collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recommendations for a winch?  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Recommendations for a winch?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2022, 08:43:29 AM »
I can see that.

Interesting clip about a guy killed when a drop hitch failed and came thru his front window

(Sorry for the thread hijack)
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »
Little chart for rigging.

Nice chart - just remember your hookup point may see 4 times the winch rating on some of those - ie 48,000# for a 12k winch.   Make anchor on a tree with a big strap or rope shackle not a 10k rated towhook or hitch ball !

Online Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 08:06:01 PM »
I can see that.

Interesting clip about a guy killed when a drop hitch failed and came thru his front window

(Sorry for the thread hijack)
This was ugly, I remember reading this and the guys family was in the rig when he was killed. Sad story for sure.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 09:33:36 PM »
Sad

A weighted Matt or two on the line may have prevented that.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2022, 06:17:33 AM »
Pretty sad deal. I had a 2" ball break off and come through my windshield when I was younger and dumber! Scared the hell out of me!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2022, 06:41:39 AM »
I never thought about those safety bags but a piece of chain I would think will work?     On a different note, have you guys checked out MOVE bumpers?  They are pretty neat looking and made for hiding winch's.  Since I cant seem to find out if my stock bumper will work, might have to buy a bumper first, then save more for a winch later. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Dirty Mike

• Longhunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2022, 07:47:02 AM »
I have a 2005 gmc 3500 crew, truck weighs currently 8400. I've had a badlands 12k winch on it since 2018. Mounted to a portable winch basket. I can't say enough good things about it, saved my butt numerous times on my 2019 moose hunt. Wireless remote is awesome I always keep cabled remote with me as backup. Still need to wire back of truck so I can move front to rear. Also it's sat on my truck every day since I got it in the rain and snow and sun and keeps going

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2022, 08:04:23 AM »
Something like this?

“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Dirty Mike

• Longhunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2022, 09:40:47 AM »
Something like this?

Kinda but a basket with side handles. Make sure its rated for your winch

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2022, 09:58:11 AM »
That one in your picture from Amazon is for atvs. They say it’ll work for a pickup but hey just mean it’ll fit in the hitch. The cradle mounts like Mike Marker makes are nice, but a lot of them are built pretty light, too. Lots of them only use 1/8” wall tubing, which will bend if you’re pulling at a sharp angle. I know because a bunch of my friends tried cradle mounts & all of them bent. And they’re expensive for what they are. I’m going to buy the steel, mock it up how I want it & then take it to get welded. Will be super strong & cheaper. Keep in mind that front hitches- that I’ve seen, anyway- are only rated for 5,000 lbs, a lot less than your truck. If you’re pulling from the side, it might bend.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2022, 10:21:07 AM »
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2022, 12:02:08 PM »
 I have a VR12 with syn rope on a Super Duty diesel. Not a stock bumper, however. Buy big enough to handle your rig and the added forces from friction (mud and snow) and the reduced power from line spool.

This video sold me on line dampner bags: https://www.google.com/search?q=winch+safety+blanket&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS705US705&oq=winch+safety+&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i512l6j69i65.4223j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fc576d56,vid:gPba-34ARZY

This will help you understand what your real pulling power and speeds are:  https://www.roundforge.com/winch-database/weight/10000-lb-winches/ or https://www.roundforge.com/winch-database/weight/12000-lb-winches/

Factor55's destructive testing helped me decide that closed loop recovery was the way to go and to buy quality, rated recovery products:  https://factor55.com/uncategorized/destructive-testing-real-proof-real-results/

I use a TRE thimble (no hook) and carry 3 snatch blocks, two tree savers, extra chain and a dynamic strap, along with 5 shackles.

Splicing syn rope is easy, so don't be concerned that you haven't learned, yet.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5TTVKG/?coliid=I2KOONKJP5W5HQ&colid=1PF41YB8WHSPU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

this is the one I am looking at.  Rated to 15K lbs

I've used one of those a few times, on an F-350 that was buried deep in the mud  (not my truck!)

They'll work, but if you're good and stuck I think they can cause damage to your frame if you're really winching sideways.  There's a lot of leverage on the stubs of your frame rails moving the winch out a couple feet.   The cradle bent a little bit too

So I'd be cautious using a winch on a cradle, but they are versatile. 

what else you can do is carry the winch up to the trees and anchor the cradle to a tree and carry a battery up to it, put a block on your truck then run it back up to the same tree or a different tree depending on the angles you want to pull.  weld some anchor points on the backside of your cradle

oh that amazon cradle looks very weak, go to north 40 they had some good ones in there, I want to get one for my gooseneck so I can winch things up onto it

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2022, 04:27:16 PM »
Good reminder that Stretch straps need strong anchor points !   Especially when pulling  stretch and yank with another vehicle as intended.  See so many 40k to 50k ropes now that will easily break off tow hooks and hitch balls.   

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2022, 04:32:55 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5TTVKG/?coliid=I2KOONKJP5W5HQ&colid=1PF41YB8WHSPU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

this is the one I am looking at.  Rated to 15K lbs

I've used one of those a few times, on an F-350 that was buried deep in the mud  (not my truck!)

They'll work, but if you're good and stuck I think they can cause damage to your frame if you're really winching sideways.  There's a lot of leverage on the stubs of your frame rails moving the winch out a couple feet.   The cradle bent a little bit too

So I'd be cautious using a winch on a cradle, but they are versatile. 

what else you can do is carry the winch up to the trees and anchor the cradle to a tree and carry a battery up to it, put a block on your truck then run it back up to the same tree or a different tree depending on the angles you want to pull.  weld some anchor points on the backside of your cradle

oh that amazon cradle looks very weak, go to north 40 they had some good ones in there, I want to get one for my gooseneck so I can winch things up onto it

I will check North40 out.  I was toying with seeing if I could fit some cross bracing in on the front hitch for sideways tweaking.  I should have it installed in early Jan. So I can see what things look like.
  - Chris Ledoux

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal