collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back from the eastside  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Back from the eastside
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:21:05 AM »
Overall a good trip.  We got over there and i started to take pictures of muleys to find out i left my memory card in the computer at home.  Lots of birds but not very many responders.  Only pics of the bird is from when i got home.  Pretty disappointed about no field pics.  Thinking about heading back over there in a few weeks.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Back from the eastside
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:47:32 AM »
Should get nothing but better as the season wears on and the hens begin to nest.  Them gobblers get awful lonely, you'll need to tone down your calling later on in the season.  Lots of guys still run and gun and cutt up a storm.  But if you listen to the real hens they usually call much softer.  You can still get a bird fired up in the late season, but the older gobblers have had a lot thrown at them and are very wary by the first of May.  Good luck!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:56:13 PM »
Congrats. Good luck next week. (and try to get some field pics)lol

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
April 6, 2020
Media information: publicaffairs@dfw.wa.gov
Fishing information: fishpgm@dfw.wa.gov
Hunting information: wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
Fishing, shellfish harvesting, and some hunting postponed
WDFW acts to protect Washington communities from the spread of COVID-19
OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced that recreational fishing, shellfish harvesting and spring turkey and bear hunting seasons will be delayed in an effort to control the spread of COVID-19.
The decision follows a Friday announcement that all state land and boat ramp closures would extend to May 4, 2020 to coincide with Gov. Jay Inslee's extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
WDFW expects most recreation activities to remain closed through the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order. The department will reevaluate specific hunting, fishing, shellfish harvesting, public land, and boat ramp closures as new information becomes available from public health officials.
"Local public health authorities have relayed to us their concerns regarding the risk that hunting, fishing and recreational travel poses to their communities right now," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "With the support of the Governor's office we're asking people to put their recreation plans on pause while we work together to get this situation under control."
Director Susewind noted that some individuals may be able to enjoy these activities without risky interactions, but many cannot. He asks everyone to be patient for the health of all Washingtonians.
These newly extended closures include all recreational fishing and shellfish harvesting, whether on public or private lands, and the spring bear hunts that would have started on April 1 as well as the April 4 and 5 youth turkey hunt. In addition, the department will postpone the spring bear and turkey season opening days, which were previously scheduled to open on April 15. The department made the closure decisions after consulting with local health departments.
While some recreational fishing opportunities exist year-round, the lowland lakes trout season opener, previously scheduled for April 25, is one of the most celebrated angling days of the year. The recreational halibut seasons scheduled to open on April 16 in Marine Areas 6-10 and Areas 1-5 on April 30 will be delayed. Recreational harvesting of spot shrimp in Marine Areas 5-7 and 12 will also be delayed. When fishing seasons do open, anglers should be prepared to practice proper social distancing and avoid the gatherings that characteristically define opening day for so many.
A number of April razor clam digs are cancelled, though the department will assess the ability for razor clamming and other shellfish seasons to resume in May. According to Larry Phillips, WDFW Coastal Region Director, "We had an excellent season planned, with a great number of days available for razor clam digging. If we are not able to reopen, clam diggers can still look forward to larger clams next year."
If the department is able to open spring bear and turkey seasons on May 4, spring bear hunters would still have until May 31 or June 15, depending on the location, to use their permits before the intended season closure dates for those hunts. Likewise, spring turkey hunters would have 28 days of hunting during the spring season, plus, most likely, a robust fall season.
Hunting application deadlines for the rest of the year have not changed, yet the deadline for sealing bobcat and river otter pelts that were harvested during the 2019-2020 season has been extended to July 20.
Refunds for licenses and permits, if initiated before opening day, are available. Hunters can also get their points reinstated for spring bear season if requested prior to the start of the season.
The department does not regulate shed antler hunting, yet wants to remind the public that this activity is not allowed on state lands while the closures are in place.
For the latest updates on WDFW's coronavirus response updates, visit wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »
Not sure he is worried about it....that's a 2007 thread.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 06:30:23 PM »
:chuckle:
Maybe this is just a PSA.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Back from the eastside
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
Wow. This might be the biggest, most epic resurrection of a thread in Hunt WA history. 13 years?
Holy hell.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 07:13:26 PM »
Wow. This might be the biggest, most epic resurrection of a thread in Hunt WA history. 13 years?
Holy hell.

I accept that challenge... :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
Makes me want to get Fedex to bring me some espionage salts for my bucket to soak my feet in while I enjoy following this thread. :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 08:15:25 PM »

Just don’t tell the Russians.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:06 PM »
Makes me want to get Fedex to bring me some espionage salts for my bucket to soak my feet in while I enjoy following this thread. :chuckle:

I laughed way to hard. Ask my wife, she’ll tell you.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 11:31:18 PM »
Holy hell.

I accept that challenge... :chuckle:
The guy with the home made wasp suit comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 01:17:19 AM »
The Corona virus did create a Zombie after all.....

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 04:23:26 AM »
Maybe this is just a PSA.

Like we need more of those these days....

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 04:43:38 AM »
Kind of like the basketball on these days

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw