collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I've had it with WA elk  (Read 8199 times)

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: I've had it with WA elk
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2022, 09:59:37 PM »
All true,I live within miles of elk .A couple days ago I went for a look see and saw 20 or so head,Yesterday i saw about 50 head. Total of 8 spikes and 15 raghorns mixed in. Today I tracked them just to see where they were going,really coyote hunting.lol So i now know where they came from and where they went,looking through my Binos at a distance. Just saying if you dont take the off time it harder to know what they do and when they do..The all were feeding and resting ,then went into steep drainages.later.
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2022, 11:06:14 AM »
Out of curiosity, how many people here agree that if you're going 1-2 years without being full draw on an elk that you're doing something wrong? From my limited understanding of elk in WA, (including the oft stated line of "it takes WA hunters 8 years on average to get their first elk") the vast majority of elk hunters do not harvest. I have a hard time believing that it's an easy adjustment to be full draw on elk year after year.

If you’re actually hunting hard say 3+ days you should at least be getting a chance at an elk. I think guys who hunt hard are more successful than people think. The harvest odds include the people who don’t get out of their truck or off their couch. My wife killed an elk in the first 10 minutes she ever elk hunted while solo. But she hunts harder than most people. But most people don’t hunt hard.

Personally I think the easiest way to kill elk is to find out how to hunt the elk that are closest to you. We kill our elk within 20 minutes of home.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2022, 06:50:26 PM »
The best game unit for elk hunting is the one you know.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2023, 07:02:12 PM »
Some good advice on here. I agree with hunting the best spot you have that is the closest and you enjoy spending time in. Everybody always says get out there and scout!!! Year around. I disagree- get out there and hunt!!! Year around. You could be coyote, bobcat and lion hunting right now I assume. I don’t really hunt hard anymore but I am in the woods hunting year around. I ran into a young guy on the stairclimber with a pack and a 45 lb weight on. He said he was getting in shape for next season- I asked him why doesn’t he just go hunting right now 😂. We have 4 different predator seasons open right now in Idaho. I stay in shape for hunting by hunting. I scout my hunting spots by hunting them. Add predators to your menu and you will learn your area, hone your hunting skills and help save a few elk and deer. I know my hunting spots like my backyard and it makes a HUGE difference. The social media and hunting fool tag services etc have given us all fomo and the grass is definitely not always greener on the other side. If it was me I would trade your bow for a muzzleloader if you want a primitive season or a rifle. I grew up with a grandpa, dad and brothers that all hunted so I have been hunting over 40 years. I still struggle with my bow honestly during archery I need to be at full draw many times before I actually get one. I focused on archery elk for many years and was harvesting most years. I slowed down a little and decided to do the rifle and forgot how much easier it was. At least for me a bow kill is just a lot more complicated.

Offline robescc

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2023, 10:52:01 PM »
Take a look at Oregon. It took me a couple of years to figure it out when I lived there but I consistently killed elk. I finally cashed in 8 points last season and killed a nice 6x6 in a unit I have never hunted. I got him opening morning but put in five days of scouting and lots of miles on my feet before the opener.
You can draw a tag with no points in a few units but it will take work. I have gotten spikes in the Walla Walla unit and a few cows in the Chesnimnus unit.
Elk hunting is a science. Once you learn how to hunt them, you will find them and be successful. Hunt where the elk are, not were you think they are.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline KDB

• Hunter
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
Remember !!Washington State is the 2nd most populus state, smallest western state and has the least amount of public land of any western state.  But the hunting can be good if you put in the work.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2023, 07:01:14 PM »
Hunting aint for everyone, maybe try golf
Go hawks

Online highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2023, 08:38:24 PM »
Hunting aint for everyone, maybe try golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2023, 05:58:06 AM »
Just remember everyone you talk to from back country hunters to road hunters think they hunt harder than anyone they know just ask them. The ones that are successful, keep their mouths zipped and don't pat themselves on the back are the ones you want buddy up to. Chances are they aren't ego maniacs. IMO
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2023, 06:20:09 AM »
I've never shot an Elk.
But I'll keep trying.
Seems like a game of chess.
Sometimes like chasing a ghost that leaves tracks.
Every time I think I know where there at,I show up to find another Elk hunter already there.
Every year I like to think I'm close,reality probably not.
Got them on game cam every year some where.
I'll just keep trying,gotta buy the tag anyway.
So might as well.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2023, 09:50:38 AM »
I've never shot an Elk.
But I'll keep trying.
Seems like a game of chess.
Sometimes like chasing a ghost that leaves tracks.
Every time I think I know where there at,I show up to find another Elk hunter already there.
Every year I like to think I'm close,reality probably not.
Got them on game cam every year some where.
I'll just keep trying,gotta buy the tag anyway.
So might as well.

Cool thing about elk is they are big… even if you kill one every 3 years you shouldn’t have a problem always having elk meat in the freezer. Deer you kinda have to kill ever year. I feel more pressure to kill deer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]