collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I think we broke the Idaho website  (Read 15112 times)

Offline CarbonHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
Re: I think we broke the Idaho website
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2022, 05:52:09 PM »
I think one of the problems created this year was that you could get in line (online & on the phone) without logging in. This allowed people to login on multiple devices and get several numbers causing the overload to the system.

Let’s be honest, there wasn’t 67k different people attempting to get tags. Everyone of you who refreshed you page and got another number were counted multiple times.

If I remember correctly last year we had to login to get a number in line. Think of how many fewer people would have been in their line if you had to login.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2022, 06:17:51 AM »
One thing is for sure. The tags sold out a lot faster this year than last year.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2022, 08:09:42 AM »
I think one of the problems created this year was that you could get in line (online & on the phone) without logging in. This allowed people to login on multiple devices and get several numbers causing the overload to the system.

Let’s be honest, there wasn’t 67k different people attempting to get tags. Everyone of you who refreshed you page and got another number were counted multiple times.

If I remember correctly last year we had to login to get a number in line. Think of how many fewer people would have been in their line if you had to login.
They stated in an email before sales started that you'd only be able to be on one device.  :dunno:

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2022, 08:24:11 AM »
I first started hunting Wyo we could pull G tags with 3 special. It’ll be 9 or maybe 10 this year. Wyoming is not something to emulate  :twocents:

Then pick a new unit to hunt if you want to hunt more often?

I agree Washingtons system sucks and is the worse possible. Besides maybe Idaho now? A state you can’t even buy a tag because their system shutdowns preventing online access.

I think you're missing the point. Having OTC tags in Idaho is unique for non-residents as you pretty much have to draw deer and elk tags in every other western state as a non-resident. There also used to be plenty of units you could draw in WY as a second choice or with zero points, but not anymore. It use to take 10 points to get a primo hunt, but now it gets you a general tag.

In short, the points are making many of these states a once or twice in a lifetime opportunity for most hunters. We don't want or need another broken draw system with points, we just need ID to clean up their current system. People should only be able to buy in person for themselves or wait online like everyone else to see what is available. :twocents:

I would agree Idaho 4 years ago as an over the counter state was ideal. But is it really OTC now?

But I don’t understand I guess why someone would say wyoming or some states are once in a lifetime unless you play the game that way. I go to units that take one point and it’s significantly better hunting than anything I have done in washington. If Idaho went to A similar draw I would happily hunt it every few years as well.

The general unit we used to hunt in Wyoming could be had as a second choice for the longest time. 5 years ago you could reliably draw it on zero points. Now it is about to be a 3 point hunt this year, even though applications for said unit are down 50% over what they were 5 years ago. If you can't see the trend that is happening across the board in Wyoming then you're not looking very hard. Sure, you might have a unit you enjoy hunting every couple years right now but it won't stay that way for much longer. Enjoy it while you can I guess, but thinking that points would fix anything in Idaho is a pipe dream. Another thing to consider is there were 67,000 people trying for Idaho tags as opposed to Wyoming's 127,000 deer point holders and 149,000 elk point holders. Want to clog up a system for everybody, implement preference points. It's giving up a whole lot of opportunity for a little predictability :twocents:

I guess my point is sure you have to wait a few years to hunt wyoming. But if Idaho had the same system and montana had the same system then you would still be hunting every year just in a different state. To me this would be ideal. Hunt out of state every year easily and conveniently planned years in advance. Not this apply and hope or not be able to apply at all. I don’t need to hunt Idaho every year. But I would like to mix it up every few years with a closer Idaho hunt. A simple point system would make this much easier.  Currently I just hunt Washington on non out of state years. Luckily we have a lot of real over the counter options and a ton of bears.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2022, 08:32:07 AM »

They stated in an email before sales started that you'd only be able to be on one device.  :dunno:

That is not the way it went down though. Everyone received a place in line and they didn’t have to login until their number was called. I was standing in line and the guy in front of me had a number on his phone and one on his tablet plus he was in line at a vendor.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2022, 11:28:17 AM »
Dilleytech, I respectfully disagree and think you're comparing apples and oranges.  Montana use to be a guaranteed draw every year whereas now you can generally draw it every two years. I know guys who haven't drawn it in the last two years though because even a simple draw system is subject to point creep. Idaho would be similar and the point creep would eventually make some of the more desirable tags unobtainable to most.

Draw systems with points are not the answer or solution, rather getting rid of the loopholes in their current system is imho. If you're going to make people go into a virtual lobby, then don't sell tags over the phone, in person or allow others to login for their group after buying their tag. They should also establish different days for deer and elk sales to reduce traffic on their website and minimize the risk of crashing like it did this year. :twocents:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2022, 11:36:58 AM »
Dilleytech, I respectfully disagree and think you're comparing apples and oranges.  Montana use to be a guaranteed draw every year whereas now you can generally draw it every two years. I know guys who haven't drawn it in the last two years though because even a simple draw system is subject to point creep. Idaho would be similar and the point creep would eventually make some of the more desirable tags unobtainable to most.

Draw systems with points are not the answer or solution, rather getting rid of the loopholes in their current system is imho. If you're going to make people go into a virtual lobby, then don't sell tags over the phone, in person or allow others to login for their group after buying their tag. They should also establish different days for deer and elk sales to reduce traffic on their website and minimize the risk of crashing like it did this year. :twocents:

A side benefit, in my opinion, of splitting days between deer and elk is it gives guys who drew a bad number on one a chance to draw a good number on the other. Currently, you draw a good number and you can buy a higher quality tag for both species.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2022, 11:46:10 AM »
Even without changes to the system I think folks will find it easy to get NR Idaho tags in the not-too-distant future...when they double, triple, quadruple current NR prices there will be a period where hunters can pick up tags for most units on the drive over to hunt. 

Clearly, western hunting tag demand has not hit any price resistance and it's a continuous cycle of keeping up with the neighbors pricing.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2022, 11:54:34 AM »
I've stopped spending money on out of state licenses/applications/tags.  I was spending far too much money applying in 5-8 states every year and accumulating points that are not as useful with the point creep everywhere.  With Idaho being so difficult lately, I've sat on the sidelines instead of donating license application funds.

My strategy is to save all those dollars per year in out of state applications, and put it towards guided hunting in Canada or elsewhere (with guaranteed tags) every few years.  In net I'll be able to hunt about as much as I was playing the non-resident game.  I'll miss doing DIY hunts, sure.  But this way at least my funds are going towards an actual hunt.  And saves me a bunch of time from playing the non-resident shuffle game.

:twocents:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2022, 01:39:30 PM »
That is not the way it went down though. Everyone received a place in line and they didn’t have to login until their number was called. I was standing in line and the guy in front of me had a number on his phone and one on his tablet plus he was in line at a vendor.

I feel very dumb for NOT being that guy!

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2022, 01:55:48 PM »
Once the economy really crashes in the next year or two tags will be more readily available because there will be a lot fewer people with extra money for out of state hunting.

Offline Apples

• Hunter
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Once the economy really crashes in the next year or two tags will be more readily available because there will be a lot fewer people with extra money for out of state hunting.

And once gas is 5$ a gallon no one will want to drive 1000 miles to go hunt.. oh wait..  :chuckle:

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2022, 06:12:40 PM »
I thought we would see a decline in demand this year with gas and groceries doubling. I wonder how many people just put it on the card and worry about it later. Maybe next year will be the fall off
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »
The dumbest thing any of us can do is push for a draw. Idaho has already hinted at points systems, also known as " loss of accountability ". And the best we could hope is they implement a system with no points, but then you have complete loss of control at least in theory.

One of two things would help greatly, increase tag costs until demand tapers. Or close the vendor loophole. Its a NON resident hunt, if they want to keep that option, then it needs to open them at different times to clean up the process.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal