collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Higher end/flocked duck decoy options  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Higher end/flocked duck decoy options
« on: November 16, 2022, 05:09:47 PM »
Hello, Im Special T, Im addicted to Decoys.

Now that we got that out of the way, and it should be apparent that I dont really need any decoys. HOWEVER I do have a couple spots I hunt were 2 or 4 mallard decoys just crush. Ive used some newish GHG mallard and teal decoys that do pretty good in these tiny pockets I hunt. Ive wondered if Flocked headed decoys or fully flocked decoys  would be the ticket considering I use so few.  The times I would really like them to work better is sunny days, possibly cold icy conditions with at least some sun. Im able to get 1 mallard one tea to fit in my bucket seat, and my spots are usually on y hunted by 2 people. Help me with some Brands and your experience with using them, best way to store/transport.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Higher end/flocked duck decoy options
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 07:40:52 PM »
I've also a pocket about 8' diameter that I can crush the mallards. No flocking cuz I use two hen decoys. Good spots don't need anything special, so any brand would be fine.Trying to find less than 6 might be tough though. Are 4packs sold?

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 07:50:28 PM »
 Don’t do it.   It’s addicting and you’ll end up with more than the 4 you are wanting.
I know this because now I own 5 dozen flocked and painted by Don Mintz, 1 dozen corks carved and painted by Kurt Benson from up by you, 2 mallards (one an urn of my last lab) carved by Patrick Bearden, that I hunt once a year, and my kids each get a carved and painted block by Patrick for their birthdays each year.  Again, don’t get into the high end decoy game!  :)

Though, I and folks I hunt with will say they do produce better in your face action when the sun is bright.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 07:53:44 PM »
Don’t do it.   It’s addicting and you’ll end up with more than the 4 you are wanting.
I know this because now I own 5 dozen flocked and painted by Don Mintz, 1 dozen corks carved and painted by Kurt Benson from up by you, 2 mallards (one an urn of my last lab) carved by Patrick Bearden, that I hunt once a year, and my kids each get a carved and painted block by Patrick for their birthdays each year.  Again, don’t get into the high end decoy game!  :)

Though, I and folks I hunt with will say they do produce better in your face action when the sun is bright.

Uh oh... I for got about Kurt... Ive meet him several times. Perhaps I will have to explore burlap covered foam with him Painintng for me.... HMMM
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 07:57:26 PM »

Uh oh... I for got about Kurt... Ive meet him several times. Perhaps I will have to explore burlap covered foam with him Painintng for me.... HMMM

Just get him to do some cork birds, they are heavier, but only carrying 4 it’s not a big deal at all.  I’ve carried in his dozen and didn’t die.  Though I use them mostly when boating in.    Cork rides so freaking good on the water compared to anything else. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:03:51 PM by 92xj »
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 07:17:01 AM »
As mentioned, if you only want a few, do some nostalgia.  Get some wood or cork ones that are nicely painted.  I have 2 dozen corks and close to 30 hand carved decoys.  One of the guys that I follow that does epic decoys, probably the best I have seen is Robert Gohl.  I would love to have a dozen of his.  As for flocking, I don’t really see a difference and I hunt all the time and all over the place.  I have had plenty of time to study this.  I see a difference with geese, especially cacklers.  Ducks in general, nope.  If you have a well-educated group of ducks and a limited amount maybe, but from my experience if you have a rested spot, great hide, the birds will come right in.  Add a jerk cord to one of those 2, 3 or 4 decoys you use and it’s game over.  They drop right in most of the time.  Maybe flocked decoys can land the ducks, but I don’t let them land as I shoot them over the decoys.  I have about 8 dozen flocked decoys.  I just don’t use them as I didn’t like the flocking wearing off and looking all off.  I have shot my limit the last 10 days over sihlos, full bodies, hot buys,and flocked decoys last night.  Last night, no wind, glassy water and sun in our face.  I rigged up a pull string and they would try to land where my 4 decoys attached to my jerk cord were located.  Decoys are marketed towards the hunter.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 09:01:47 AM »
Decoy Dr on Facebook is out of the tri cities, I think he charges $30-35 per duck. Amazing work if you can shell out the money.

Offline HooknoseHunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:34 PM »
Dave Smiths. Excellent quality and the colors are perfect.
Western Washington is a *censored*hole country

Offline cjc23

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 08:53:47 AM »
If you're stuffing them into the bucket and walking in, my buddy and I have really started to like the lifetime decoys. They are the EVA foam which I was sort of against at first but have really come to appreciate, super light and have flocked heads that look pretty damn good. They aren't going to be the same as a dsd or one of these custom decoy carvers bur for just grabbing a couple from the store or ordering on line we really like them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal