collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality 204 any buck tag  (Read 9454 times)

Offline hunt4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Quality 204 any buck tag
« on: September 27, 2022, 08:20:11 PM »
Ok so it's taken me a long time to draw any tags.  I have hunted gmu 204 for Archery.  100 % of the time for whitetail for many years.  I would like to find where the Muleys hang out in November.  I know there must be some decent muley bucks in this unit but I have never looked for them. My thoughts so far is looking SW in the unit.  Does anyone have a thought on a migration pattern or spot where the mule deer end up in the middle of November? I am not looking for people to post there spots but if you could pm some good pointers? 

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Quality 204 any buck tag
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 09:18:09 PM »
Here is what I did for my quality rifle hunt in November of 2016 for a different unit. Took a buddy, with an over the counter tag and drove around during modern rifle, and looked for the biggest group of Mule Deer Does I could find. Marked the area and went back several weeks later and started from there. I now have a nice four point Mule Deer Buck hanging on my wall. I would say go towards GMU 101 and drive roads until you find Does, next to Blacktail, Mule Deer Bucks are pretty stupid during the rut. Just my two  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline hunt4

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 08:33:58 PM »
 Took a buddy, with an over the counter tag and drove around during modern rifle,
[/quote]
Your assuming I have friends :chuckle:
There must be someone out there with some insight on the mule deer in this unit.
I did a couple days over there this past weekend. Not really looking for deer but just looking over country.  Did a tour through Scatter creek and the south side of Tunk mountain.  Good looking country.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 09:10:39 PM »
What rb said. I think the problem with what you are asking is that the deer in the late tag time are the same deer in general. Most guys aren’t going to give info on general areas, especially on an open forum. Best bet is to get out in general and start scouting. You have 20 days to find them. Good luck.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »
Took a buddy, with an over the counter tag and drove around during modern rifle,
Your assuming I have friends :chuckle:
There must be someone out there with some insight on the mule deer in this unit.
I did a couple days over there this past weekend. Not really looking for deer but just looking over country.  Did a tour through Scatter creek and the south side of Tunk mountain.  Good looking country.
[/quote]

That is a start just find the girls, the boys will show up when the time is right! After hitting the Buck I shot (180 grain Nosler Partition in 300 WinMag) he looked at the Does first before taking off and finally dropping dead. Another buddy of mine had the Whitetail only tag for 204 several years ago and just about ran over the biggest Mule Deer Buck of his life driving to a different area to look for Whitetail. Cover ground in your rig, glass, find a locked gate and get in a mile or so. Literally this is the best advice anyone can get, there are Mule Deer Bucks to be found anywhere in the unit. Tons of roads around that unit as well, you will have to burn some fuel and boot leather. Best of luck I have been putting in for that tag for about 20 years.
IAFF #3728

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 09:47:33 PM »
When I was younger, we hunted the unit every year. As RB said about the Scatter Creek Road, we stopped at the cattle guard and hiked to the top, just don't get turned around and try to bail off the cliffs. In the past we took 3 or 4 decent bucks off that hill. My dad has taken 2 off of Swan Butte, before it was logged.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline hunt4

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 09:52:39 PM »
I don't think I ever asked where people hunt general season.  I have hunted late Archery for ever.  Take swakane for example.  The majority of the the deer in that unit moved in there in November.   I can tell you where to find mule deer in unit 101 in November and lucky to see one in October.  I am just trying get someone to respond thats actually had this tag or local where they think the majority of these deer end up if we get weather.  It won't be that hard to figure out just time and gas ;)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 10:54:13 PM »
You have to also remember that you're competing with tribal hunters who can hunt there until Dec 31. The 204 quality tag is not an easy tag. :twocents:

Offline D

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 07:09:12 PM »
I'll be traveling to this unit for the first time October 19th-23rd. Deer population in my local units is toast so I'm branching out. I don't have time to gather permission from private property owners, which I'm sure is where most of the deer harvested come from. Based on my OnX and GoHunt internet scouting data, there's an above average amount of public land which is bound to have a stud or two lurking in the sanctuaries.  :rockin:

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 08:59:06 PM »
I don't think I ever asked where people hunt general season.  I have hunted late Archery for ever.  Take swakane for example.  The majority of the the deer in that unit moved in there in November.   I can tell you where to find mule deer in unit 101 in November and lucky to see one in October.  I am just trying get someone to respond thats actually had this tag or local where they think the majority of these deer end up if we get weather.  It won't be that hard to figure out just time and gas ;)
sounds like you answered your question for yourself.  Go spend time and gas, you got out all figured out! :dunno:

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 08:05:30 PM »
I taught up in Curlew for several years and explored 204 a ton. I know In the rut the deer come out of the woods work there. Almost any given evening driving my loop (about 40 miles) I’d see several shooters. To me a shooter was over 150”. I took a very nice 189” 11x13 there in 07. The bucks are there, I’m just not sure where in October lol. Side note, TONS of bears too. Find a chokecherry bush that’s being worked over. If it still has berries the bear will be back just before dark.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 08:23:12 PM »
I taught up in Curlew for several years and explored 204 a ton. I know In the rut the deer come out of the woods work there. Almost any given evening driving my loop (about 40 miles) I’d see several shooters. To me a shooter was over 150”. I took a very nice 189” 11x13 there in 07. The bucks are there, I’m just not sure where in October lol. Side note, TONS of bears too. Find a chokecherry bush that’s being worked over. If it still has berries the bear will be back just before dark.

Was that 189 on the late tag? Sounds like a great buck!

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 06:56:47 AM »
You have a picture of that bruiser we could see?

Offline kramman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 10:35:04 PM »
I was in this unit for muzzy this yr. Saw a stud of a 2pt that needs to be taken out of the breeding pool if your interested.  He was a mature mule deer that will always be a 2. He was unfortunately running with a 3x2 that my cousins son shot. The 2pt made the 3pt  look like a small dog comparatively.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 04:29:13 AM »
I was in this unit for muzzy this yr. Saw a stud of a 2pt that needs to be taken out of the breeding pool if your interested.  He was a mature mule deer that will always be a 2. He was unfortunately running with a 3x2 that my cousins son shot. The 2pt made the 3pt  look like a small dog comparatively.
Why does the 2 pt need to be taken out of the breeding pool?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal