.

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 08:59:43 AM »
I hope they run these same nets on the mid and lower Columbia. Walleye and bass don't belong so get them out. Eat them all.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »
 :rolleyes:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
I hope they run these same nets on the mid and lower Columbia. Walleye and bass don't belong so get them out. Eat them all.

Then, I hope they run those nets at the PEAK of the Salmon/Steelhead runs.   How about Squawfish...AKA Northern Pikie Minnow...They ARE native to the Columbia...They belong in the Columbia as a native fish.. Yet they  are paying to slaughter them by the thousands..... and by the way Lake Roosevelt is not a "Native" water.MAN made.. with no ocean run fish of any type.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 10:07:17 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with science, when you get salmon involved it's more about public perception and the court system (including significant out of state lobbying) than anything else.

Offline NWBrute

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 11:10:02 AM »
"by the way Lake Roosevelt is not a "Native" water.MAN made.. with no ocean run fish of any type"

That was not true before 1942, There were many, many ocean going fish in that portion of the Columbia river all the way to Canada. With that said, I don't think they will ever remove all of the species they target, nor will 4000 fish do anything to establish a population in the lake. It is basically a giant waste of tax payer money.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »
Man, we usually run up in January to fish walleye on Roosevelt, might need to make other plans this year. Bummer.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 12:13:47 PM »
Still plenty of walleye in the lake, but they're taking a heavy toll of anything very big.  Watched them pull nets by my place and didn't see anything but trout in the net.

Offline MeepDog

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »
I hope they remove all the trophy class hen walleye that misinformed people keep releasing into the Columbia. Protect the living salmon run, not the vacant upstream habitat that salmon once used. Removing walleye from lake Roosevelt is kind of a joke to be honest. Maybe when the salmon can get past the tourniquet dams with no fish ladders it would be worthwhile.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »
Salmon fishing will be dead in this state in 10 more years.

Walleye are a ball to catch on Roosevelt, and they are exceptional table fare.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline MeepDog

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 04:38:28 PM »
Salmon fishing will be dead in this state in 10 more years.

Walleye are a ball to catch on Roosevelt, and they are exceptional table fare.

Gary
Mule deer are hard to hunt, let's just destroy their habitat and raise cows instead? They are easy and taste good.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal