collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Public range every National Forest  (Read 1889 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Public range every National Forest
« on: December 09, 2022, 10:25:41 AM »
https://www.swedbank.nl/2022/10/15/this-bill-would-put-a-shooting-range-in-every-national-forest/

I have mixed feelings. I like to go to NF and shoot on my own some. And I like to take my grandkids there when they are starting out.

Public Ranges get crowded.

Many recreational shooters want to rapid fire. And most public ranges don’t allow that.

Once they get a range in every NF , they will shut down all recreational shooting any where outside the range. Which means you might have to drive further to shoot.

:dunno:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Public range every National Forest
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 10:27:35 AM »
Yea not good! Have great 1000 yard spots now that won’t be allowed once a “public” spot gets designated

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 11:38:43 AM »
I can see this going 1 of 2 ways...

What do we think national forest shooting access will look like 50-100 years from now WITHOUT a provision like this?

Its easy to see a liberal administration doing something to limit firearms and/or hunting access in national forest lands and then you'd have no range nor a free place to shoot.

At a minimum, having this could create some kind of institution that is more difficult to remove.  I'm not entirely against it.  I would be more suspicious if a democrat had pitched it.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 01:56:23 PM »
Hopefully the trash, targets and empty brass/ shotshells gets picked up
Its only a matter of time
Access will cost due to slobs
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:06:33 PM »
I would like to see a broader scope, not limiting it to one spot. GPNF for example, is quite large. If they designate one range, what do the people on the other side do, drive three hours to sight in? But, I've cleaned up enough of other peoples' garbage. I hope they figure out the right way to do it and not let the antis figure out how to use it as a restriction.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 02:37:39 PM »
The problem is this law isn't going to stop the idiots that drop off garbage as targets.   That the person promoting the law mentions as the reason why he's writing it.   All it will do is give law enforcement an excuse to limit locations where we can shoot.   

I shoot on public land near my house, and thankfully I know most of the local sheriff's deputies that police the part of the county that I live in, and they are all fine with where I choose to shoot.  They know I always have contractor bags on me and I clean the place up from the fools that leave garbage behind....I shoot often enough that the place stays fairly clean.  LOL.  This new law would make that illegal for me to shoot in that location, which will piss me off as it's nice having a shooting spot so close to my house when working up new load recipes for various guns.   The nearest gun range to me is a heck of a drive.

Just leave it alone.  The law isn't going to fix ignorant slobs from shooting at garbage they leave in the woods.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »
Sounds like Utah has a problem with irresponsible gun owners/shooters. Shooting benches? Unlikely to happen. I read this to mean that each National Forest/BLM District will have at least one designated shooting range. Doesn't say that all other areas of the Forest/District are closed to shooting. When I shoot on public land, I put a tarp down to collect brass and garbage bags to collect the exploded bleach jugs filled with water.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 02:58:06 PM »
Sounds good on a fly by, but Im sure its all about control control control.  Did I mention control ?, they just want to control shooters.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 11:05:22 PM »
Seems like death by 1000 cuts. First they make a range, then the restrict shooting to just the range, then they close down the range for safety issues, fire hazard, ect… and presto. No more shooting in national forests.

Maybe I need a tinfoil hat, but damn government and politicians make me nervous when they propose anything these days. Trust is gone, long gone. Especially when talking Utah politicians.

Is there any examples of such a public range setup working anywhere that has a large population of shooters? The description makes it sound as if it’s a unmanned range facility.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 11:18:27 PM »
Seems like death by 1000 cuts. First they make a range, then the restrict shooting to just the range, then they close down the range for safety issues, fire hazard, ect… and presto. No more shooting in national forests.

Maybe I need a tinfoil hat, but damn government and politicians make me nervous when they propose anything these days. Trust is gone, long gone. Especially when talking Utah politicians.

Is there any examples of such a public range setup working anywhere that has a large population of shooters? The description makes it sound as if it’s a unmanned range facility.

The only one I know is a shooting area near Winthrop on the Wildlife area. Maybe one of those guys over there will chime in.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 05:31:14 AM »
Totally agree there. It's like near me where people think it's ok to shoot above town on the powerlines. Last thing I want to hear is someone shooting for extended time when I am in my front yard. Then to go up there and pick up their trash.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 08:45:44 AM »
One thing I notice when I’m hunting outta state is the amount of ranges! We have crap for ranges around me or very limited distance. Ranges all over in MT, I was on my Utah elk hunt and every city seem to have a range outside of town.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 09:01:30 AM »
Agree the trash is BS
At a spot where I shoot. Got trashed this year.
Instead of using a spotting scope ,I just walked down range to check my shots. Then haul trash back to the truck.
Mostly old targets,water jugs,just shot up trash.

Anyway ,my wife is like.... "What are you doing"
Told her..... "I like to shoot here,any more trash and they will gate or mound this road.
Funny thing ,there was an old Amazon box someone was using for a target ,I put that in the back of truck and filled it.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 09:03:45 AM »
There were public ranges in some of the NF in the south. Pretty scary experience the time I went, and left before even shooting. I almost thought I was dreaming. People on the range setting up targets while others were still shooting. Guys in cars driving back and forth behind the benches shooting over the guys at the benches.  Working on drive by deer hunting techniques. Guys trying to skeet shoot apples with deer rifles. I'm sure crazier things happened when I wasn't there.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »
There were public ranges in some of the NF in the south. Pretty scary experience the time I went, and left before even shooting. I almost thought I was dreaming. People on the range setting up targets while others were still shooting. Guys in cars driving back and forth behind the benches shooting over the guys at the benches.  Working on drive by deer hunting techniques. Guys trying to skeet shoot apples with deer rifles. I'm sure crazier things happened when I wasn't there.
:yike:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU