collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BEST YOUTH RIFLE FOR SMALL KID  (Read 2853 times)

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
Re: BEST YOUTH RIFLE FOR SMALL KID
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 11:40:25 PM »
We have 2 compact 7mm-08 guns. One is the Ruger American and the other is the Savage model 11. Both are great rifles. I like the Savage because it is a 20" barrel over the Ruger that is an 18"

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 07:23:21 AM »
Got our son a Ruger American compact, it has really surprised me how accurate it is.  Buddie gave me a cheap scope so I could have it ready for his birthday, couple adjustments at 100 yards... stepped back to 300 and put all 3 shots on the steel. I have been grabbing his rifle more than my rifle when I go out.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 08:36:32 AM »
If you could find a Remington Model 7....243 or 7mm08. Hope you find something your kiddo likes!!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 08:37:45 AM »
Got our son a Ruger American compact, it has really surprised me how accurate it is.  Buddie gave me a cheap scope so I could have it ready for his birthday, couple adjustments at 100 yards... stepped back to 300 and put all 3 shots on the steel. I have been grabbing his rifle more than my rifle when I go out.

This.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 09:41:19 AM »
Take a look at the Tikka Lite Compact it comes with a modular stock that allows you to have a shorter 12.5 LOP and a longer section that is a 13.5 LOP.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 09:50:59 AM »
I never thought making a gun louder was a good idea for kids OR adults.
I'd skip the brake and shoot reduced-recoil loads instead.
Hearing damage is permanent.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 09:54:02 AM »
My 9 year old will start deer and elk hunting this next year with me and she is TINY. She’s about 49” tall and about 60 lbs (scale batteries died 😂). Anyways I’ve been looking for a deer rifle that has a length of pull around 11.5”. Looking for a .243, possible 7mm08. Open to single shots even.

Ideas?
My son started with a compact 7mm08 last year when he was 9 years old.  I would say he was in the size range that your daughter is in.  The regular ammo at 140-150 grain gave him a pretty good thumping.  I would recommend finding some of the Hornaday lite loads if you go with the 7mm08 at least for deer. 

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
2 pages in and nobody's suggested a 6.5 Creedmoor I guess the Creedmoor phase is dying  :IBCOOL:.  I also started my oldest daughter with a 7mm08.  She's now moved into a full size rifle but stuck with the 7mm08.

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2022, 10:31:36 AM »
2 pages in and nobody's suggested a 6.5 Creedmoor I guess the Creedmoor phase is dying  :IBCOOL:.  I also started my oldest daughter with a 7mm08.  She's now moved into a full size rifle but stuck with the 7mm08.

If we didn't already have a 7mm-08 to share ammo I would have went 6.5 on the second one.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2022, 10:35:52 AM »

Hearing protection is a must and should be worn with or without a brake.  In the event you have to take a shot in the hunting scenario a .243 / 7-08 / 6.5 creedmoor etc. with a brake will not cause permanent hearing loss for one or two shots.   It’s prolonged / frequent exposure to loud noises that cause permanent damage.  This is not the case with magnum calibers that will make your ears ring for a weak.   With that said…..even in a hunting scenario…if you’re able, you should put on hearing protection for the shot.   

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2022, 10:40:46 AM »

Hearing protection is a must and should be worn with or without a brake.  In the event you have to take a shot in the hunting scenario a .243 / 7-08 / 6.5 creedmoor etc. with a brake will not cause permanent hearing loss for one or two shots.   It’s prolonged / frequent exposure to loud noises that cause permanent damage.  This is not the case with magnum calibers that will make your ears ring for a weak.   With that said…..even in a hunting scenario…if you’re able, you should put on hearing protection for the shot.   
I agree about the brake and hearing protection. One shot from a braked rifle can cause permanent hearing damage. It may be unnoticeable but hearing loss is cumulative and never gets better.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2022, 10:44:34 AM »
Felt recoil from a certain caliber can be different from one rifle to another (assuming same ammo / bullet weight).  Lots of factors play into felt recoil…weight of rifle, recoil pad, fit of rifle to shooter, bench vs off hand shooting etc….

If money is not an issue and you want the one and done for the rest of the kids hunting career, buy a savage with the accu stock so you can adjust LOP and comb height.  As the kid grows adjust the stock out.   If I were to do it again it would be a savage ultralite in 7-08, 6.5 creed, .308, etc.   only problem is the initial start up price. 

I own two ultralite an and they shoot amazing and the ability to adjust the stock is priceless….at 1/3 the price of a custom rifle. 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2022, 10:51:53 AM »

I agree about the brake and hearing protection. One shot from a braked rifle can cause permanent hearing damage. It may be unnoticeable but hearing loss is cumulative and never gets better.

You are correct, but the same is true for everything we do in life.  You will have more cumulative hearing loss from horns, sirens industrial noise, etc over the years than you will from a couple shots of a rifle a year.   Point being wear hearing protection if possible but to think one or two rifle shots per year without is causing irreparable damage is just an exaggeration of the facts.

Now if your shoot thousands of rounds per year without good hearing protection…..it’s gonna make car rides with the wife more manageable later in life. 

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2022, 11:11:47 AM »
:chuckle: I bought my daughter a youth model Mossberg in 6.5. She is about the same size as the OP's daughter. I've had her shooting the HSM reduced recoil rounds. It is surprisingly accurate for a cheap box store gun. She killed her first deer with it this year. I am slowly going to start working in regular loads with out her knowing to see how she handles the difference in felt recoil.
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2022, 11:17:27 AM »
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959041226

Highly recommend the Ruger M77 Hawkeye compact. My kids both used these in 7mm-08, fantastic little rifles for kids! :tup:

I have actually looked for one in stainless.243 for some time.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]