collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: So you want to visit Kodiak AK do you.....  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: So you want to visit Kodiak AK do you.....
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 04:51:46 PM »
My buddy had to shoot one at his house up there, also out in Bells flats years ago. Was getting into hi chicken coop, he told F&W officers they better do something about it or he would. He ended up shooting it one night, they came out and said it was justified and told him he needs to skin it and bring the hide and skull in or he’ll get a ticket, he argued with them and said you want it, you skin it. They told him he better have it to their office by a certain time or else. He called another friend that came over with a backhoe, loaded the whole bear into the back of his F350, think he said the bear weighed 1300lbs drove it to the F&W office, backed up to the front door and put a line around the Bullard’s so cars can’t drive into the office and drove off leaving the bear up front. Never heard a word from them after that.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 05:56:39 PM »
My buddy had to shoot one at his house up there, also out in Bells flats years ago. Was getting into hi chicken coop, he told F&W officers they better do something about it or he would. He ended up shooting it one night, they came out and said it was justified and told him he needs to skin it and bring the hide and skull in or he’ll get a ticket, he argued with them and said you want it, you skin it. They told him he better have it to their office by a certain time or else. He called another friend that came over with a backhoe, loaded the whole bear into the back of his F350, think he said the bear weighed 1300lbs drove it to the F&W office, backed up to the front door and put a line around the Bullard’s so cars can’t drive into the office and drove off leaving the bear up front. Never heard a word from them after that.
That's fantastic! Hahaha
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline getreal711

• 1ST Sergeant
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 07:01:45 PM »
Hey Karl what did they shoot it with? And did they get a weight on it?
29 yrs Army as an instructor with weapons and transportation. Now play time at my own expense.

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 07:10:09 PM »
I lived there for almost 30 yrs, it’s one animal I wish I would of hunted. Still have a brother there that I could go hunt with and not have to pay a guide fee.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 07:32:22 PM »
On my property on the kenai, I have to pack going to the outhouse! I’ve had them investigating my window at a logging camp bunk room on Afognak. I’ve stumbled on the dang things. I’ve watched younger boars follow my back trail like a walker hound. Yeah, they are a gnarly animal and kinda give me the heebie jeebies. I’ve even seen tracks in the middle of January. They were huge and on fresh snow.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 07:39:17 PM »
Not the critter you want in your house.  They could do some serious damage to you and your home.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 08:36:51 PM »
If that's the same Pete Olsen, I played city league basketball with him for 3 or 4 years when I lived there. 

Wow! That will wake you up.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 08:39:28 PM »
Yowzers!  :yike:

He get to keep the meat/hide?
good question . He get to clean up the mess

Alaska requires all defense of life and property kills to be skinned and the hide and skull turned over to the State. Unless it was open season and he had a tag.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 08:49:10 PM »
On my property on the kenai, I have to pack going to the outhouse! I’ve had them investigating my window at a logging camp bunk room on Afognak. I’ve stumbled on the dang things. I’ve watched younger boars follow my back trail like a walker hound. Yeah, they are a gnarly animal and kinda give me the heebie jeebies. I’ve even seen tracks in the middle of January. They were huge and on fresh snow.

:yeah:

Hunted Sitka one year in December and thought it would be nice to not have to worry about those dang things and was told the same thing you just posted. All the residents told me "Not all the Bears den up" all of them had seen tracks on fresh snow December/January time frame!  :yike:
IAFF #3728

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »
He called another friend that came over with a backhoe, loaded the whole bear into the back of his F350, think he said the bear weighed 1300lbs drove it to the F&W office, backed up to the front door and put a line around the Bullard’s so cars can’t drive into the office and drove off leaving the bear up front. Never heard a word from them after that.

Those Bullards were put in after an incident in the early 80s.  Fish and game had shut down shrimping season way early and the shrimp fishermen didn't think it was justified. Someone stole a cannery flatbed and drove it through the front doors of the Fish and Game office and left it there. Was always thought to have been a disgruntled shrimp fisherman but no one was ever charged that I know of. This was not a small time pot fishery for shrimp, this was a large trawl fishery for pink or cocktail shrimp. The catch each year was in the 20 million lb range. We had boats at the cannery I worked at when I first got to Kodiak that caught a million lbs or more in a season. The larger boats would come in with 150,000 to 200,000 lbs in a load.  So a lot of money was involved when they shut it down.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 09:24:21 PM »
Hey Karl what did they shoot it with? And did they get a weight on it?
I don't know that much info. My uncle who is a long time resident of kodiak sent that to me.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2022, 09:27:34 PM »
This is an awesome thread.

"Better skin it by tomorrow, or else."

"Here, hold my beer."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2022, 09:36:24 PM »
I lived there for almost 30 yrs, it’s one animal I wish I would of hunted. Still have a brother there that I could go hunt with and not have to pay a guide fee.
lucky you

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2022, 10:02:27 PM »
He called another friend that came over with a backhoe, loaded the whole bear into the back of his F350, think he said the bear weighed 1300lbs drove it to the F&W office, backed up to the front door and put a line around the Bullard’s so cars can’t drive into the office and drove off leaving the bear up front. Never heard a word from them after that.

I got into that fishery the last year they had it. The year before that the boat I was on had a 70,000+ crew share for just a few months fishing. The 80’s in Kodiak was a great place to be, I moved out of Kodiak in 92 after being on that shrimp boat and it sank out in the Bering Sea fishing crab. And I’m still out here right now killing cod.

Those Bullards were put in after an incident in the early 80s.  Fish and game had shut down shrimping season way early and the shrimp fishermen didn't think it was justified. Someone stole a cannery flatbed and drove it through the front doors of the Fish and Game office and left it there. Was always thought to have been a disgruntled shrimp fisherman but no one was ever charged that I know of. This was not a small time pot fishery for shrimp, this was a large trawl fishery for pink or cocktail shrimp. The catch each year was in the 20 million lb range. We had boats at the cannery I worked at when I first got to Kodiak that caught a million lbs or more in a season. The larger boats would come in with 150,000 to 200,000 lbs in a load.  So a lot of money was involved when they shut it down.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:11:25 PM by Scvette »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2022, 05:59:25 AM »
That's good old Petey
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]