collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote Attacks Girl  (Read 2275 times)

Offline UrbanTrapper

• Life Member: NRA, SCI, DSC, NTA, WSTA, ITA, ATA
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WWC, HHC, NTA, WSTA
Coyote Attacks Girl
« on: December 03, 2022, 10:13:30 PM »
This is what happens when predator populations are not managed through hunting and trapping.  I bet this girl's mom NOW thinks that trapping and coyote calling contests are good ideas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/video/mother-speaks-out-after-two-year-old-woodland-hills-girl-recovering-after-being-attacked-by-coyote-i/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:26:34 PM by UrbanTrapper »

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
Re: Coyote Attacks Girl
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 05:10:07 AM »
On stand-by with dart rifles...what a relief! So obvious it hurts...sportsmen/hunters/trappers need to be apart of predator control.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Smokeploe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: FTE, shooterforum
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 06:41:04 AM »
Somehow or another way the anti-hunters and such will blame the hunters for this unfortunate attack!  They will probably say that the hunters drove this poor coyote out of the hills by hunting it! 
That it attacked the girl because it could not get it meal by driven out of the wilds hunger.  Yes it most likely was because of too many competing for food!  And not being thinned by hunters!  Yes hunter take the blame for all wildlife problems because it is easy, not by looking for the truth as to why there was a wildlife problem.  And 99% of most wildlife problems are done by these anti-hunting, tree hugging do gooders that don’t know *censored* about wildlife and what goes on out there in the woods!   Sorry for the rant but stupidity is getting TOO MUCH.

Smokeploe
Smokeploe

When guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns!
The same with ammo!
The same with personal liberties

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 08:27:50 AM »
I was driving through Missoula Mt at about midnight and there was a Yote just cruising along down the sidewalk seemingly without a care in the world back in the 80's. They can be pretty bold at times. Never seen a wolf do that though. That would be a whole different thing.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 08:33:38 AM »
I was driving through Missoula Mt at about midnight and there was a Yote just cruising along down the sidewalk seemingly without a care in the world back in the 80's. They can be pretty bold at times. Never seen a wolf do that though. That would be a whole different thing.

We'll get there, in time.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 08:59:37 AM »
The problem is that the “experts” that the government is employing are spreading the narrative that predator hunting is not an effective way of controlling predators.

I couldn’t believe it this year when I put my kid through hunter education and the curriculum stated predator hunting is not an effective way to manage predators. How do you manage predators if not through hunting?  Do you just wait for prey populations to drop, obviously children can be considered prey to predators according to this video.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 09:42:41 AM »
The problem is that the “experts” that the government is employing are spreading the narrative that predator hunting is not an effective way of controlling predators.

I couldn’t believe it this year when I put my kid through hunter education and the curriculum stated predator hunting is not an effective way to manage predators. How do you manage predators if not through hunting?  Do you just wait for prey populations to drop, obviously children can be considered prey to predators according to this video.

They're right, I been saying it for years.  Hunting alone will not make a dent in overall predator pressures on herds.

You can kill predators and make a small "bubble" with fewer predators, as I've done around my place using bait, night vision and driveway alert monitors, but that bubble will collapse and backfill with coyotes very quickly if not maintained constantly year after year.  I have yotes again on my place I've been allowing to live for prime fur.   (Sold all my livestock)

In the big picture though, no.  Hunting predators under our current rules will not make any notable difference.  People would have to put a much bigger effort on filling tags and wacking yotes, most hunters just do deer season, or elk season then hang it up the rest of the year, they might pack a rifle around scouting....but they're not out there night after night stacking yotes, filling both bear tags and lion tags.   

Offline Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
From ‘79 through about ‘90 I took a good number of coyotes for fur. I always figured I took 30% of my total through hunting. The rest by traps or snares. Looking back, I probably would have killed more if I’d spent a little less time calling, and spent more time checking more traps. Therefore my percent of shot coyotes would have been lower.
Through the 90s early 2000s I had a contract with WDFW to kill coyotes in a roughly 20 square mile area. All open shrub-steppe habitat. My goal was to kill them all. I came close at times for brief periods of time but never actually got there. Again my data showed I took 30% of my total through hunting. Calling, baits, and opportunity. The rest by traps and snares. When trapping was outlawed I couldn’t use snares anymore. Plus I had to switch out to, at the time, inferior rubber jawed traps. My tool box changed and my percentage of shot coyotes went up. Through nessesity. It got one on one personal then.
Again, this was in open sage country. In the timber and brush you could not even dent coyote or wolf numbers by shooting alone. The state wouldn’t be able to shoot wolves in the timber if they didn’t have a Judas wolf collared in the pack.
With high fuel costs, low price for coyote fur, and a limited toolbox the private sector can not control coyote numbers in this state.
Shooting can control an individual, you can’t control the canine predator population without traps and snares.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
 :yeah: and california is probably the worst for predator management.
Go hawks

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 01:35:23 PM »
So he throws a rock at it? My "rock" would have weighed 200 grains and comes in a box marked Speer Gold Dots.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]