collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Silencer finally approved  (Read 5867 times)

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
Re: Silencer finally approved
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 05:26:03 AM »
Dropped by WCA today and they're seeing about 7-8 months even with the e-forms, sounds like there's still a paper form backlog.

Any recommendations for a suppressor with a .223-.308 caliber range? Looking at the Thunderbeast Ultra 7, Banish 30 or HX QD 762 for use on an AR in 5.56, 6.5 tikka and some future .30 cal guns, semi and bolt.
Silencerco Omega 300 has been great for me the last few years. Run it on my 6.5, 300wsm, 7mm-08, .223

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 12:50:25 PM »
Ultra 7 is what I ordered.

For 1.5 diameter can the TBAC Gen2 Ultra 7 and 9 are pretty much as good as it gets.  They're class leading with regard to weight and the amount of suppression for a 1.5 inch suppressor.  TBAC has excellent CS and make extremely high quality suppressors that are second to none with regard to repeatability.

If you want more suppression and don't mind a little more weight and a larger diameter can, some of the 1.75-1.80 diameter cans are pretty amazing.  For it's size I think one of the best cans out there is the Dead Air Nomad LT.  CGS is another company that makes really good stuff.  For the ultimate 30cal suppressor the new TBAC Magnus is crazy good.

I allowed myself to get lured in to Silencer Central sales pitch and bought one of their Banish 30's and there Banish rimfire can.  I bought mine before the new system was up so my purchases went all by paper no electronic and it was well over a full year to get them.  My other cans were all only about six months before that.

The Banish30 is a modular can so it can be run as 7 or 9 inch configuration but after playing with it a bit I'll likely never use it as a 7in can.  In the shorter configuration I wasn't very impressed but as a 9 it's decent.  The Banish rimfire can is pretty good though and they're very light too. 

Ray Sanchez with TBAC does about as much testing of different suppressors as anyone I know.  Even though Ray is one of the owners of TBAC his testing is as impartial as it gets and has no problem complimenting other companies products.  Other companies send their products to Ray to be included in his sound testing.  If you look up Ray Sanchez on youtube Ray has a bunch of videos where they've metered all kinds of different suppressors in a variety of calibers on numerous different host guns.  It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for a suppressor.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 10:37:05 AM »
Finally here.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 02:51:45 PM »
I ordered mine from Silencer Central 22 July 2021.  Received it the beginning of Nov 2022.  Paper form. 
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 04:02:27 PM »
Are there any local shops that do suppressor sales and paperwork? I've read that the online shops (Silencer Co, Silencer Shop) are slow to submit and slow to ship once approved adding 3-8 weeks on top of the ATF's timeline...
Yes, I am one of them and a site sponsor.

Silencer Co only sells silencers to distributors, you can't get them direct as a end user. Silencer Shop isn't slow. If you went to their site and bought a silencer right now but, took your time (weeks, months) to input your information, they will not ship  or submit a Form 3 until you've done your part.

Dropped by WCA today and they're seeing about 7-8 months even with the e-forms, sounds like there's still a paper form backlog.

Any recommendations for a suppressor with a .223-.308 caliber range? Looking at the Thunderbeast Ultra 7, Banish 30 or HX QD 762 for use on an AR in 5.56, 6.5 tikka and some future .30 cal guns, semi and bolt.
  Any .30 cal silencer will suppress those but, your range of product interest and unstated intended use are wide.
For 5.56, what's you're intended use? Range? LARPing, weekend training with KAGWerks, coyote hunting? An HX QD 762 weighs significantly more than a TB Ultra 7 and were designed/manufactured for nearly opposite duties.

For example, around here, police department patrol units get issue HX silencers for the ARs and I have the QD 7.62 on a 5.56 machine gun that has a matching 300BO upper.

I wouldn't ever consider or recommend a Ultra 7 for duty use, duty training etc etc.  I wouldn't recommend  a HX 762 for a long barrel bolt gun just because it puts a significant amount of weight out front. I tried the 762 on a 24" Rem 700 300WM and it was too front heavy for my liking. That silencer weighs in 17-18oz range vs the Ultra 7 and even the Ultra 9 are in the 8-11.8oz range.

Also, if you're really into chasing down decibels, a 6.5 suppressor vs a .30 cal suppressor may be of interest to you for that Tikka.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2022, 07:59:48 AM »
Thanks Dreadi, I ended up geeking out over suppressors during the holidays and decided on a Dead Air Nomad TI, bought through WCA earlier this week since they're 2 minutes from my apartment.

The guys there recommended the HX QD 762 but like you mentioned that was not the right suppressor for my intended use. I guess I didn't explain that well. They also did not have a ton of ultralight options there, so I guess their typical clientele is not backcountry hunters...had to order the Nomad into the store.

The 5.56 use will be for predator hunting. I may get a dedicated can for that at some point but for now the Nomad will do. Same with the 6.5. I'll likely replace my cheap savage 30-06 with a better 30 cal rifle at some point so a 30 cal can makes the most sense right now. You mentioned the Ultra 7, unfortunately it was out of stock but I think I was sold on the Nomad already.

Will probably get a .22LR can next...once I financially recover from the Nomad. Would love to have that and a 10/22 backpacker.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 08:18:42 AM »
Thanks Dreadi, I ended up geeking out over suppressors during the holidays and decided on a Dead Air Nomad TI, bought through WCA earlier this week since they're 2 minutes from my apartment.

The guys there recommended the HX QD 762 but like you mentioned that was not the right suppressor for my intended use. I guess I didn't explain that well. They also did not have a ton of ultralight options there, so I guess their typical clientele is not backcountry hunters...had to order the Nomad into the store.

The 5.56 use will be for predator hunting. I may get a dedicated can for that at some point but for now the Nomad will do. Same with the 6.5. I'll likely replace my cheap savage 30-06 with a better 30 cal rifle at some point so a 30 cal can makes the most sense right now. You mentioned the Ultra 7, unfortunately it was out of stock but I think I was sold on the Nomad already.

Will probably get a .22LR can next...once I financially recover from the Nomad. Would love to have that and a 10/22 backpacker.

What sold you so hard on the Nomad? From what I can tell your criteria was pretty similar to what I'm looking for. Light weight, long range accuracy, multi cal versatility, recoil reduction. It will live on a bolt action 7mm or .30 cal most of the year doing backcountry type hunts so weight is huge. Winter it will likely end up on a .243 or 22-250. I've been eyeballing the ultra 7 or the Banish backcountry

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2022, 08:47:23 AM »
What sold you so hard on the Nomad? From what I can tell your criteria was pretty similar to what I'm looking for. Light weight, long range accuracy, multi cal versatility. It will live on a bolt action 7mm or .30 cal most of the year doing backcountry type hunts so weight is huge. Winter it will likely end up on a .243 or 22-250. I've been eyeballing the ultra 7 or the Banish backcountry

I put this spreadsheet together, in this image it's filtered for suppressors under 11 oz. It's probably not ALL of the options but some of the more popular ones from what I gathered.

The Nomad TI has the highest suppression rating on this list for a .308 WIN per PewScience except for the Ultra 9 (they don't have the same data on any other TBAC suppressor). I imagine the Ultra 7 is real close to the Nomad though.

I prioritized the decibel reduction, then weight, then length, then OD. So the Nomad was the clear winner dB wise and the 1.6oz over the Ultra 7 wasn't enough to knock it down the list. The OD may be an issue at low power in the scope but I usually zoom to 6x at least. Also, it seems like everyone has an Ultra 7 so...kinda wanted to go against the grain, try something different but that should perform similarly  :dunno:

I also primarily run stainless barrels so I figure the TI will look sweet on those  :chuckle:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 09:19:04 AM »
What sold you so hard on the Nomad? From what I can tell your criteria was pretty similar to what I'm looking for. Light weight, long range accuracy, multi cal versatility. It will live on a bolt action 7mm or .30 cal most of the year doing backcountry type hunts so weight is huge. Winter it will likely end up on a .243 or 22-250. I've been eyeballing the ultra 7 or the Banish backcountry

I put this spreadsheet together, in this image it's filtered for suppressors under 11 oz. It's probably not ALL of the options but some of the more popular ones from what I gathered.

The Nomad TI has the highest suppression rating on this list for a .308 WIN per PewScience except for the Ultra 9 (they don't have the same data on any other TBAC suppressor). I imagine the Ultra 7 is real close to the Nomad though.

I prioritized the decibel reduction, then weight, then length, then OD. So the Nomad was the clear winner dB wise and the 1.6oz over the Ultra 7 wasn't enough to knock it down the list. The OD may be an issue at low power in the scope but I usually zoom to 6x at least. Also, it seems like everyone has an Ultra 7 so...kinda wanted to go against the grain, try something different but that should perform similarly  :dunno:

I also primarily run stainless barrels so I figure the TI will look sweet on those  :chuckle:

Nice work, the Nomad definitely has a little more cool factor and I can't imagine the extra .117" sticking up could be too much of an issue  :chuckle: looks like the ultra 7 gives up about 6db to the 9 so the Nomad has the edge there too. Hmm...

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
Silencer finally approved
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 08:26:29 PM »
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:38:26 PM by dreadi »
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2022, 05:27:40 PM »
Well I officially entered the suppressor club today.  I mean, whenever the tax stamp gets approved by I will enter the club, LOL.  Sometime next summer or fall hopefully.  Bought a Rugged Occulus for the 22 and Omega 45K for the 45 (and may re-use it on the 300BO and 9mm at some point).  Next up will be a rifle suppressor, but going to take more time on researching those before doing that.   So following along on your guys feedback on these rifle suppressors mentioned here.

Offline Bendejo

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2022, 04:46:31 PM »
Finally here.

Is that a direct thread, or needs a mount? I hope to get one for a lw tikka 30cal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2022, 04:57:07 PM »
Finally here.

Is that a direct thread, or needs a mount? I hope to get one for a lw tikka 30cal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Adapter

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2022, 06:45:46 AM »
The Banish 30 is direct thread.  Ordered mine 5/8-24 and have an adapter that takes it down to 1/2-28 for my 223AI.  Really impressed with the recoil reduction on my Howa Super Lite.  Takes the bite out of the recoil of a 5.5# rifle, but that could be just because it added about 20% of the weight of the rifle also.

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 12:00:38 PM »
I got a Deadair Sandman-S for my rifles and a Silencerco Sparrow for .22.   I chose the Sparrow because it was rated for .17 WSM and Ruger 5.7.  So far I love the Sandman and the quick change adapter is very nice (although the break for each rifle is $89) to switch in and out.  The Sparrow is lights out.  on my bolt action Ruger American the 22lr is quieter than my pellet gun....
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]