collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wind River Project  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Wind River Project
« on: October 26, 2022, 06:31:36 AM »
Late to get this out there. GIfford Pinchot NF, NWTF and WDFW are working together on a turkey habitat retoration project on the Wind River District near Mt Adams.  It had clearing out of non native plants and reseeding and planting of native plants and trees.  2 weekend of have alr3ady happened so that is why I am late and I apologize.  NWTF volunteer will be out the 4,5 and 6th of November.  I know general rifle for elk west side and last weekend of east side for some places but this is the NF's planning.  Can't be perfect on when to pick a date plus this is premium time to plant.  Also this is good for master hunters for those that might need hours.  We are also doing a potluck on Saturday.  Flyers is attached.  Hope to see some of you there.
Russell McDonald
NWTF Washington State Chapter President

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
What:  The Gifford Pinchot National Forest (GPNF) partnered with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) to apply WDFW funding towards obtaining native seed stock beneficial to wild turkey forage as well as a host of other native wildlife species in the Middle Wind planning area. 2360 containerized, native plants will be planted in key areas lacking in plant diversity. An additional 500lbs of native seed mix was purchased and will be used to revegetate areas disturbed by pending timber stand thinning operations and in-stream restoration efforts. The Skamania County Noxious Weed Board was given funds to conduct noxious weed abatement on approximately 132ac of early seral turkey habitat. The GPNF is collaborating with the NWTF to set up volunteer planting events during the fall of 2022.
When:  Planting date is Nov 4-6, but NWTF volunteers may come to the Oct 14-16 and 21-23 events as well. Events will go as long as there is daylight and plants to plant. Folks may come and go as they please.
Where:  Volunteers have permission to meet and outdoor camp at the Beaver Campground located off the Wind River Hwy just north of Carson, WA. Toilets are on site. Please review the campground regulations at: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232864
Campfires may not be allowed depending on burn bans and wildfire danger.
How:  Planting tools, instruction, and camping arrangements will be provided to volunteers through the GPNF. Some light, offroad walking and carrying of tools and plants will be required.
Bring:  Layers, rain gear, planting gloves, lunch, snacks, water, any camping/overnight needs, and a positive mental attitude!
Contacts:  Please let Conner England, Wildlife Biologist, GPNF (Jamison.england@usda.gov; 360-891-5108 [email preferred]) and/or Krista Modlin, Wildlife Biologist, NWTF (kmodlin@nwtf.net) if you’ll be attending.
[/email]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:38:35 AM by Russ McDonald »
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
Re: Wind River Project
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 07:09:28 AM »
smack dab in the start of Modern Elk western WA!, for the west side folks, would have been better planned prior to modern buck season????:twocents: would had loved to go but ...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: Wind River Project
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 07:12:33 AM »
smack dab in the start of Modern Elk western WA!, for the west side folks, would have been better planned prior to modern buck season? ???:twocents: would had loved to go but ...
Yup I know but planting is best after the rain and before the snow according to the NF bio.  Would have been hard to plant into the hard dry ground anyway  :chuckle: .  Never a good date to do a lot of stuff believe me I know when planning a banquet.  Good luck hunting.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]