collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stanwood PLHO Land  (Read 1602 times)

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Stanwood PLHO Land
« on: October 06, 2022, 10:07:00 AM »
Anyone know the story on all the PLHO land around Stanwood that went away this year? I thought my OnX was just being glitchy but it looks like it's really all gone on the PLHO website. Seems odd that it all went away at the same time, just curious as to whether anyone knows the story.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Stanwood PLHO Land
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 10:12:30 AM »
I don't know what properties will come back, but it's very normal to have them not appear right away.  Many of them need to wait until the crops are harvested before they will open.  It's not abnormal for them to not be up for a couple weeks after the season opens.  I don't think they have any reservation properties up yet.

The trend is to lose a few of the better ones every year to the private clubs that outspend the state or a landowner that decides to hunt it themselves or their family & friends.  The state is reluctant to make any improvements in the program despite constant feedback from hunters, so the trend is likely to continue.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 10:46:13 AM »
Ahh, the delay until after crop harvest would make sense I guess. Though it seems they could just list the available dates after that. Wouldn't be surprised if all the landowners pulled the access all together though.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 10:49:37 AM »
I know they don't list it on the website until the sign is up and it's ready to hunt.

They won't lose all of them, a couple properties there probably haven't had a dead duck fall on them for a decade. :chuckle:

The biologist usually does a presentation at a Washington Waterfowl meeting and he will have the list of what they have for the year.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »
As stated they won't be listed until the crops are removed and re-planted with the cover crop typically.  Since it was a late planting, it is also a late harvest.  They are just cutting corn in many fields and probably will get tilled next week.  Also many of those spots don't really hunt until end of Oct., first of November.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline WWA

• Serving Washington’s waterfowl and waterfowl hunters since 1945
  • Tracker
  • Hunters for Conservation
    • https://www.facebook.com/WAWATERFOWL
    • Washington Waterfowl Association
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Assocation
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 01:01:54 PM »
 Our October 12th chapter meeting will include guest speakers Rob Wingard, WDFW Private Lands Biologist for Region 4 and Greg Meis WDFW Skagit Wildlife
Area Manager. Rob will review the region’s four
(4) different types of access agreements to landowners —

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,273726.0.html
Our Mission

Preserve, protect, and promote waterfowl, waterfowl habitat, and waterfowl hunting; particularly in the state of Washington

To that end, we teach folks about waterfowl, waterfowl conservation, sportsmanship, shooting, hunter safety, and waterfowling. We also study, advise, recommend, and secure enactment of legislation in the interest of waterfowl, their habitat, and waterfowl hunting.

Offline Man Tracker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »
I spoke with one of the landowners today. As of now, several will not be in the DFW program this year. Come to the WWA meeting on Wednesday and ask Rob Wingard why...politics may have something to do with it.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »
I spoke with one of the landowners today. As of now, several will not be in the DFW program this year. Come to the WWA meeting on Wednesday and ask Rob Wingard why...politics may have something to do with it.

I personally think this is a don't miss presentation if you waterfowl hunt Stanwood North. Rob does not wilt under pressure of hard questions like many employees do.  He shoots it straight and if you specific questions about individual pieces he will fill you in.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 10:43:51 AM »
Rob's a good guy and his hands are tied in some areas like getting the reservation system fixed after 4, 5, however many years of promising it was "next year."  State IT refuses to allow contractors to fix it and they take a decade to do anything themselves.

In other areas, they could do more but have chosen not too.  Location of blinds and where you can hunt in the properties is one area.  Enforcing the rules on FFTH hours is another.

Personally, I would like to see big changes so WDFW can compete financially with the pay to play private clubs that take the better properties year after year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]