collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is out of state worth all the hype?  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Chesapeake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Is out of state worth all the hype?
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »
As I recall Eastman's started it with their draw reports that were in the back of the magazine. Then other outfits sprang up like Hunting Fool ect... Then maybe Toprut and then Gohunt. Not sure on the entire order of things.

Used to be you had to go to fish and game websites, call biologists, ect... to research all this stuff. Now you just pay a few bucks and its delivered to you on a platter.

The latest ground zero for the bomb that is Gohunt was Alaska. Just before that was cow tags.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go back to before the advent of the consumer grade handheld GPS, smart phones, and Tag services? The good old days when most folks were afraid to leave trails and roads and you could still do some research and find a diamond in the rough draw tag that was under-utilized. 

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »
As I recall Eastman's started it with their draw reports that were in the back of the magazine. Then other outfits sprang up like Hunting Fool ect... Then maybe Toprut and then Gohunt. Not sure on the entire order of things.

Used to be you had to go to fish and game websites, call biologists, ect... to research all this stuff. Now you just pay a few bucks and its delivered to you on a platter.

The latest ground zero for the bomb that is Gohunt was Alaska. Just before that was cow tags.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go back to before the advent of the consumer grade handheld GPS, smart phones, and Tag services? The good old days when most folks were afraid to leave trails and roads and you could still do some research and find a diamond in the rough draw tag that was under-utilized.
Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2022, 03:04:08 PM »
I’ve bought Idaho tags since I was in high school (late 90’s).  I started hunting Montana in 2005 and Colorado in 2008.   I didn’t really start aggressively hunting multiple states until 2009, when I got out of the Navy.   In my short history, I noticed a substantial difference in competition for tags  in about 2015.  From there, it has gotten progressively “worse”.   

Been pretty tough the last few years between tag competition and mature mule deer numbers across the west.   Hate to do it, but I think I’ll heading north or south of the border in 2023….

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2022, 04:33:32 PM »
The internet is/ has been the downfall of OTC opportunities... :twocents:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
thanks AL Gore  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2022, 04:54:09 PM »
thanks AL Gore  :chuckle:

Ouch...

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2022, 07:24:47 PM »

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2022, 07:26:20 PM »

:yeah: truth

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2022, 08:05:40 PM »

Hit the nail way to squarely on the head. It's the facts. :yeah:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2022, 06:15:11 AM »
It's a double edged sword for sure.  Personally, I would like to go back to the years where OnX was out there but nobody knew about it.  Man, I had a bunch of honey holes that were never hunted.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2022, 08:15:09 AM »
It's a double edged sword for sure.  Personally, I would like to go back to the years where OnX was out there but nobody knew about it.  Man, I had a bunch of honey holes that were never hunted.

Buying the chips for individual devices was likely a control mechanism for sure. Once it went app on mobile devices, it was over.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2022, 10:04:57 AM »

:yeah: truth

As we all commiserate on an Internet forum over fewer opportunities… :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2022, 11:12:23 AM »

💥

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2022, 11:21:28 AM »

Yea - it is definitely more than just GoHunt or any one or two companies...it's the entire industry including the content producers that have created the hype and the tools to enable folks to participate.  It is unsustainable...states will continue to cut NR opportunity to the bone...and R opportunity will also take hits as populations explode in western states.   :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]