collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting Coyotes within 100 yards  (Read 879 times)

Offline erbolton94

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Getting Coyotes within 100 yards
« on: November 28, 2022, 10:42:59 AM »
Hello, saw a coyote and tons of sign while deer hunting this year and decided to try and thin out the population and get some pelts out of it. I'm in the thick vegetation of westside WA and have a tree stand which overlooks a grassy meadow surrounded by ~8-10 year old reprod. Also, I'm hunting an area that has firearm restrictions and as a result am using my muzzleloader which I am confident with out to 100 yards. Last weekend I started with a jackrabbit for 20 minutes, and then changed to a cottontail. Within 3 minutes a coyote was seen about 175 yards away on the edge of the big timber, not the reprod. He watched for ~5 minutes before he slowly lurked away never to be seen again. Wind direction was good, I thought I was being very still and I don't believe he saw me. Any tips on how to close the gap to less than 100 yards? Also, any call sequence advice for westside coyote is appreciated. However, I've read a few sequences others have recommended. I'm also curious what some of you experts would have done in this situation where you have the coyotes attention, but the yote isn't fully committed and won't come any closer. Also, I recently threw the leftover turkey bones from Thanksgiving out in this area and am excited to see what the camera picks up.
Thanks

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Re: Getting Coyotes within 100 yards
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 11:04:11 AM »
I doubt the coyote "lurked away" unless it busted you, what it most likely did was circle around inside the timber until it got your wind. 

Instead of putting call out in front of you, place it well behind you 50 yards, or more if the antenna will reach.  Sit off to the side about a 45 degree angle and place yourself so you can see well into the timber and the timberline in front of the call.  The idea is the coyote or other lredator will approach the timberline and hang up, but your off to the side so maybe you can see it, and your much closer than the predators are expecting you to be.  If the coyote shows up in front of tbe call but circles downwind be prepared to lip squeak as it slips past, or if it circles the wrong way squeak it back to your side.  Calling in the timber is a lot different than calling in the big open sage flats.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 11:10:02 AM by KFhunter »

Offline erbolton94

• Pilgrim
Re: Getting Coyotes within 100 yards
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 11:12:17 AM »
Awesome, your art work was very helpful haha. Yes when he was lurking away it was getting downwind, and like you said he probably got a whiff of me. Thanks for the tips

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal