collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Predator Hunting  (Read 5316 times)

Offline LongBomb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Predator Hunting
« on: October 23, 2022, 10:07:42 PM »
Hey y'all im looking for some good predator hunting areas. Coyotes, bobcats, and cougar. I know all honey holes are closely guarded secrets so im expecting some heat for this one. In light of a few recent topics/posts about controlling predators i figured i would posts this and see what turns up. General area to go or specifics, post on here or PM me.
Im not expert and wont be able to devout a lot of time this winter but would like to help as much as I can with taking out some predators. West side or central mainly.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
Re: Predator Hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 05:48:36 AM »
If you find an area lacking deer or elk that's the place. Hold it that's the whole state

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 11:47:45 AM »
Interesting
I guess i expected a little more comments/interest.

Offline Longfield1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 11:51:26 AM »
I would love to do more predator hunting. Especially bear. Ive been looking at getting a few books that might help.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 11:52:40 AM »
Coyotes are literally everywhere.  Probably easiest to hunt in the open sage ground throughout the middle of the state.  Cougars and bobcats are everywhere too but usually are more concentrated in the wooded parts of the state.  The NE corner is completely overrun with cougars, bears, bobcat and yotes...but it is thicker country and a little harder to hunt unless you can access the lower agriculture fields.  I would bet most farmers / ranchers would welcome predator hunters after the deer and elk season is over.  knock on a few doors....worst they can say is no. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 11:58:45 AM »
 :yeah:

by far the most effective way to coyote hunt the brush in the NE corner is bait

which isn't really great for those travelling to hunt compared to the sage brush open hunting. 

Even in the sage near cattle, setting up over a frozen to the ground dead cow is most effective if well hidden in a hay blind with thermal

colder the better!  hunt those cold snaps

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
another problem is getting bait, in the NE one has to drive a whole lotta miles these days to find a road kill at times

in the 90's I could have a fresh road kill about every 20-30 miles, or less!  (had it been legal to pick up that is) :o

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
Back in the <$5 per gallon days, the technique was to drive (atv, dual sport, snowmobile, etc.) any road that got a skiff of snow on it within about 6 hours of the storm’s passing. Run as many miles of fresh snow as possible… absolutely amazing what you learn.

It’s still the best technique. Just more expensive.

How you go after the sharp teeth you locate is a whole other discussion!

Good for you, btw. Hoping more guys make special trips for predators these days. It’s the only way to counter the “self regulating” mindset of our current wildlife managers (and let human hunters back into management.) Predators (especially the big ones) need to die. They’re being protected and overpopulating.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 01:45:32 PM »
I'll PM you a spot that I saw a LOT of cougar and bob scat last year. It's walk in timber company land. Calling would likely be the only way to hunt them in there. Depending on where you're at in Lewis county it might be pretty close to you.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 02:10:33 PM »
I'll PM you a spot that I saw a LOT of cougar and bob scat last year. It's walk in timber company land. Calling would likely be the only way to hunt them in there. Depending on where you're at in Lewis county it might be pretty close to you.

Your inbox is full. Awesome thanks! I will give that a shot

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 02:12:41 PM »
Back in the <$5 per gallon days, the technique was to drive (atv, dual sport, snowmobile, etc.) any road that got a skiff of snow on it within about 6 hours of the storm’s passing. Run as many miles of fresh snow as possible… absolutely amazing what you learn.

It’s still the best technique. Just more expensive.

How you go after the sharp teeth you locate is a whole other discussion!

Good for you, btw. Hoping more guys make special trips for predators these days. It’s the only way to counter the “self regulating” mindset of our current wildlife managers (and let human hunters back into management.) Predators (especially the big ones) need to die. They’re being protected and overpopulating.

This is what I have been thinking of doing this winter. Im limiyed to walk, pedal bike, or ebike but Ive been thinking some fresh snow and putting on the miles would increase my odds.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 02:49:26 PM »

Your inbox is full. Awesome thanks! I will give that a shot

Thanks, cleaned it up!

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 03:11:32 PM »
You need snow .
Cut some tracks ,tell ya what's in your area in a hurry.
Follow those tracks for a few .....tell ya where there going,what they doing and all that stuff.
You can learn a lot by tracking.
Fresh snow always best.
If no snow ,setup to call in a spot where you can see them coming.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 06:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
Im going to go out on a limb here and say the whole predator problem comes across somewhat 2 faced.
This was a sincere request and also a test somewhat. Did I expect anyone to immediately give up their predator honey holes?? Absolutely not, they have spent the time to find these areas and figure out what works and what doesn't. Most of us have limited time to hunt and want it to be as productive as possible which means limit competition, as one of the factors.

On the other hand we cant scream that predators need to be thinned out yet stay tight liped about where they need thinned. I get it..its the entire state that needs help for sure. Also I know lots of people want to keep quiet because its where they deer/elk hunt and dont want to give that up. Completely understandable but how do we collectively curb predators?

I can continue to hunt my known locations and explore more by all means, thats what I have been doing. By default exploring leads to time spent unproductively working an area in some aspects. I am more than willing to share areas of where I have had success or heard of problems with predators, if that areas becomes unproductive..mission accomplished for the time being..movin on!

I know we (hunters) wont curb the problem by ourselves, DFW would need to change a lot (honestly who thinks they will change for the better??) but again I ask how can we collectively lower their numbers??

:twocents:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 07:06:01 PM »
I disagree about the tight lipped aspect, the predators by their very nature are widely dispersed and occurring everywhere. 

Instead of this misguided notion that no ones wants help you..I suggest you help yourself and hunt the same places you hunt deer or elk, as there will be predators there.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 07:17:42 PM »
 :yeah:

Pretty clear in my post that predators are everywhere.  I wasn't BS'ing you either....I run trail cams in central, north central and northeast and literally everywhere I put a camera there is a cougar, bear, coyotes, bobcat, etc......  If you don't believe me....buy a couple trail cameras and put them anywhere in the woods and you will come to the same conclusion. 

As for the "test"......what exactly did you expect people to say??  GPS coordinates to a cougar are.....#####....if it were that easy, there wouldn't be any cougars and every predator hunter on the forum would have awesome rugs and mounts.  I'm just super confused by your intentions. 

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 07:39:43 PM »
Yeah I have cats/bears/yotes/bobs on camera around St Helens, off Hwy 2, all up and down the Methow, the NE corner...and I've only had cameras for 2 years now. They're everywhere.

I'm taking/have taken a few dedicated predator hunts this year to areas I hunt deer and elk. Unfortunately I can't do that every weekend but I would if I could. In between I'm trying to clear predators out of other people's hunting spots I guess :chuckle:

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 07:56:22 PM »
Dont take my post as a b**** fest that nobody is helping me if thats how it came out!!

I do spend time in the areas i elk and deer hunt, im looking for more areas.

Thanks Jrebel for the info on the NE, I should of mentioned that earlier, it might be a while before i make it that far east but thanks thats the info i was hoping more people would share. Not just for me specifically but for every other hunter thats looking for intel on this subject.

My intention is that a lot of people are saying predators are an issue but when asked where can I help out...mums the word. Not one person said head into the Methow valley, potholes, blues, etc. Ya I can glean some of that info from here now and again. Ask me where to predator hunt and im going to direct you to the areas I know hold predators and what has worked for me. I want them gone! I will give out gps coordinates even of where i have set up.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 07:59:10 PM »
Yeah I have cats/bears/yotes/bobs on camera around St Helens, off Hwy 2, all up and down the Methow, the NE corner...and I've only had cameras for 2 years now. They're everywhere.

I'm taking/have taken a few dedicated predator hunts this year to areas I hunt deer and elk. Unfortunately I can't do that every weekend but I would if I could. In between I'm trying to clear predators out of other people's hunting spots I guess :chuckle:

For the record @pickardjw did send me coordinates of a gate in Lewis county that he seen lots of sign behind, and im willing to send them to the next guy that wants them even before i have a chance at hunting it.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 08:08:50 PM »
Everybody hunts predator ,where they hunt deer,Elk and all the other.
I'd take some of my spots and locations to the grave.
That's why I suggested learning to track animals.
I will tell ya one secrect.....
Here it comes....
Old timers game camera is a set of tracks 👣.
They can tell you more than a game cam will.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2022, 09:29:32 PM »

I think most people don't want to advertise hunting areas for elk and deer for a few people to hunt predators not knowing the individual.
With that said any area that closes roads in the winter for access that animals migrate into will likely hold lots of predators. They follow the food.

I think that will be my focus if I can get out for some cat hunts later this year. Or somewhere close I can find lots of walking roads with a little snow. Need to get some calls or an e-caller once I find tracks.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 05:36:51 AM »
THe Wenas is full of coyotes.   There are professional hunters that hunt the Wenas.  THere are members on here that hunt the Wenas and saying WHAT THE.... to this post.  I shoot every coyote I have a safe shot at from my porch.   They still keep coming.   Literally I think the only thing that will rid the area of coyotes will be wolves.  I suspect much of Eastern Washington is the same.   

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 06:27:09 AM »
THe Wenas is full of coyotes.   There are professional hunters that hunt the Wenas.  THere are members on here that hunt the Wenas and saying WHAT THE.... to this post.  I shoot every coyote I have a safe shot at from my porch.   They still keep coming.   Literally I think the only thing that will rid the area of coyotes will be wolves.  I suspect much of Eastern Washington is the same.

:tup: sounds like the Wenas could use some help. Thanks

Offline pashok23

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 08:45:47 AM »
Dont take my post as a b**** fest that nobody is helping me if thats how it came out!!

I do spend time in the areas i elk and deer hunt, im looking for more areas.

Thanks Jrebel for the info on the NE, I should of mentioned that earlier, it might be a while before i make it that far east but thanks thats the info i was hoping more people would share. Not just for me specifically but for every other hunter thats looking for intel on this subject.

My intention is that a lot of people are saying predators are an issue but when asked where can I help out...mums the word. Not one person said head into the Methow valley, potholes, blues, etc. Ya I can glean some of that info from here now and again. Ask me where to predator hunt and im going to direct you to the areas I know hold predators and what has worked for me. I want them gone! I will give out gps coordinates even of where i have set up.
hi, youve being told by others, predators are all over the state, pick the area, ENJOY

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 09:19:22 AM »
Im going to go out on a limb here and say the whole predator problem comes across somewhat 2 faced.
This was a sincere request and also a test somewhat. Did I expect anyone to immediately give up their predator honey holes?? Absolutely not, they have spent the time to find these areas and figure out what works and what doesn't. Most of us have limited time to hunt and want it to be as productive as possible which means limit competition, as one of the factors.

On the other hand we cant scream that predators need to be thinned out yet stay tight liped about where they need thinned. I get it..its the entire state that needs help for sure. Also I know lots of people want to keep quiet because its where they deer/elk hunt and dont want to give that up. Completely understandable but how do we collectively curb predators?

I can continue to hunt my known locations and explore more by all means, thats what I have been doing. By default exploring leads to time spent unproductively working an area in some aspects. I am more than willing to share areas of where I have had success or heard of problems with predators, if that areas becomes unproductive..mission accomplished for the time being..movin on!

I know we (hunters) wont curb the problem by ourselves, DFW would need to change a lot (honestly who thinks they will change for the better??) but again I ask how can we collectively lower their numbers??

I have a life situation that is curbing my outside time... which I hope to someday remedy, but I digress.

Suffice it to say that between 2008 and about 2015 I spent about one day per week from December to March chasing predators. About. Give or take. Mostly Cougars, and I'd take a bobcat that came in before I switched to Cougar vocals, but sometimes I'd get frustrated on the wet side with the low density cats, and I'd come to the dry side and call Coyotes. Usually did pretty good too.

After all that, I don't HAVE any "honey holes." They don't work like that.

At their own level, they pretty much follow prey density and disperse based on their species.

Dispersion: Coyotes thicker and often in groups. (I called 7 at once on Lake Roosevelt one time, only got one because I made a mistake and waited too long.)  Cats mostly individually, on very rare occasion in pairs, or in mother/cub groups, spread out by territorial aggression. Cougars way more space than Bobcats. Male Cougars bigger territories, Female cougars inside the male territories in smaller territories..... et.al. ad infinitum.....

Prey Density: If there's no food in the area, they won't stay there. They haven't built houses and established school bus routes, they migrate. Look for food. I know of a Cougar that lived on 700 acres for 2 years, killed a deer per week... because the deer were there. I know hundreds of square miles that don't hold a single one. I know areas where there are about 2.6 deer per acre, but it's a dense neighborhood, and the cougars onle occasionally sneak in, make a kill or two, then escape, they're scared of all that activity. Coyotes territorialze fiercely, but in far more density. But they have to eat too. Locate cats by sightings, kills, and tracks (in the snow is easiest.) Howl for Coyotes, in the middle of the night... it's awesome! Or tracks, or dens, or roadkill (if you find an area - of interstate, for instance - with lots of coyote road kill, that's rare, and means something..... et.al.... ad more infinitum......

Honey holes are not relevant to predator hunting.

You need to learn your target species.

- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »

I have a life situation that is curbing my outside time... which I hope to someday remedy, but I digress.

Suffice it to say that between 2008 and about 2015 I spent about one day per week from December to March chasing predators. About. Give or take. Mostly Cougars, and I'd take a bobcat that came in before I switched to Cougar vocals, but sometimes I'd get frustrated on the wet side with the low density cats, and I'd come to the dry side and call Coyotes. Usually did pretty good too.

After all that, I don't HAVE any "honey holes." They don't work like that.

At their own level, they pretty much follow prey density and disperse based on their species.

Dispersion: Coyotes thicker and often in groups. (I called 7 at once on Lake Roosevelt one time, only got one because I made a mistake and waited too long.)  Cats mostly individually, on very rare occasion in pairs, or in mother/cub groups, spread out by territorial aggression. Cougars way more space than Bobcats. Male Cougars bigger territories, Female cougars inside the male territories in smaller territories..... et.al. ad infinitum.....

Prey Density: If there's no food in the area, they won't stay there. They haven't built houses and established school bus routes, they migrate. Look for food. I know of a Cougar that lived on 700 acres for 2 years, killed a deer per week... because the deer were there. I know hundreds of square miles that don't hold a single one. I know areas where there are about 2.6 deer per acre, but it's a dense neighborhood, and the cougars onle occasionally sneak in, make a kill or two, then escape, they're scared of all that activity. Coyotes territorialze fiercely, but in far more density. But they have to eat too. Locate cats by sightings, kills, and tracks (in the snow is easiest.) Howl for Coyotes, in the middle of the night... it's awesome! Or tracks, or dens, or roadkill (if you find an area - of interstate, for instance - with lots of coyote road kill, that's rare, and means something..... et.al.... ad more infinitum......

Honey holes are not relevant to predator hunting.

You need to learn your target species.

Good info, thanks for sharing some of your experience.  I would love to get good at predator hunting, partially because that would mean I was spending more time in the woods somewhere.  :tup:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 07:30:18 PM »
Sitting in a Rv up here in Vail. Been three cougars gotten in the last few weeks. On last week with one of my calls. Can’t wait to call here. Use different sounds. For coyotes I Howl a lot. Did great back in the day in Wenas. Get off the road aways use different sounds.
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
 :tup: great info rainshadow, you touched on my point  "I know hundreds of square miles that don't hold a single one. " these are the areas i wish could be made known somehow. Not just to me but to everyone that makes it out and focus on the areas with high populations.
Bearmanric im unfamiliar with the Vail but ill put it in my notes to look into.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2022, 08:08:16 PM »
I locked in here it is Weyerhaeuser permit behind a gat. I’m deer hunting it is by Yelm.
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2022, 08:10:02 PM »
Ah gotcha, st helens weyco pass is probably all i will keep buying.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2022, 08:27:14 PM »

:tup: sounds like the Wenas could use some help. Thanks

Bone is right, no shortage of dogs out here. I can step outside on a calm night and hear multiple different packs firing off. But lots of dogs doesn't mean easy, there are lots of dogs all over eastern WA. They get hunted hard out here and are pretty educated for the most part. Still killable, but you'll work for them.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2022, 08:54:48 PM »
 :tup: its on my list!

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 03:28:50 PM »
I just made this for my website and Facebook page…

“Have you considered the feasibility of taking a dedicated predator hunting trip? Especially focusing on cougars? Think it wouldn’t be worth it? Let me give out an early Christmas Present here… I want to up your odds!”

Apologies for the skippy audio, not sure what the dealio is with it.

- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2022, 04:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the video Steve. Listening to your seminars currently, they're also very helpful.

Regarding the tip to "go where you know there are cats" I came across this tool that could help. The map gives a good idea of recent cougar incidents and sightings. It would be nice to be able to filter for confirmed sightings but it's better than nothing.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/living/dangerous-wildlife/reports

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2022, 04:58:58 PM »
Thanks for the video Steve. Listening to your seminars currently, they're also very helpful.

Regarding the tip to "go where you know there are cats" I came across this tool that could help. The map gives a good idea of recent cougar incidents and sightings. It would be nice to be able to filter for confirmed sightings but it's better than nothing.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/living/dangerous-wildlife/reports

You'll find they're a little better indicator of where PEOPLE are, but there is some good to be gleaned!
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2022, 05:08:00 PM »
Good point! Found this one pretty interesting though...

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2022, 09:07:17 AM »
What is everyone's rifle setup look like for predators?

Bolt or semi-auto?
What caliber and do you change it up for cats vs yotes?
What power scope?
What round and factory or reload?

Thinking about eventually putting together a lightweight AR in 5.56/.223. Hear good things about the 77gr Sierra tipped match kings. Obviously this would not be allowed for bear in WA. Scope power is the biggest question for me. Leaning towards a 2-7.

This year I'll be carrying a Tikka T3X Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting the 143 ELD-X with a 4-16x44 Zeiss V4. Not really a dedicated predator rifle, hot round inside 100 yds!

Offline johnbmyersii

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2022, 10:45:11 AM »

Bolt or semi-auto?
What power scope?

Thinking about eventually putting together a lightweight AR in 5.56/.223. Hear good things about the 77gr Sierra tipped match kings. Obviously this would not be allowed for bear in WA. Scope power is the biggest question for me. Leaning towards a 2-7.

This year I'll be carrying a Tikka T3X Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting the 143 ELD-X with a 4-16x44 Zeiss V4. Not really a dedicated predator rifle, hot round inside 100 yds!

Im no great predator hunter but I built an AR with a White Oak Armament 20" barrel 223, their varmit model, 1:7 twist. Topped it with a vortex viper 4-16x44. I tailored the barrel twist rate for some creedmoor sports 223 loaded with 75gn hornday hpbt bullets that I had lying around. Hopefully I'll go put it to use this year but at the range the setup shoots lights out.

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2022, 10:57:20 AM »

Bolt or semi-auto?
What power scope?

If you're hunting the west side the 2-7 will serve you better than the 4-16.  Maybe swap scopes on your Tikka for predator season?  I use a .243, 100 grain bullets, and 2.5-10 west side predator hunting. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 11:02:46 AM by fly-by »

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2022, 11:08:41 AM »
Unfortunately don't have a 2-7 yet. I do have a 3-9 Nikon BDC on my 30-06, haven't shot that gun in a while.

But looking at the SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x32 now. Heard good things about the SWFA's and at 9 oz it fits the bill for lightweight. Hard to get hands on though...

Might finish the build on that AR I have in the classifieds, make sure it doesn't blow up, and then put the 3-9 Nikon on there for this season.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »
I just made this for my website and Facebook page…

“Have you considered the feasibility of taking a dedicated predator hunting trip? Especially focusing on cougars? Think it wouldn’t be worth it? Let me give out an early Christmas Present here… I want to up your odds!”

Apologies for the skippy audio, not sure what the dealio is with it.

This is one I bumped out of its bed, bummer.   I over hiked it looking for a perfect setup to call.  Should have held back, or circled away instead of dogging it.   I can't run them down, bummer knee.  I can walk but there's no going quickly through the woods so that option is out.  A 20 something could have possibly tree'd that cat by foot. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2022, 08:52:37 AM »
I think the best predator gun  would be a combo gun like the old savage model 24 in 223 and 12 gauge. Some one on here has a European drilling that is 222 rem and 16 gauge I think that hunts them.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2022, 09:27:55 AM »
For brush hunting cats I've been kinda liking a .44 ruger carbine,  its a ruger semi auto

A lot like a ruger 10/22 but in 44 mag

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand