collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt  (Read 10716 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 05:35:20 PM »
Stupid comparison . If you think walleye are hurting your sacred salmon go out and catch and kill them After all..there is NO limit on the lower Columbia. Go for it...... instead of complaining about all the walleye and smallmouth....
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline GASoline71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 05:45:09 PM »
Salmon fishing will be dead in this state in 10 more years.

Walleye are a ball to catch on Roosevelt, and they are exceptional table fare.

Gary
Mule deer are hard to hunt, let's just destroy their habitat and raise cows instead? They are easy and taste good.

LMAO... Salmon ain't hard to catch... I'd recon they are dumber than Walleye.  If there weren't any commercial interests in salmon/trout/steelhead, they'd be treated just like any other fish in the system.  Then add in the wild fish nuts and it gets even better...  :o

And, Mulies ain't that hard to hunt either... poor comparison.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »
For the folks advocating for nets to kill walleye and smallmouth in the name of salmon on Lake Roosevelt, careful what you wish for. What we could end up with is 130 miles of lake/river with fewer overall fish and limited opportunity. When the opportunity does arise, yours will take a backseat to the folks that are now netting...it is how the system works.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 06:05:45 PM »
 :yeah:

I have yet to see a WDFW mandate that was results driven as opposed to action driven.  Restore X miles of river.  Enlarge Z culverts.  Flood Y acres of diked land.

Maybe that will help something, maybe not, but it's the actions that are tracked.  I don't know how often they go back and see if what they did even resulted in one more fish, none of the special interest lobbying seem to care as long as activity is happening. 

On the flip side of that coin, they can't shoot furbags or terns, so the unlucky game fish and waterfowl are in the 10 ring.

When it comes to "native" chinook, they are pretty high up on the cool animal list once we discovered the resident orcas seem to only eat them.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 06:12:53 PM »
How did the netting of bass go in Lake Washington? Have the sockeye recovered yet? Just curious, I haven’t heard anything.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 06:44:40 PM »
Salmon fishing will be dead in this state in 10 more years.

Walleye are a ball to catch on Roosevelt, and they are exceptional table fare.

Gary
Mule deer are hard to hunt, let's just destroy their habitat and raise cows instead? They are easy and taste good.

LMAO... Salmon ain't hard to catch... I'd recon they are dumber than Walleye.  If there weren't any commercial interests in salmon/trout/steelhead, they'd be treated just like any other fish in the system.  Then add in the wild fish nuts and it gets even better...  :o

And, Mulies ain't that hard to hunt either... poor comparison.

Gary
You're right it's a bad comparison. Bison to cows would be a better one since it already happened. When it comes to managing wildlife you should always favor a native species over an introduced species. Walleye are no different than feral cats to me, other than I like to catch and eat walleye.

Online Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 07:47:18 PM »
Any mention on how much by-catch the netters get to keep  :dunno:
The untold story within the story maybe  :bash:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 09:26:39 PM »
Any mention on how much by-catch the netters get to keep  :dunno:
The untold story within the story maybe  :bash:
been at the launch twice now when they came in, didn't see fish of any type in their boat. Guess they could have them hidden but didn't notice any coolers on the boats either.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:35:42 PM by baldopepper »

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 10:25:24 PM »
Interesting topic, I too wonder what the grand plan is with this. Seems asanine they would target spiny rays like that knowing how many are in the reservoir compared to that small amount of Salmon planted. I also think the whole redband thing is way over played. Sure there are native fish in Roosevelt but nothing like the true native redbands from the spokane River that Ive seen.They have solid blood red stripes. I've caught nothing that looks like a real Redband downriver of 9 mile dam. Also, are they expecting these smolt or adults they planted to take hold? If so, explain to me how that will all work? Obviously the smolt could never make it past chief Jo on their journey back from the ocean, defeating any sort of instinctual return.. Are they shooting for some sort of weird landlocked (for lack of a better word) roosevelt nook population? Seems like these boys are fighting a tough battle here

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 10:34:54 PM »
If they really wanted some salmon they just need to figure out how to get them over chief Joe and coulee. Grand coulees only 500 ft. Just slap a whoosh innovation ladder over them both. Problem solved. Hahaha

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 10:36:26 PM »
Interesting topic, I too wonder what the grand plan is with this. Seems asanine they would target spiny rays like that knowing how many are in the reservoir compared to that small amount of Salmon planted. I also think the whole redband thing is way over played. Sure there are native fish in Roosevelt but nothing like the true native redbands from the spokane River that Ive seen.They have solid blood red stripes. I've caught nothing that looks like a real Redband downriver of 9 mile dam. Also, are they expecting these smolt or adults they planted to take hold? If so, explain to me how that will all work? Obviously the smolt could never make it past chief Jo on their journey back from the ocean, defeating any sort of instinctual return.. Are they shooting for some sort of weird landlocked (for lack of a better word) roosevelt nook population? Seems like these boys are fighting a tough battle here

How did they establish the Chinook salmon that now populate the great lakes?  No salt water connection with them is there?

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 10:45:33 PM »

How did they establish the Chinook salmon that now populate the great lakes?  No salt water connection with them is there?
No good point, roosevelt could be the Chinooks surrogate ocean. Just seems silly the scale at which this is happening. Feel like it would need to be a reservoir wide operation that would take 10-15 years to accomplish anything worthwhile. Personally I like roosevelt how it is and don't mind fishing the lower columbia for salmonoids

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 12:21:23 AM »
I'm just not sure the netting operation is accomplishing what they want. I think walleyes are like coyotes, don't seem to be able to get rid of them so just work around them. They plant 750000 triploids a year in roosevelt,, seems to me thay have to plant more than 4000 Chinook to get them established. When I questioned the netters at the launch they were a little evasive but didn't seem overly optimistic about how much good they were doing.  It'd be nice to have big Chinook in the lake, but the walleye fishing is extremely popular  and there are fewer opportunities to fish for them in the state than there are for salmon
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:26:46 AM by baldopepper »

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 07:52:55 AM »
I'm just not sure the netting operation is accomplishing what they want. I think walleyes are like coyotes, don't seem to be able to get rid of them so just work around them. They plant 750000 triploids a year in roosevelt,, seems to me thay have to plant more than 4000 Chinook to get them established. When I questioned the netters at the launch they were a little evasive but didn't seem overly optimistic about how much good they were doing.  It'd be nice to have big Chinook in the lake, but the walleye fishing is extremely popular  and there are fewer opportunities to fish for them in the state than there are for salmon

Exactly, also I've always wondered why the triploids don't grow bigger in roosevelt? Ive never really seen a Rufus woods type 10+ pound football come out of roosevelt. Am I wrong?
(  .  )(  .  )

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 07:35:42 PM »
Imagine if someone with a tranquilizer gun transported a dozen or so seals over there to help out. :peep:
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]