collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: pellet smoker  (Read 1585 times)

Offline carvermoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
pellet smoker
« on: December 06, 2022, 05:01:48 PM »
Does any have a camp chef woodwind  24 or 36 in. If so what is your opinion. I have a green mountain and love it. Buying another for a second home , I like the clean out system. thanks

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: pellet smoker
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
I have a 24 and we love it so much that we hardly cook with our oven anymore. That grill puts in work! I do like the clean out butt it was very stiff for the first 8-10 times I used it. Then it freed up. I highly recommend one.

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:36:45 PM »
I have a 36" wifi and an older 24".  Absolutely love them.  The 36 wifi is so dang nice with the ability to control smoke and temp even when I am not there.  I don't have to babysit it so I can run into town if I need to.  We intended to sell the 24 after the 36 arrived but we still use both occasionally when we have big gatherings so I am not sure if we are going to or not.  Love, love, love the ash cleanout system and we have had very consistent smokes on both.
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »
Camp Chef is the way to go, hands down.  The app/bluetooth thing is gimicky in my opinion but the operation and especially cleanout is night and day different since CC has the patent on the ash dump.  Other brands you have to take it apart and vacuum out after every 1-2 cooks which would make me want to throw it in the lake.  I usually clean maybe once a year.

My only complaint is I can't get mine to smoke.  I added a smoke generator which wasn't cheap but I can now cold smoke at ambient temp which is awesome for gravlox, cheese and several other charcuterie items.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 08:45:46 PM »
Owned a Traeger for 15+ yrs and it was ok.  Bought a Recteq two years ago and it is freaking amazing.  I got "The Bull", it smokes great, gets steak searing hot, and just overall blows the Traeger out of the water with quality.

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 08:49:29 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 08:51:24 PM »
Camp Chef is the way to go, hands down.  The app/bluetooth thing is gimicky in my opinion but the operation and especially cleanout is night and day different since CC has the patent on the ash dump.  Other brands you have to take it apart and vacuum out after every 1-2 cooks which would make me want to throw it in the lake.  I usually clean maybe once a year.

My only complaint is I can't get mine to smoke.  I added a smoke generator which wasn't cheap but I can now cold smoke at ambient temp which is awesome for gravlox, cheese and several other charcuterie items.

@Stein   Which one do you have?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 08:57:08 PM »
Not sure, the 24" model for sure though.  Maybe the SG or DLX?  I bought it on mega sale at the beginning of the pandemic and upgraded it to the newest digital controller and added the propane bbq side box attachment.  Pretty much the perfect machine for our needs although I do need to add a blanket thing for cold weather use.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 09:15:33 PM »
Highly recommended. Originally a Camp Chef DLX 24 owner. Gave that to my brother after a few years for bday present and bought the 36 woodwind. Very happy and the large space is so much nicer.

I like the wifi controls and huge hopper. Will get 12 to 14 hours on 225 without looking at it. Also has a low pellet alarm. And the smoke control is cool. Haven't had much success or really tried their direct flame sear. I usually just finish on a cast iron skillet or broil for big stuff, and use their sidekick sear that hooks up to propane. I'd highly recommend that.

Temperatures over the entire grill are fine. Get some variability. I run 4 probes around and get 10 to 15 degree difference at times. I just got the blanket for it to see if that does anything.

Overall temperature control is good though. Haven't noticed huge swings.

Havent had flame outs, but I rarely run it like a BBQ, above 300+.

App shows you temperature history which is nice to see in a graph to battle the stall.

Clean out is easy. Vaccum it out after every othet 20 pound bag of pellets. Unfortunately it's foreign, and with that comes some flaking of paint on the inside, but I've kept mine outside now for 2 years with their cover and no rust or issues with electronics, knock on wood.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]