collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 09 Season Happenings  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Intruder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
09 Season Happenings
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
So far this has been a pretty tough couple weeks for me.  The first 4 days out really didn't amount to much other than some pretty sight seeing.  Heard a few birds but never really had "a close encounter".

I ended up notching my first tag last Friday on my 5th day of hunting.  8 1/2" beard 5/8" spurs... typical horny 2 year old but he gave me the whole show before I lowered the hammer on him at about 25-30 feet.  Birds finally seem to be a little more responsive so that's good. 

Took a friend out on Sun to try and help him get his first bird.  What a day.  Starts out by running into a trespassing on the private property I have permission to hunt.  Totally screws up that spot up for us.  >:(

So, we head to a piece of public ground close by.  Right away we get on a gobbler.  We're working him in when off in the distance we hear the familiar sound of 4 wheelers.  I'm just hoping they're going somewhere else.  They're not.  One literally drives right to within 20 yards of our setup, he has no clue we're there, nor does he know he just spooked a gobbler.  They guy's wearing blue jeans, a yellow cap, no face mask and a camo coat.  He gets off the 4 wheeler when I stand up.  I'm trying to motion to him to get the hell out of there and he starts talking to me.  Then he gets the idea and turns around and walks back down the road he just drove up.  I'm thinkin WTF is this clown up to?

To those of you who own 4 wheelers and use them responsibly please do not take offense.  To all out there who don't fit into that category.... get off your fat ass and walk a little.  Your constant driving around with a gun on the handle bars is NOT hunting and you're screwing things up royally for those of us who do hunt.

Later in the day we locate another gobbler.  We get setup in his strut zone and he comes in from way away... like 400 yards.  Get him to within 15 yards and my buddy can't get a shot.  I was set up covering his flank not really expecting to get a shot from the direction he was covering so when he doesn't get on open shot I can't either.  I can see the bird struttin and carrying on.  The bird eventually gets wise to all the callin he was hearing earlier and not seeing anything and he just slinks off.         

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
Re: 09 Season Happenings
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
2 down 1 to go.

I went down to Oregon to hunt with my niece.  We ended each ended up getting a bird last Friday.  She got a bird her first first time out.  Although it was a Jake and I don't normally subscribe to that, we discussed it and she really wanted to get her first more than hold out for a mature gobbler.  It was actually a neat hunt.  The bird came in from a couple hundred yards out and hung up at about 65 yards just below us.  I had a feeling it was a Jake by how it was acting and it's less than booming gobble.  Anyway after playing subtle with it for 15 minutes I got really aggressive.  He (and a partner) came sneakin in.  Came up like 15 yards right in front of her.  She played it perfectly and let him walk right into the sight frame and blasted him at 20 yards. 

I ended up killing a 3 year old w/ 1 1/8" spurs and a 9 1/2" beard about an 30 min later not 75 yards away.  This crazy sob came from over 300 yards away.  We could barely hear him gobble.  I got to watch him pop out of the woods about 125 yards away and proceed to run 10-15' at a time, stop, strut, and gobble then repeat the process until is was 20 yards away right in front of me.  Damnedest thing I've ever seen.   

Offline strutnrut1984

• Longhunter
  • its not what u get its how many times u get to go
  • Groups: Nwtf
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »
sounds like great times. i cant wait to get back out on monday for merriams after getting my eastern

Offline sparksbr

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »
WELL SAID INTRUDER!!

Congrats on the birds!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation...It's just one of those things we all have to deal with while on public land. Not the first hunt that's been ruined by a slob on a four-wheeler (excluding disabled hunters) and won't be the last  >:( 

They have their hunting methods, I have mine...To each his own.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:02:05 PM by sparksbr »

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Here's an edited photo of my niece's Jake and my gobbler from last week.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
Intruder....where at in Oregon?
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
Intruder....where at in Oregon?

Extreme NE corner.... bout 35 N of Joseph.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »
South of Troy?
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
South of Bogans.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Headed back to Oregan this past weekend to try and get my niece a longbeard and get my roommate from college a bird. 

Saturday... my buddy ended up getting a 8 1/2" bearded 3/4" spurred Tom after almost having the hunt ruined by a bull (bovine not elk).  This crazy bull had been running all over reeking havoc all morning.  We have a bird working in on us and the bull runs him off way out into this field.  I ended up calling him back... couldn't believe it.

Sunday... my buddy and I are calling for my niece.  We call in a whole flock, 5 Toms (no Jakes) and 2 hens.  Unfortunately, them being turkeys and not following the script, they come into the worst spot.  She had to swing her gun way to the right and shoot the Tom sneaking away after the hens busted us.  It was a 20+ # monster with a 10" paint brush beard and 3/4" spurs. 

Monday.... my niece's husband called a friend in Anatone to see if there were birds on his land.  I still had my 2nd WA tag.  He said he didn't but his mom did.  I stopped by there on my way home and ended up killing a bird with some of the biggest spurs I've gotten. It had a wispy 9 3/4" beard but it's longest spur was 1 1/4" long. 

What a year, what started slow turned into the best year ever:
2 WA birds and 1 OR bird for me
1 WA bird for a youth hunter I took out
2 OR birds for my niece
1 OR bird for my buddy

I need to knock on some wood.... I see a big ol' skunk season for me next year :chuckle:

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
Congrats, looks to me like you've had a great year so far!
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »
One more story for the 09 season. 

Took a buddy out the other day and we finally got him a bird.  He's perhaps the luckiest or unluckiest guy when it comes to turkey hunting.  I've taken him out 4 times and have called birds into shotgun range all 4 times for him.  This last time if finally came together though.  He was setup and I was calling for him... there were 2 birds out about 150 yards workin in.  All the sudden there's a thunderin gobble from behind us.  I lay down and have him spin around just in time.  The bird comes in on a string just a gobblin and struttin.  He gets the whole show and then finally gets to whack em at about 30 yards.  2 year old... 3/4" spurs, 8" beard.  He was pumped.

Had a really cool and potentially very dangerous situation about an hour before he killed that turkey.  We ran across a mama moose with her newborn calf.  Cutest little bugger.  Luckily she was in plain view kinda in the open when we came upon them.  We never got closer than about 75 yards.  Once we saw the lil' guy we just backed out slow and easy and gave em a really wide berth. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]