collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Elk 2023  (Read 24621 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Wyoming Elk 2023
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2023, 04:20:46 PM »
It is going to be a trend as odds decrease due to more residents, they will want to move the nonresident tags into the resident pool and since they are the ones that vote, they will get it.  Even if it's a question of revenue, they will be willing to pay more.

Some states might go faster than others and at different levels, but it's only a matter of time.  Tags will move out of the DIY nonresident pool.

Stein, You have some good points here.  I do think Wyoming is unique in one way compared to other western states.  Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, etc etc are having a huge influx of new residents that are causing the game dept's to take a look at NR opportunities and tag allocations.  In these states I think you will see prices go higher and the number of NR tag opportunities decrease.  Wyoming is unique in that they are not growing in population and staying pretty stagnant at less than 600K total population in a very big state.  For this reason, it is my opinion that 90/10 for deer, antelope, and elk will not come to pass anytime soon if ever at all.  It was just about immediately dismissed by the Task Force.  I can see why they did it for moose and sheep with such small tag quotas but for D/A/E the residents of the state still have unbelievable opportunities to hunt these three species year after year the way the allocations are currently.  It would be like having the state of Washington with no cities in it except Yakima, Tri-Cities, and Walla Walla.  No Spokane, no King County, nothing at all!  On top of that imagine Washington with triple the amount of elk, deer, and additional half million antelope at least and no off-reservation native harvest.  Hard to really comprehend actually. They have so much opportunity as residents in Wyoming that changing the current quotas to 90/10 really wouldn't be that noticeable.   But the loss of revenue due to 90/10 would be big to the States budget.  Just the cost to run a state like that with so few residents would be massive and shared with just the 600K residents would be burdensome.  I do believe the tag costs will increase considerably over the next few years and I mean all of the tags and not just the special.  They are just too valuable in the 49 state market.  They could double all of their tag costs and they would still be overrun with applicants.  Business wise this is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Some guys think this will be the "End of Hunting" and say "Its became a rich mans sport only" but this really isn't true.  It will be a rich mans sport to hunt out of state as a non-resident but everyone has the opportunity to hunt in the state THEY CHOOSE to live in for a reasonable price that doesn't break the bank.  These states can charge what they want for the animals they own that they decide to sell to residents of other states.  The residents of the state own the animals of the state no matter where in that state they reside.  They own the animals on private property, state lands, and federal lands within their state boundaries.  So the arguments that I see by some that the animals are on federal lands and so forth are not valid.  As the prices of the tags go through the roof and the quotas reduced along with all of the massive influx of new applicants arise, you can blame it all on the things you have come to love and use so much: Social media, the internet, OnX, HuntingPhool, GoHunt, Randy Newberg, Youtube, hunting TV, etc etc.....  If you were the kind of guy that hunted hard 10 or more years ago and did all of your own sweat and blood research, scouting, landowner PR, and so forth, you have seen what you loved go to Hell and a Hand-basket.  They have glorified the resource along with spoon-feeding the dummies. These two things have just about ruined western hunting.
well crap, I’m so depressed now!     :chuckle:  Actually , it is depressing, no more group hunts out of state, the younger generation will miss out.  Only the rich will be able to afford it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2023, 08:01:10 AM »
Counting down the hours until the waiting game begins. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2023, 06:19:50 PM »
In it to win it!!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2023, 06:44:41 PM »
Deadline is tomorrow guys!!! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2023, 07:44:06 PM »
deadline is past.   :dunno: :chuckle:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2023, 01:11:54 PM »
I waited until Monday night and confirmed they got my money Tuesday morning. I threw my 7 points at the General hunt and will get the archery license upon a successful draw. We'll see if the creep turns into full throttle. Last year 4 points was 100% for General. Now the 4+ month wait.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2023, 01:47:06 PM »
I waited until Monday night and confirmed they got my money Tuesday morning. I threw my 7 points at the General hunt and will get the archery license upon a successful draw. We'll see if the creep turns into full throttle. Last year 4 points was 100% for General. Now the 4+ month wait.

I talked to an outfitter in the general area who is pretty plugged in both with the state and other local guides and he said the point jump is being overblown, from what he's hearing he said it'll probably stay at 4 points for the general and worst case jump to 5. Don't deapair

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2023, 01:52:41 PM »

I was on the road Monday going to a job when I got a message from my son (overseas) ready to join the party app.  Had to phone home to get a screenshot of receipt with party info.  Called WGF in the meantime.  A lot of time spent on side of the road messaging and coordinating.  Checked Tuesday morning to confirm it all went thru.  Missed an evening dinner date due to lost time for a Hail Mary shot at a WY hunt.  I've already authorized the archery upgrade to make 2 month season an option.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2023, 05:01:15 PM »
I hope it pans out
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2023, 06:17:30 PM »
In with 3 points in the special for general. I have 5 but brother has 1. I want him to come so rolling the dice. Next year I might just cash in on a general if we don’t draw this year.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2023, 07:25:42 PM »
In with 3 points in the special for general. I have 5 but brother has 1. I want him to come so rolling the dice. Next year I might just cash in on a general if we don’t draw this year.
If you don’t have enough points in the draw, you have over a 10% chance of drawing in the random.
Zonk Volmer

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2023, 08:14:05 AM »
After all the back and forth, I ended up not going in for Wyoming elk. Not too happy about it but it is what it is. Hoping to draw montana deer and elk to make up for it
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2023, 08:23:20 AM »
Well my odds just went up :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2023, 08:27:19 AM »
Well my odds just went up :chuckle:

Better start making plans because its pretty much a done deal now that we are out
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2023, 08:55:54 AM »
I’m in with 10 pts.  I hate elk hunting.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]