collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt  (Read 10715 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: Good Bye Walleye 400 Nets to be deployed in Lake Roosevelt
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2022, 09:19:36 AM »
Had a conversation with a retired fish biologist.. He laughed at the F&W "long term" studies.. He said they should re-label them Biologist Retirement Studies...he knew of no benefit coming from any walleye long term study.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2022, 09:30:14 AM »
I hope they run these same nets on the mid and lower Columbia. Walleye and bass don't belong so get them out. Eat them all.
Such double standards. Probably complained when they closed buoy 10 to protect certain runs of salmon, Or say its perfectly fine to keep a big female walleye because its in the regs, but again complain when tully's are kept because it eats up the quota. Give me a break
Dang right it's fine to keep big hen walleye but not because it's in the regs. It's fine because they're an invasive species. I purposefully target big hen walleye to eat right before they spawn in order to have the biggest impact on the population. Do whatever you want with walleye in the potholes, but get them out of our rivers.

Again , such double standards. You want only the native species in the river and kill all the invasive....but you/they are killing the native species---squawfish/northern pikie minnow--   Give me a break..it's not about invasive vs. native for you...it's protect MY favorite fish.  AND..They will NEVER get rid of ALL the smallmouth and walleye from the Columbia. I can't wait until someone catches a northern pike in the lower Columbia....it's going to happen regardless of all the netting.
I don't see the double standard. Native species can still become overpopulated and need management such as whitetails in urban environments, or kangaroos in aus. I love walleye and I'll be sad to see them go, but by nephew likes zebras and if someone brought them and they took over you'd be here trying to save them. :chuckle:

Big fat pregnant hen released back to drop her millions of eggs. About a dozen eating size males taken home. You’ll never get rid of em. But you can try ;P
That first doesn't look pregnant in the slightest, it looks spawned out. They will have big distended bellies when they're ready to spawn. That fish might even be an older male. Sometimes I catch males in the 5-8lb range.

Online mcrawfordaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2022, 09:36:07 AM »
I hope they run these same nets on the mid and lower Columbia. Walleye and bass don't belong so get them out. Eat them all.
Such double standards. Probably complained when they closed buoy 10 to protect certain runs of salmon, Or say its perfectly fine to keep a big female walleye because its in the regs, but again complain when tully's are kept because it eats up the quota. Give me a break
Dang right it's fine to keep big hen walleye but not because it's in the regs. It's fine because they're an invasive species. I purposefully target big hen walleye to eat right before they spawn in order to have the biggest impact on the population. Do whatever you want with walleye in the potholes, but get them out of our rivers.

Again , such double standards. You want only the native species in the river and kill all the invasive....but you/they are killing the native species---squawfish/northern pikie minnow--   Give me a break..it's not about invasive vs. native for you...it's protect MY favorite fish.  AND..They will NEVER get rid of ALL the smallmouth and walleye from the Columbia. I can't wait until someone catches a northern pike in the lower Columbia....it's going to happen regardless of all the netting.
I don't see the double standard. Native species can still become overpopulated and need management such as whitetails in urban environments, or kangaroos in aus. I love walleye and I'll be sad to see them go, but by nephew likes zebras and if someone brought them and they took over you'd be here trying to save them. :chuckle:

Big fat pregnant hen released back to drop her millions of eggs. About a dozen eating size males taken home. You’ll never get rid of em. But you can try ;P
That first doesn't look pregnant in the slightest, it looks spawned out. They will have big distended bellies when they're ready to spawn. That fish might even be an older male. Sometimes I catch males in the 5-8lb range.

sure :tup:

Offline NWR

• Pilgrim
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »
Well not sure what it (study) might do except provide interesting info for those that find that sort of thing interesting .. apparently you are not in that group. :-)
Brad-NWR

Online Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2022, 10:41:12 AM »
Well not sure what it (study) might do except provide interesting info for those that find that sort of thing interesting .. apparently you are not in that group. :-)

What it will do is kill large numbers of adult fish of all species.  :bdid:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline NWR

• Pilgrim
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2022, 11:15:00 AM »
Well like they said...been doing it for 20 years and still a lot of fish to catch in there so maybe there will still be a few left to catch in December? 
Brad-NWR

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2022, 11:36:06 AM »
The limit is still 16 Walleye with no size limit, so they must still be doing well.  I know we do pretty good on days we target Walleye.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »
Salmon fishing will be dead in this state in 10 more years.

Walleye are a ball to catch on Roosevelt, and they are exceptional table fare.

Gary
Mule deer are hard to hunt, let's just destroy their habitat and raise cows instead? They are easy and taste good.

Landlocked, previously extirpated, Chinook isn't a worthwhile comparison to existing mule deer.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Broomd

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2022, 03:35:02 PM »
F'ing lunatics.  How you guys abide that state, some of us will never know.

A pox on WA elites, f em all.

Online Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2022, 05:26:16 PM »
Well like they said...been doing it for 20 years and still a lot of fish to catch in there so maybe there will still be a few left to catch in December?

What is the “interesting info” that we are going to learn after 20 years?  :dunno:
Obviously they have not been netting at this level.  I am always surprised when people defend gill nets, what is in it for you?
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw