collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Motor oil question  (Read 4906 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Motor oil question
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »
For home use with one pickup I'm not sure a 55 gallon drum make sense to me unless you drive a whole lot. You can buy Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 at Walmart for about $15 a gallon. I'd do that before I bought a 55 gallon drum for $11 a gallon. Also if you are in a cold climate for the winter running 10w30 would be okay but I doubt it's necessary in Washington state. As far as shelf life looks like lost everything says it has a 5 year date but I'm not sure that's not a selling practice vs a actual oil goes bad thing.

Beat me to it. Just way easier to use and handle. Ive done 5 gallon buckets before and gone back to gallon jugs. Delvac is great diesel oil. As is Rotella. Most brands in the corect weight and rating will be just fine for what you want.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 08:31:47 AM »
They also offer, or used to, 16s if you want to compromise a little.   I don’t know if the savings is worth it.   Rotella

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 08:44:06 AM »
Not sure if it is related to shelf life, but I have read that some of the added components can settle out over time, which means disturbing the contents of the container some to get them back into suspension.
As others have stated, make sure the oil matches the manufacturer required oil.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 08:51:00 AM »
This is all great info....

I picked up a couple of oil filters and fuel filters at napa the other day so i have at least two changes worth of supplies on hand.

I understand the 6.4 engine is prone to getting diesel on the oil due to emissions equipment and that I should plan on changes every 3k miles with fuel filters every 6k.  Does that sound right?

Good idea on the 5 or 16 gallon jugs and walmart sales.   I do have forks for the tractor so that would help with the 55 gallon drums but it is a lot of hassel.  Much better plan.

Regarding oil weight, 15w40 is recomended for heavy towing in my manual.  I don't do that in the winter and in the Idaho panhandle winters are cold so 10W/40 seems like a better range-currently it is 12 outside and we wont be above freezing for the next week it appears.  Manual photo attached.  I am thinking 10w40 for Nov-Mar and 15w40 for the rest of the year.  Does that seem like a good plan?
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 08:53:55 AM »
Makes sense on the additives - and stirring a 55 gallon drum might be difficult!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 09:09:27 AM »
Interesting.  My dad never mixed up with the weights in his Ford diesel.  Always ran 15-40 in Twisp.  That’s. Minus 30 to 120 in temp. Hmmmm

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2022, 10:06:22 AM »
Personally I would just stick with the 15-40 but thats me. Especially if you plug in your block heater.

A note on Napa, Wix filters. I think the oil filters are great. A lot of the fuel filters are plastic and I wont run them. They have been prone to issues at least for my Duramax application.

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 10:15:23 AM »
From the chart it looks like you could run 5w-40 year round. Or you could do 15w-40 year round if you have a coolant heater. Just keep it plugged in at night. You might be splitting hairs with all this. Whatever oil that meets the manufacturer’s rating is what you want to use. There is a CPI rating such as CJ-4 or CK-4. It will tell you in the owners manual. As far as brand there’s a lot to choose from. I try to stick to the top names. Although on a lot of off brands at the bottom of the jug it will say distributed by a big name manufacturer. I always stayed away from pennzoil. I’ve seen to many diesel engines with sludge in the top end. Mobil, Chevron Delo 400 or She’ll will be more than good.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 10:30:33 AM »
I'll run manufacturers suggestion in newer cars and trucks.
Synthetic and all that.
I also run diesel oil in in older rigs,like 2000 and older.
Like my 90's chevy truck ,diesel oil.
ATV.......diesel oil.
Lawn mower .......diesel oil....
Oil is oil and some oil is better than no oil.
Back in the day
It was alway 10/40 in winter
20/50 in the summer.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »
Keep in mind there are different formulations of 10-30,5-40 etc for gas vs diesels. Shell Rotella T6 5-40 or a 10-30 diesel formula is far different than something for a gas engine. Brand has no bearing if you change in regular intervals as some of the off brand stuff is manufactured by a major & rebranded. 1/4 drum are not available in 15/40 anymore & pails are unhandy imo. If you have a distributor in your area you may be able to save a few bucks having your own containers filled from their bulk storage otherwise Costco is probably your Best Buy. :twocents:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 11:56:14 AM »
I work for a Ford dealer service department with a pretty high volume of diesel trucks coming through our service department. I’m not a technician and I’m not trained in anything mechanical at all. I can only tell you what I’ve seen.
I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anyone change oil in a diesel truck every 3k miles.
I’m 100% positive that I’ve never seen or heard any of my diesel techs recommend 6k fuel filters. You’ll go broke buying fuel filters at that rate. My lead diesel guy owns a totally stock unmolested 6.0 liter and he does fuel filters on his every 10k.
6.4’s are pretty few and far between these days through the service department. Lots of 6.7’s and a few 6.0’s and 7.3’s. Hardly ever see a 6.4.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »
I work for a Ford dealer service department with a pretty high volume of diesel trucks coming through our service department. I’m not a technician and I’m not trained in anything mechanical at all. I can only tell you what I’ve seen.
I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anyone change oil in a diesel truck every 3k miles.
I’m 100% positive that I’ve never seen or heard any of my diesel techs recommend 6k fuel filters. You’ll go broke buying fuel filters at that rate. My lead diesel guy owns a totally stock unmolested 6.0 liter and he does fuel filters on his every 10k.
6.4’s are pretty few and far between these days through the service department. Lots of 6.7’s and a few 6.0’s and 7.3’s. Hardly ever see a 6.4.

So, slight thread jack, but what interval do your diesel guys change their own oil at?

I think I'm far too conservative. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 01:28:04 PM »

So, slight thread jack, but what interval do your diesel guys change their own oil at?

5k oil and fuel filter. The only reason I do the fuel filter at 5k is it takes about 30 seconds and they cost like 9$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 01:57:59 PM »
Last diesel I had was an 04 6.0L and I usually went right around 5K on oil/filter changes.  Always used Valvoline Premium Blue oil and NAPA Gold filters for oil and fuel.  If I went much over 5K on oil changes the cap on the oil filter would start to leak a tiny bit.  I don't recall how often I changed the fuel filters but I'm sure I didn't do it nearly as often as I should have because in almost 100k I only remember doing it three maybe four times at the most.  Other than EGR cooler, never had a single issue with mine and I had the Edge w/Juice controller on it.  Sold it to a family member that ran it another five or six years before they sold it to someone else.  One of the best trucks I ever owned.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2022, 02:06:44 PM »

Probably 5k miles I assume. Motorcraft parts. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand