collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whitetail  (Read 3957 times)

Offline duckman18

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Tracker
Whitetail
« on: January 12, 2023, 10:49:45 AM »
Since my hunting partners and I struck out on Idaho tags this year, I am thinking about going up to the north east corner for Whitetail in November. I’ve done that once 10 years ago and had good success but we stayed in a hotel. We’ve never had issues in Idaho finding a camp spot never had  Anybody mess with our camp is the north east corner the same way or are camp spots hard to come by and do you have to worry about people messing with your camp or do they seem to leave them alone. We will be hunting out of a wall tent.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »
Plenty of camp spots. Both in the various campgrounds and boon docking on forest service ground. Don't think people messing with your camp is really any better or worse than anywhere else in the state, but always beware of leaving stuff out for the grab and run type. Weather can be a big factor in that late hunt, snow and cold are fairly common so best to keep access in mind if you choose to set up far from the main roads

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 11:08:20 AM »
We have both camped plenty of times in NE corner during wt season and never had an issue with stuff being stolen and also finding spots to camp
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 11:20:41 AM »
Youre going to want to see this years harvest reports.  I see maybe 1/4 of the deer from even 10 years ago.  No gimmies over here anymore.

Several of the guys in our loop have had stuff stolen, no truck break ins but we expect its coming.  Camp where your camp is visible so you can see it from a distance and it gets driven by relatively often.  Isolated camps and parked vehicles are targets.   Plenty of places to camp 100-200 yards off roads but wide open so no one can sneak around without being spotted.

For a fact, bunches of thieves in Chewelah, Colville, Arden, Addy, Curlew.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:27:46 PM »
Do not leave valuables. I know a ton of people who have had people go through their stuff . There a couple members on here

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 04:27:47 PM »
Meth-Head city up there. That’s why.
Zonk Volmer

Offline kodiak06

• Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/1083351106194408/
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 12:20:25 PM »
Since my hunting partners and I struck out on Idaho tags this year, I am thinking about going up to the north east corner for Whitetail in November. I’ve done that once 10 years ago and had good success but we stayed in a hotel. We’ve never had issues in Idaho finding a camp spot never had  Anybody mess with our camp is the north east corner the same way or are camp spots hard to come by and do you have to worry about people messing with your camp or do they seem to leave them alone. We will be hunting out of a wall tent.

They sold over 1,000 tags yesterday, still over 200 left if you're unaware
For active duty/vets, join FB page
U.S. Veteran Hunters

Offline duckman18

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 01:23:06 PM »

They sold over 1,000 tags yesterday, still over 200 left if you're unaware
Yeah not interested in any of the units that are left thanks I don’t know anything about them

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 01:32:49 PM »
I've camped many nights in NE WA for hunting and work and never had my camps messed with. That said the work camps are pretty sparse and the hunting camp usually has an old guy or 2 in it every couple hours throughout the day. I think you're most likely fine but there are definitely tweakers around so there's always a chance of an issue.

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Youre going to want to see this years harvest reports.  I see maybe 1/4 of the deer from even 10 years ago.  No gimmies over here anymore.

This is some sage advice.  Just two years ago I'd see the same dozen deer on my way to work.  Now I'm lucky to see one.  Usually it's none.
Predators, disease, and deregulating the units has caused the quantity and quality of deer in the NE corner to decline terribly.  When they were 4 point or better units I saw bucks everywhere.  Now it's bleak.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 10:45:58 PM »
then you get the social media guys " you just dont hunt hard enough" 'I pass tons of legal bucks" blah blah. No crap there is deer, but they are a mere fraction of 10 years ago. Trail cameras do not lie, glassing ag fields do not lie. Fields that had 50 deer a night in them 10 years ago are now 8-15 deer, places I ran cams where the normal for 10 plus years was 7-12 different bucks at every cam, some places now have 0 bucks! and maybe 2-4 does. I have friends who run 30-50 cams a year in 204,101,105,108 and all have said the same thing. The days in 101 where we could throw out a cam and some feed and have 145"+ buck or 3 at every cam every year are long gone! Good friend of mine ran 30 cams this year up there and found 1 big buck in 5 months of scouting, sad days in this state right now.

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 03:50:26 AM »
As said earlier; there’s deer, just not very many. I ran 20 cameras last year between 101, 105 and 113. I found one really good buck. A handful of okay bucks but for the most part pretty bleak.

As far as camping spots go, especially during the late whitetail season you won’t have any troubles at all finding good camping spots along forest service roads.

Also, if you don’t see any deer feel free to put your tag on a methhead, squatter or just common vagrant. Just be sure to call a sheriffs deputy opposed to the state patrol when you have your harvest sealed and all will be well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 07:16:38 AM »
With a few hundred most any winter evening at the peak in 127, now a few dozen.  Patience is a virtue

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 07:23:00 AM »
It's true down here in the Palouse, as well.   I'm seeing about 20-25% of the deer I used to see.  There is a run I take outside of town of a given length, that I usually take at the same time in the evening on the days I do it.  Eight to ten years ago, I'd see 70-100 whitetails, and now I see 20-25.  The EHD/bluetongue outbreaks of 2015 and 2020 really hit the whitetails hard.  Predation is less of a factor here than in the northeast, and our herds are still down. 

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
I've hunted 4 general seasons up in the colville area as a kid and we never got broken into. We camped in a more popular area and because of that there was more pressure, but I never had the feeling that sketchy stuff was going on. We saw deer every year, but the bucks are holed up tight in thickets and the does are being pushed around by other hunters. It's doable just steer clear of the crowds.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]