collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commissioner Rowland is gunning for beaver trapping  (Read 6086 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Commissioner Roland is gunning for beaver trapping
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »
Serious issue.  Any attempt to be funny, thus derailing thread in regards to juvenile female remarks will result an instant 3mos minimum ban.  Grow up

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2022, 11:52:48 AM »
Remind her that they are prolific rodents. I think APHIS will freak if there are constraints on trapping, especially wco work. APHIS does not have the capacity to fill the necessary void if the wco workforce are handcuffed.  On the flip side I think this could expose the extreme and whacky agendas to to general public.  When society is impacted by ill informed policies it may help going forward. The entire state will be impacted by blanket protection of beaver maybe a better case to focus on than predators.  Predators are largely out of sight and mind of most,  beavers will cause mass destruction statewide.
im glad you’re speaking up on this issue you and I both know what would/does happen when beavers get in a area especially a urban area
It would be interesting to see. I'm not sure any demographic urban/suburban/rural/ag would not be impacted. I do appreciate where beavers have a positive impact on ecological health, but I also realize they are managed. Absent management with 7.5+ million residents it could be what's needed to daylight extremes. My mind goes from urban to rural to awe inspiring localized flooding. The architect doesn't conduct EA's prior to construction. 

Offline salmosalar

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »
But what about the Orca's!
Every time a beaver dams up a spawning creek, no more salmon run there
When I was growing up, Quilceda creek ran along side and across the back of the property
Lots of beavers around
Every spring the WDFW would show up with a truckload of dynamite and blow all the dams sky high
Now that the Tulalips have their own hatchery, the whole area is a permanent flood plain

Beavers tend to create excellent coho habitat. I don't think that they have much of an effect of the movement of chinook. The orca's are all about chinook. Probably not the best tree to bark up.

Beavers are really tough on homeowners in some parts of he west side. In it's natural state, it seems like the west side was a series of beaver ponds. Of course, it is not in it's natural state. There needs to be management options.

For all you all that see this as a political issue, you may want to look at other ways to effect the political game. I would say that you could lobby the "other side of the isle" or push for candidates in the party that you generally vote for that are more palatable to the majority in their districts. I am from the Northeast. Republicans can and do get elected as governors there. Mass has a very popular republican governor. in Charlie Baker. New Hampshire has Chris Sununu. Neither behave at all like Loren Culp.

I'm just trying to offer a different perspective. You can only control what you control. The R's control their candidates. The candidates that they run on for governor tend to get walloped. Whether you like Culp or not, candidates like him have exactly 0% chance of winning a statewide election.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2022, 12:17:52 PM »
Several things pop up to her/it Roland’s questions
1- how do you count a beaver population
2- to find out how many trappers there are ? Just look in your own computer!!!
   How many are caught for fur and how many caught for nuisance? Again look on your computer!!
Most of her questions take one minute to look it up

Why are there not beavers in certain areas ? Simple is they can’t survive there naturally whether it’s starving, freezing out , disease or predators ( cougar and bobcat target them )
She’s a clueless twit that shouldn’t be running on a commission

Rant over ……… for now

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2022, 12:32:48 PM »
If you go back through the history of her remarks, this is her MO

The questions and statements she makes aren't genuine fact finding questions she's trying to find answers too, but rather a very thin veneer in which to cover her agenda, which has already predetermined every judgment she'll ever make.

Her little disingenuous questions and remarks sends WDFW off on goose chases trying to answer her nitpicks.

Don't get sucked in, or if you do, realize that its fruitless, she'll immediately pivot to a different nitpick

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »
When I was growing up, Quilceda creek ran along side and across the back of the property
Lots of beavers around
Every spring the WDFW would show up with a truckload of dynamite and blow all the dams sky high
Now that the Tulalips have their own hatchery, the whole area is a permanent flood plain

Beavers tend to create excellent coho habitat. I don't think that they have much of an effect of the movement of chinook. The orca's are all about chinook. Probably not the best tree to bark up.

Beavers are really tough on homeowners in some parts of he west side. In it's natural state, it seems like the west side was a series of beaver ponds. Of course, it is not in it's natural state. There needs to be management options.

For all you all that see this as a political issue, you may want to look at other ways to effect the political game. I would say that you could lobby the "other side of the isle" or push for candidates in the party that you generally vote for that are more palatable to the majority in their districts. I am from the Northeast. Republicans can and do get elected as governors there. Mass has a very popular republican governor. in Charlie Baker. New Hampshire has Chris Sununu. Neither behave at all like Loren Culp.

I'm just trying to offer a different perspective. You can only control what you control. The R's control their candidates. The candidates that they run on for governor tend to get walloped. Whether you like Culp or not, candidates like him have exactly 0% chance of winning a statewide election.

I guess it depends on how big the dam is?  I've come across a few ponds and the outlet stream is reduced so much that the salmon just group up at the dam. Usually so shallow their fins are out of the water and they can't jump the dam.  But I've also seen small dams on side channels for more substantial rivers that salmon and steelhead do get past.
Kind of like there's a dam height/water level combo that is a barrier.

Offline salmosalar

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »
Lots of beavers around

I guess it depends on how big the dam is?  I've come across a few ponds and the outlet stream is reduced so much that the salmon just group up at the dam. Usually so shallow their fins are out of the water and they can't jump the dam.  But I've also seen small dams on side channels for more substantial rivers that salmon and steelhead do get past.

Due to the requirements chinook have for suitable spawning sites, beavers are unlikely to have a negative effect on them accessing the parts of the basin where they would like to spawn. Simply put Chinook tend to favor mainstem spawning areas that beavers would not be able to block. Fry and smolts would likely be helped by beavers as the habitat they create are excellent for juvenile rearing and the dams provide water storage that is released during low flow periods. Beavers are generally good for salmon.

Beavers are generally awful for residents whose homes are close to streams. They create flooded areas and ponds obviously. They really love to eat and flood CREP plantings. I mean they really are hell on CREP. Maybe what people could do is to contact your local conservation district and see what they think. They may oppose based on the havoc that they reek on CREP plantings. A letter from them would carry more weight with the other commission members. 

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
Re: Commissioner Rowland is gunning for beaver trapping
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »
I spoke against this ban for beaver trapping today at the commission meeting. I would suggest everyone else do the same via email, call or in person. Take the energy used to type in here and focus it toward the commission.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »
If you go back through the history of her remarks, this is her MO

The questions and statements she makes aren't genuine fact finding questions she's trying to find answers too, but rather a very thin veneer in which to cover her agenda, which has already predetermined every judgment she'll ever make.

Her little disingenuous questions and remarks sends WDFW off on goose chases trying to answer her nitpicks.

Don't get sucked in, or if you do, realize that its fruitless, she'll immediately pivot to a different nitpick

:yeah:

She won't believe any answers she gets anyway.   

She denied the Spring Bear data, with zero basis other than her agenda didn't agree with it.

They have found a way to get what they want.  I fear for whats coming.

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2022, 03:48:21 PM »
  I'm at the point of view now were I consider myself a native of this land. I have done these things in the outdoors for my entire life, as did my ancestors. I will not stop because some stupid ass liberal wants me to. I will not stop because some stupid ass liberal says its "illegal now". F those people and their agenda. I will always do what i have always done
I was thinking how to say what you just said, you nailed it!! Call me a poacher when they outlaw hunting, I don’t give two F’s!!!

took the words right out of my mouth

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2022, 03:59:17 PM »
I've already said it before, we can't be having advocating for illegal activities, it's right in there when you signed up for HW,  you promised not to violate the forum rules

I get it though, I surely do!  (but don't say it out loud)

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2022, 04:26:05 PM »
  I'm at the point of view now were I consider myself a native of this land. I have done these things in the outdoors for my entire life, as did my ancestors. I will not stop because some stupid ass liberal wants me to. I will not stop because some stupid ass liberal says its "illegal now". F those people and their agenda. I will always do what i have always done
I was thinking how to say what you just said, you nailed it!! Call me a poacher when they outlaw hunting, I don’t give two F’s!!!

took the words right out of my mouth

I think the term you gentleman are looking for is civil disobedience. Liberals use this tactic frequently, if you can’t beat ‘em join em. Use their tactics against them.

Offline high_hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »
Lots of beavers around

Due to the requirements chinook have for suitable spawning sites, beavers are unlikely to have a negative effect on them accessing the parts of the basin where they would like to spawn. Simply put Chinook tend to favor mainstem spawning areas that beavers would not be able to block. Fry and smolts would likely be helped by beavers as the habitat they create are excellent for juvenile rearing and the dams provide water storage that is released during low flow periods. Beavers are generally good for salmon.

Beavers are generally awful for residents whose homes are close to streams. They create flooded areas and ponds obviously. They really love to eat and flood CREP plantings. I mean they really are hell on CREP. Maybe what people could do is to contact your local conservation district and see what they think. They may oppose based on the havoc that they reek on CREP plantings. A letter from them would carry more weight with the other commission members.

@salmonsalar thanks for the education on fish habitat and know I know what CREP stands for!  Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program  https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/conservation-programs/conservation-reserve-enhancement/index

Definitely would be good to get the opinions and support of other restoration groups like Land Trusts etc about the issues they face with CREP damage from beavers.  Think it may be hard to garner public support from them tho but can try or at least leverage it as a concern/data point in support of continued trapping. 

Looking at the blue sheet link (thanks @ridgeratt) and listening to the commission meeting it is certainly clear she's springboarding off the recent bear momentum and gunnng for beavers/trapping.  Many of the blue sheet questions are easily answered by looking at available WDFW data as others have stated here.  I agree with @KFhunter that its just her way to distract and waste resources.  We should buckle up for this one and grind it out to ensure more opportunity isn't lost in the name of "new science".

-HH
Take one new person out hunting every year.

Contact me for blood tracking needs in the Wa PNW--Skagit, Snohomish, Island, and Whatcom Counties

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »
Part of the problem is 99 percent of people in Washington aren't affected or don't realize they are affected by beaver's so all's they see is a cute cuddly little animal.

There's no way you convince a majority of people to hate beaver. So this one will gain some traction....

This is just a calculated attack on a way of life. They don't care about the beaver, the bear, etc
..They care more about taking away lifestyles....
Baby steps to a bigger goal.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2022, 06:16:29 PM »
So a quick googly search produced a grand total of 715 beavers trapped last year.  Does that include WCO work? 715 seems like a puny fraction of the population.  This woman has to go.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand