collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt  (Read 10702 times)

Offline borntoslay

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2022, 08:27:30 AM »
Agreed, common theme seems to be the colder weather months . Seems males will darken up and get all beautiful and look like redbands. I've caught many fish out of hog canyon and 4th of July during winter that look just like all these darker fish. Beautiful rainbows irregardless
(  .  )(  .  )

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2022, 08:32:06 AM »
What is the point without fish passage at the dam?
They are trying to do what was done in the great lakes. I.e. establish Roosevelt as home base for the salmon, hence no need to establish some way around the dams.  As mentioned earlier this would probably require a huge hatchery program dedicated to Lake Roosevelt .  Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've also heard talk of trucking them around the dams  and just reestablishing the Roosevelt tributaries as final spawning grounds.

Down stream passage is a problem that would have to be addressed.

I believe downriver passage would be through the turbines correct? But maybe thats still an issue at coulee??
(  .  )(  .  )

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2022, 08:12:32 AM »
I hope they run these same nets on the mid and lower Columbia. Walleye and bass don't belong so get them out. Eat them all.
Such double standards. Probably complained when they closed buoy 10 to protect certain runs of salmon, Or say its perfectly fine to keep a big female walleye because its in the regs, but again complain when tully's are kept because it eats up the quota. Give me a break

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2022, 02:58:13 PM »
What do they do with all the fish they catch?
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
What do they do with all the fish they catch?

:yeah:

Somebody is eating well  :bash: :bash:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »
I'm just not sure the netting operation is accomplishing what they want. I think walleyes are like coyotes, don't seem to be able to get rid of them so just work around them. They plant 750000 triploids a year in roosevelt,, seems to me thay have to plant more than 4000 Chinook to get them established. When I questioned the netters at the launch they were a little evasive but didn't seem overly optimistic about how much good they were doing.  It'd be nice to have big Chinook in the lake, but the walleye fishing is extremely popular  and there are fewer opportunities to fish for them in the state than there are for salmon

Exactly, also I've always wondered why the triploids don't grow bigger in roosevelt? Ive never really seen a Rufus woods type 10+ pound football come out of roosevelt. Am I wrong?

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2022, 09:56:18 AM »
I'm just not sure the netting operation is accomplishing what they want. I think walleyes are like coyotes, don't seem to be able to get rid of them so just work around them. They plant 750000 triploids a year in roosevelt,, seems to me thay have to plant more than 4000 Chinook to get them established. When I questioned the netters at the launch they were a little evasive but didn't seem overly optimistic about how much good they were doing.  It'd be nice to have big Chinook in the lake, but the walleye fishing is extremely popular  and there are fewer opportunities to fish for them in the state than there are for salmon

Exactly, also I've always wondered why the triploids don't grow bigger in roosevelt? Ive never really seen a Rufus woods type 10+ pound football come out of roosevelt. Am I wrong?
I think its the endless supply of pellets that they feed the fish in the pens. I catch trout miles from the pens that are stuffed full of pellets. The walleye are also fat in there. They seem to always be puking up crawdads and i think the craws are also eating the pellets that settle into the rocks making them a high protien meal.

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2022, 01:36:40 PM »
I hope they run these same nets on the mid and lower Columbia. Walleye and bass don't belong so get them out. Eat them all.
Such double standards. Probably complained when they closed buoy 10 to protect certain runs of salmon, Or say its perfectly fine to keep a big female walleye because its in the regs, but again complain when tully's are kept because it eats up the quota. Give me a break
Dang right it's fine to keep big hen walleye but not because it's in the regs. It's fine because they're an invasive species. I purposefully target big hen walleye to eat right before they spawn in order to have the biggest impact on the population. Do whatever you want with walleye in the potholes, but get them out of our rivers.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2022, 02:29:44 PM »
Dang right it's fine to keep big hen walleye but not because it's in the regs. It's fine because they're an invasive species. I purposefully target big hen walleye to eat right before they spawn in order to have the biggest impact on the population. Do whatever you want with walleye in the potholes, but get them out of our rivers.

Again , such double standards. You want only the native species in the river and kill all the invasive....but you/they are killing the native species---squawfish/northern pikie minnow--   Give me a break..it's not about invasive vs. native for you...it's protect MY favorite fish.  AND..They will NEVER get rid of ALL the smallmouth and walleye from the Columbia. I can't wait until someone catches a northern pike in the lower Columbia....it's going to happen regardless of all the netting.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2022, 05:16:18 PM »

Again , such double standards. You want only the native species in the river and kill all the invasive....but you/they are killing the native species---squawfish/northern pikie minnow--   Give me a break..it's not about invasive vs. native for you...it's protect MY favorite fish.  AND..They will NEVER get rid of ALL the smallmouth and walleye from the Columbia. I can't wait until someone catches a northern pike in the lower Columbia....it's going to happen regardless of all the netting.
I don't see the double standard. Native species can still become overpopulated and need management such as whitetails in urban environments, or kangaroos in aus. I love walleye and I'll be sad to see them go, but by nephew likes zebras and if someone brought them and they took over you'd be here trying to save them. :chuckle:

Online Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2022, 05:21:36 PM »

Pike are part of the excuse to use indiscriminate walls of death that should not be allowed anywhere.
Still no evidence that Pike are capable of spawning anywhere in western Washington or the lower Columbia.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2022, 06:01:26 PM »

I don't see the double standard. Native species can still become overpopulated and need management such as whitetails in urban environments, or kangaroos in aus. I love walleye and I'll be sad to see them go, but by nephew likes zebras and if someone brought them and they took over you'd be here trying to save them. :chuckle:

Big fat pregnant hen released back to drop her millions of eggs. About a dozen eating size males taken home. You’ll never get rid of em. But you can try ;P

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2022, 06:29:09 PM »
We make a trill ok or two every winter and spring. Love the fishery as it gets the kids on fish and we get our time.  Redband with my son 9 or so years ago. We used to catch several kokes also from the bank each trip. I’m more concerned about the bigger northern pike getting more established.
fear no fish!!

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 07:25:18 AM »

Pike are part of the excuse to use indiscriminate walls of death that should not be allowed anywhere.
Still no evidence that Pike are capable of spawning anywhere in western Washington or the lower Columbia.

Just looking at the Scappoose Bay/ Sauvie Island area, I can't imagine that Northerns wouldn't thrive.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline NWR

• Pilgrim
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2022, 08:23:28 AM »
Some clarification in todays Spokane paper.

If you haven't watched the video presentation by WDFW on the ongoing 20 year study of population status by year class etc of the Roosevelt walleyes you should look it up. Lots of interesting data. I started fishing for walleyes in Roosevelt when I got out of the Army on 1969. I've seen it all develop.

"WDFW Communications Manager Staci Lehman contacted me this week to clarify the netting that will occur this October and November in Lake Roosevelt. She told me this netting is WDFW’s annual Fall Walleye Index Netting survey (FWIN), not something newly implemented, and has been conducted in Lake Roosevelt for the past 20 years using 150 nets in about 100 feet of water. Immediately following the FWIN survey this year will be the annual northern pike monitoring that is conducted reservoir-wide in late October or early November every year. For that monitoring, 300 nets are set in shallow water with 200 of those nets in the upper reservoir where most of the northern pike are concentrated and the other 100 in the mid- to lower reservoir. Except for a small-scale localized effort by the Colville Tribes near the mouth of the Sanpoil River to address predation on out-migrating salmon and trout, neither the FWIN survey nor the northern pike monitoring survey are considered suppression efforts."

Brad-NWR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand