collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nosler brass quality  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Gun smoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
Nosler brass quality
« on: October 01, 2022, 05:30:15 PM »
Hey guys , curious what opinions you have on nosler brass quality ? I kind of have a thing with the 7 mm rm (have three ) that I reload for . The newest one I purchased 100 nosler brass and worked up a killer load but seems after 2 firings the belted area BELOW the case wall that gets resized is expanding ? Have not had this issue with any other brand  brass , win , rem . I’m

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Nosler brass quality
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 09:43:21 PM »
Hey guys , curious what opinions you have on nosler brass quality ? I kind of have a thing with the 7 mm rm (have three ) that I reload for . The newest one I purchased 100 nosler brass and worked up a killer load but seems after 2 firings the belted area BELOW the case wall that gets resized is expanding ? Have not had this issue with any other brand  brass , win , rem . I’m

I’ve seen this before in 300wm with too much headspace.  Is this just one of the rifles?

Nosler brass isn’t terrible imo
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
I'd look at maybe backing your load off a bit and see if that helps cure the problem.

Offline Gun smoke

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 06:24:12 PM »
Looks like my og post got cut off ¿¿ anyway all I added was that I was using Redding comp fl resizing dies , set properly per instructions on die set . Jasnt could you please explain in layman terms how too much headspace would effect the belted area of case?
Yes just the one rifle , full build by a very respectful NW builder using their recommendations on load components  , they were not specific on brass ( suppose I could just ask them )  figured it was my resizing or brass . Thx again guys

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 08:24:43 PM »
Looks like my og post got cut off ¿¿ anyway all I added was that I was using Redding comp fl resizing dies , set properly per instructions on die set . Jasnt could you please explain in layman terms how too much headspace would effect the belted area of case?
Yes just the one rifle , full build by a very respectful NW builder using their recommendations on load components  , they were not specific on brass ( suppose I could just ask them )  figured it was my resizing or brass . Thx again guys
it may not be the chambers headspace but the amount the brass has to fire form.
Often belted cases are a bit short as the head space off the belt.  This allows the brass room to stretch to meet specs of many rifles.  I have had a long headspace 300wm do this and it swelled just ahead of the belt making it very difficult to chamber after resized.  .010” was enough to not let it chamber as the dies wouldn’t resize that portion of the case.
For what is worth it was with nosler brass.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline DaveR

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 02:40:40 PM »
I have bought it 4 times. Used it in 7 mag, 300wm and 338 wm. I have a new unopened box of 308. It's ok. I bought it b4 prices went through the roof. I absolutely don’t know why they are so proud of it. It's more expensive than lapua quite often. IMO it’s not in that class. Or in the same class as Peter sons, or Norma. Maybe I’m messed up. This is the short version🤪. It’s not as consistent. I will never spend the money they ask for it now. MOF. As much as I like their bullits. I feel the same about them price wise. I am stocked up tho. And that’s a whole other subject :)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »

You mention you're using Redding Comp FL resizing dies, do you mean you're using the Redding Competition Bushing 3 die set like this https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=RE&i=58136

If you are using that particular set of Redding dies the only die in that set that will do any sizing is the body die.  The Comp bushing die in that set has a sliding sleeve that guides the case up to the bushing but it doesn't size down any part of the body of the case, it's just a fancy bushing neck size only die.  The body die in that set is what sizes the case and pushes the shoulder back if you so choose.

To my knowledge, Redding does not make a Competition FL sizing die.

If you are using that particular set of dies and all you are using is the Comp bushing die that could be your problem because you're not sizing any part of the case with that die and all it's doing is shrinking the neck back down.

If that's not really what you meant, no worries. 

Redding has so many different types of sizing dies, standard FL die, FL bushing die, neck size only die, bushing neck size only die, Competition bushing neck size die, body sizing die, that it can become a little confusing if you maybe aren't well versed on all their different dies and what functions they perform.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 04:24:18 PM »
Cant speak of the present but I know when I used Nosler brass for 7mm rem mag, it was Norma Mfg.,  head stamped for Nosler.  It had some guarantee about weight tolerance and I remember uniforming my brass and noticing the trim to length was all over the place and determined that was how they got their weight within tolerance. I didnt think their brass was anywhere near the quality for price value point.

Offline jamesjett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 06:12:44 PM »

I have been reloading for 30 years now and I have found Nosler to be excellent.  In fact that is all I use in my bolts.  I have never had this issue with my 7MM and I load 4831 pretty hot.  I run Nosler in several other calibers and I have actually mic’d all 50 pieces in every box and they are all spot on. 

I wonder if something has changed with their quality or supplier?  I heard Norma manufacturers Nosler brass but this was about five years ago.  I have had very good luck with Nosler brass. 

Offline slm9s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 07:54:42 PM »
Like others I have had nothing but good experience with Nosler brass (my understanding also is that it is actually made by Norma).

However, there have been many threads like this, that the brass is done after 3 or so firings so maybe I'm just lucky?

Offline Gun smoke

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 10:08:27 PM »
Ok , I did miss the Redding dies by a mile , they are the master hunter two die set . I tried to attach a few photos of what’s happening. The belt is physically getting larger in diameter after 2 nd firing and resizing . 1 st and second load , chamber and fire flawlessly. Third time will chamber and shoot the same as first two ( no change in accuracy) just physically won’t fit into the mag well . They have to be loaded one at a time strait into chamber .

Offline Gun smoke

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 10:14:35 PM »
Dang it , same pic twice . Here is a pic of Remington case ran through same die . And a pic of nosler case not fitting .

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
I think it's been about ten years ago Nosler bought out, I think it was Silver State Ammo but don't quote me on that as I'm not certain, so Nosler has had their own brass manufacturing line for a number of years now.  The million dollar question seems to be which cartridges they make their own brass versus which cartridges someone else makes the brass for them because I've had Nosler tell me they make some of the brass they sell themselves and some cartridges they sub out for but then I talked to them at a different time and they tell me they make all of it.  It's been a few years since I talked to any of their techs so it's very possible they're now making all the brass they sell with a Nosler stamp in house on their very own brass making line.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 10:42:08 PM »
Something else to consider.  If you're running the same load in all your different head stamped brass it's not very likely it all has the same internal volume case capacity.  I recall hearing some of the newer Nosler brass was weighing heavier than the previous brass was for the same cartridge.  Generally, heavier brass equals less case capacity and using the same load in brass with less case capacity equals higher pressure.

Your load may not be hot in one piece or brand of brass but that same load in another manufactures brass with slightly less case capacity can go from ok to on the hot side.  Something is swelling your brass around the belt area and I can't think of anything that would do that but pressure so as I mentioned in a previous post, I'd back the load off in the brass that's swelling the belt area.

Offline Gun smoke

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »
Little update , talked to gun builder . He’s seen it before with nosler and Norma brass , tight primer pockets but expanding in the belt area . Mentioned it’s softer and recommended Remington  or ADG brass. I have a fresh bag of Remington brass so I’m Gona do a shoot reload shoot 4-5 times to see if it’s provable. I don’t think it’s a brass “quality “ issue it’s just softer . I’m aware that the load is probably pushing a belted case pretty hard , but if I can change brass brands and get a few more reloads vs changing load I’m going to give it a try . Thanks for the replies

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal