collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Basic Grouse advice for Okanogan County  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Rockey_Talus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Basic Grouse advice for Okanogan County
« on: October 05, 2022, 10:43:12 PM »
  Hey folks, I'll try to keep it short but here is my situation. I've recently moved to the area around Oroville. I've been spending my precious pre-season scouting time looking for work and a permanent living situation. I have managed to get up a few forest service roads and some BLM land near Oroville. Thing is I have only seen one grouse and it was on a road I clearly could not make a legal shot on (I was also going about 50 on my TW200 lol). Most the habitat I went through wasn't quite right for grouse but it did hold quail, white tail, and mule deer.

So to get to the point I'm just asking in a general sense, if a fella was to drive around the roads around lets say Okanogan National Forest/ in the hills around Tonasket etc... (which I plan to do as soon as I get back to the East side) would he find some birds on the closed logging roads? and if so any advice? I like to get out of the truck and walk old roads not really into road hunting but of course I would take bird to get a meal... I won't be back in the area for another few days so I was just curious if somebody could provide at least a gentle nudge towards some birds before I have a chance to go look myself I would really appreciate it.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Basic Grouse advice for Okanogan County
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 05:58:47 AM »
Yea closed logging roads and don't be afraid to get off the road. Alot of times These old logging roads have been travel well by others you get away from the road and will see more birds and not so flighty.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 06:08:21 AM »
Find old logging roads and two tracks, especially if they have gravel on them. Walk those mid morning and you will find some grouse
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Rockey_Talus

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 09:24:29 PM »
Thank you folks! I really appreciate having a little confirmation. It will be fun just getting out and looking finally. Can't wait to get out, Nothing beats a morning walk down some old road with your shotgun. Also just wanna say, everybody I have met in Okanogan county so far has been super helpful and kind, it's a big change from the west side and I appreciate it, have a good one guys! Good luck out there.

Offline Red Ryder

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 10:28:33 AM »
I ride a TW 200 and an ATV in the Okanogan area as well. I often encounter grouse while exploring lesser roads. My technique is to stop when I see them and try to back up a little. This makes them a little less wary and they tend to be more curious. That helps to keep them from sneaking off while I take off my helmet and get my rifle out of the scabbard and load it. It gives me more time to get lined up on one. If I just pull up and stop, it makes them more wary and they start moving. Make sure you are off the road when you shoot.

I also hunt in the Colockum pass area during elk season. The grouse over there are super flighty. I can't get within 50 yards of one on foot without it taking off and I haven't even seen it. I just hear it.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 10:36:16 AM »
A good grouse plinker pistol and you don't need to remove the helmet or take time to load, a chest rig like Kenai is super nice for riding

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »
Copy and paste this search into Google and you'll be able to read plenty of threads on the forum that may help you get into them. Walking near creek bottoms seems to be a popular suggestion. If they flush, they usually don't go too far.

Agree on the plinker pistol. I have one that fits in my backpack hip belt pouch so I carry it everywhere now.

site:hunting-washington.com "grouse"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »
best grouse advice I can give you is dont shoot the stuffed one that the game warden placed in the middle of the road.   

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 12:30:25 PM »
Cool thing about that area is you can take all three species, ruffed, blue, & spruce depending on your elevation. I don’t have anything for you about road hunting them as I always saw them off the roads.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Online mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 03:23:02 PM »
Copy and paste this search into Google and you'll be able to read plenty of threads on the forum that may help you get into them. Walking near creek bottoms seems to be a popular suggestion. If they flush, they usually don't go too far.

Agree on the plinker pistol. I have one that fits in my backpack hip belt pouch so I carry it everywhere now.

site:hunting-washington.com "grouse"

:yeah:
Creek bottoms with young aspen is the key to prime grouse habitat in almost any part of the state.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 08:44:02 PM »
The hunting will only get better after some moisture. Hunted the NF west of Oroville for a few years lots of birds around in a normal year and lots of roads to walk. As mentioned all three species around and all are delicious! It's a great area, with some fantastic people, but you'll always be a "coastie"! Lol!

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 08:52:01 PM »
best grouse advice I can give you is dont shoot the stuffed one that the game warden placed in the middle of the road.

:yeah:

Sage advice right there hahahaha  :chuckle:
IAFF #3728

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 09:38:52 PM »
Find water, and evergreens together you’ll  have blues.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101