collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who actually sells their sheds 😂  (Read 8430 times)

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Who actually sells their sheds 😂
« on: January 16, 2023, 09:29:41 PM »
So just in a couple seasons of shed hunting I’ve filled up an 8’ three level book case and now I’m working on a large tote.

So my question, who actually can part with their sheds 😂 I feel sentimentally attached to each one, they all have a story lol… Oh and the only reason I ask is my wife’s asking me when we can get rid of some of them 🥺
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline HHPro

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Who actually sells their sheds 😂
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 09:32:34 PM »
Sold 17 elk sheds a year and a half ago for little over a $1000.00,now back to stock piling for the next sale.

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 10:13:13 PM »
Sold 17 elk sheds a year and a half ago for little over a $1000.00,now back to stock piling for the next sale.

I just showed my wife this and she said “ oh you’re showing me this so I know how much I’ll get for yours when you die.” I said” haha , no I’ll be buried with them.” She thought that was funny. I don’t sell mine,ever. Each one equates to many hard hikes to find them and lots of great memories in the woods. I love to just sit and look at them or show them to people that like them.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 10:26:05 PM »
I sell a pile every few years but keep the best sets. Thats a 1200 dollar load there, kinda wish I hadn't sold a couple of those ones now haha. For the first few years I was really into it I could remember the exact location of each shed and all the details around finding them. Drove my wife crazy in an apartment half filled with antlers

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 10:28:28 PM »
I keep the biggest sets and singles from every state that I’ve found antlers in (13) and sell the rest to go into the gun/ammo/fishing stuff fund.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 10:35:55 PM »

I just showed my wife this and she said “ oh you’re showing me this so I know how much I’ll get for yours when you die.” I said” haha , no I’ll be buried with them.” She thought that was funny. I don’t sell mine,ever. Each one equates to many hard hikes to find them and lots of great memories in the woods. I love to just sit and look at them or show them to people that like them.

Exactly 😂🤙🏼

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 04:46:05 AM »
At a certain point you know longer remember each shed.  You’ll remember the unique ones, but the rest run together.   I used to think I’d always remember each one, then there became too many.  I sold about $4K worth one day.  I don’t miss them, in fact I still think I should’ve sold more every time I have to move a pile around.

Now for those starting out in today’s world of shed hunting, this may take a while. Seems like everyone is a shed hunter now.  I started in the mid to late 90’s.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 06:40:41 AM »
At a certain point you know longer remember each shed.  You’ll remember the unique ones, but the rest run together.   I used to think I’d always remember each one, then there became too many.  I sold about $4K worth one day.  I don’t miss them, in fact I still think I should’ve sold more every time I have to move a pile around.

Now for those starting out in today’s world of shed hunting, this may take a while. Seems like everyone is a shed hunter now.  I started in the mid to late 90’s.
:yeah: The pressure now days sure takes the fun out of it, guys going out too early and all my favorite spots haven't had a shed in them in years now.  I guess when I retire I'll beat them to it!  Sold a few and keep the best, want to make stuff with them when I get old...er. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 07:04:37 AM »
I was offered $1200 for my big whitetail one time and a free casted copy of it. I said no, I was 16 I think when I found it. The money was not as important as the memories it held. I was in the woods more then than I get to be now like the rest of you said. I hardly find any now because I can't find time. I find some in the wheat fields on traffic routes still but not a lot in the woods unless I find them while hunting in the fall.

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 07:20:26 AM »
 I’m in the same boat I really don’t want to part but my rafters in shop are full to the point I want to sheet rock but I won’t have anywhere to put them all

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 07:37:35 AM »
I’ve been contemplating it.   Pile is  un wielding, house is starting to tilt.   It might finance something cool.   As a lot, it’s just a pile.   As a single, many represent a memory.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 08:26:34 AM »
I’ve been contemplating it.   Pile is  un wielding, house is starting to tilt.   It might finance something cool.   As a lot, it’s just a pile.   As a single, many represent a memory.

I can only fathom your shed pile 😂

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 09:37:40 AM »
I've left many, never really cared much about sheds.  Growing up the men I learned to hunt from never cared much about them either, that's probably why.  It seems it was never really a thing until recently.  I think I have came home with maybe four over the years, the rest I just left or put up in a tree.  I always thought it was fun to leave them, someone, I suppose, eventually came along and thought they found something real neat when I already passed it up.  If you have ever found an elk or deer shed in a tree, who knows, it might have been me? 

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 10:33:53 AM »
I've left many, never really cared much about sheds.  Growing up the men I learned to hunt from never cared much about them either, that's probably why.  It seems it was never really a thing until recently.  I think I have came home with maybe four over the years, the rest I just left or put up in a tree.  I always thought it was fun to leave them, someone, I suppose, eventually came along and thought they found something real neat when I already passed it up.  If you have ever found an elk or deer shed in a tree, who knows, it might have been me? 

Nowadays it’s someone’s cool hangar ATL.   😂

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 10:46:07 AM »
He’s in Dayton

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 11:31:01 AM »

I'll pick up a penny tails up in a gas station parking lot. Unless I'm down in a hole or its chalky I'm bringing it out with me  :dunno:

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 11:37:09 AM »
I pack all the sheds out that I find. But the dead heads that we aren’t allowed to keep here in Washington I also stick up in a tree or placed at the end of a tan log. I always figure it will give somebody a brief glimmer of hope during hunting season as they’re scanning with their binoculars before they realize what they are looking at.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 12:26:23 PM »
I have also shot arrows I have found out hunting up into a tree.  I don't draw my bow all the way back, I pull it just enough before it cams over.  There is one arrow I shot up into a Ponderosa pine about 30 feet up.  It's always fun to go back to that spot and find it. 

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 12:28:54 PM »
I found an old Bull Bison skull on a hike near the Yellowstone river inside the park.  It was picked clean and beautiful.  Took a few pics and then left it.  I'll admit I had a few criminal thoughts run through my mind though!

I pack all the sheds out that I find. But the dead heads that we aren’t allowed to keep here in Washington I also stick up in a tree or placed at the end of a tan log. I always figure it will give somebody a brief glimmer of hope during hunting season as they’re scanning with their binoculars before they realize what they are looking at.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 01:50:06 PM »
Stepped over many sheds looking for mushrooms.  I never knew they were worth anything until I joined here.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 04:56:50 PM »

I was the same way. My dad and grandpa didn't even want to pack the horns off animals they shot unless they were really nice. The old timers who taught me to hunt definitely didn't care about packing sheds out.  I packed sheds out most of the time but threw them in our garden or hung them in a notch between 2 big ponderosa pines in my yard. It became a gigantic ball of antlers and looked kind of cool but most of them have deteriorated and some are just little stumps. I guess I just threw away thousands of dollars  :chuckle: . I used to find sheds all the time mostly just following my hounds when we were chasing lions or bears. I have not found very many sheds in the last few years, even when I went out intentionally looking for them. Its become a pretty serious competition ha ha. still fun to look for them but I don't find very many these days. I do keep nice sheds inside now that I have been educated on the value but I haven't accumulated enough recently to worry about selling them. I did find a couple decent whitetail dead heads last year but just threw them in the garden again.   

Offline treefarmer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 07:33:56 PM »
What’s the going rate for shed antlers?

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 08:06:08 PM »
Last time I sold was summer 2021 I believe the price was 18 a pound for brown elk and moose and 16 a pound for brown deer.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 08:29:35 PM »
I have sold well over a ton of elk. Some deer and moose as well. I only regret parting with 3 sets off one bull, wish i had hung onto those. Take alot of pics, and always keep some of unique and special ones around the house ( my wife likes them within reason) but once they are a pickup bed worth of garage space collecting dust its time to part ways. Its actually kinda fun in its own way, as im loading them recalling the specs on each one.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 09:54:18 PM »
I sold 7 brown and 2 white for $680 In October

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 09:57:11 PM »
I’ve never sold any, are you guys selling them by the pound
Go hawks

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 05:11:09 AM »
yes, typically they sell by the pound.  I’d like to find someone to buy them cut for dog chews!

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 05:17:11 AM »
yes, typically they sell by the pound.  I’d like to find someone to buy them cut for dog chews!

I will check with a buddy of mine he knew or knows someone in that industry. He wanted me to sell mine for dog chews cause he got a better deal if he had a bigger pile. I told him to go fly a kite.
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 05:24:07 AM »

I will check with a buddy of mine he knew or knows someone in that industry. He wanted me to sell mine for dog chews cause he got a better deal if he had a bigger pile. I told him to go fly a kite.
the thought of cutting them up makes me sick, but those suckers are expensive. Let me know by PM please!!!

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 06:42:17 AM »
People that sell their sheds are the same ones that shoot their birddog when it gets old.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:21:50 AM by 2MANY »

Offline Gettin Birdie

• Hunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 07:04:39 AM »
I wouldn't mind parting with some of the old, white, chalky types, but keep the browns for now....What do the crappy one's usually go for, half of brown, a quarter of browns?  Got lots of white elks, never seem to find the browns :bash:.  Thanks. 

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 07:41:10 AM »
Sold some, given some, keep some and saw a little WT buck still packing this AM so there is hope even with low deer numbers

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 08:37:51 AM »
What’s current price?I mean current not a year or 2 ago.

Browns

Chalk

Chewed

Across the board 

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 08:48:23 AM »
Antler buyer on the Meateater podcast said A quality browns were like $16-$18/pound during peak buying season if I remember correctly. Not sure if he went into prices for the lower tiers.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 10:22:27 AM »
People that sell their sheds are the same ones that shoot their birddog when it gets old.

This was a sarcastic joke.
My bad.
 :bash:

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »

My bad.

I thought it was funny lol

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 11:06:36 AM »
I found this for deer sheds…

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 12:36:28 PM »

My bad.

I thought it was funny lol

I did too until I saw my Buddy BVBH posted about selling sheds!
Foot in Mouth.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2023, 01:54:39 PM »
Lol thats great 2many. No harm at all, I got a chuckle. Its kinda true. Except its more like, having a stable of horses and mules.......  :chuckle:

The reality for me is I do have some i would never want to part with. Some big ones, especially big BT, my dogs first sheds blind, small 5 point i picked up the morning my youngest daughter was born, ones picked up with my kids. But the more i collected the less novelty there was to a "pile" as opposed to those ones that stood apart on their own for whatever reason and the easier it was to make room for more.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »
I suppose I'm glad they're work money to someone when I see how many folks are spending time, gas and money to get them...

To each their own!   :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2023, 04:15:17 PM »
Prices for the buyer I previously posted. You should call and ask what current price is as it changes.

Elk 11+ depends on quality and color etc

Deer 8+ depends on quality and color.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 05:09:03 PM by Caseyd »

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2023, 04:53:55 PM »
If you are serious about selling a large quantity i would suggest calling Moscow hide and Fur. If you are anywhere close to them it will probably be worth the time they seem to pay better than the single shingles buying out of pickups

Offline Romulus

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2023, 05:43:25 PM »
I only keep the best ones....fresh and big or just real big...sell them when I get a couple thousand dollars worth......after wasting a couple flower beds full I will only throw real crappy ones in the yard....kept the first ones the kids found and few other sentimental ones but if I find a good one big enough to make the wall I will pull the smallest one off the wall and sell it.....one wall full is enough. And I have a pretty big wall.  :rolleyes:

Offline Romulus

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2023, 05:50:02 PM »
Just sold a few and some friends sold a bunch......got 17 for number 1 and 11 for number 2 and 3 a pound for number 3........ I sold about $3500 worth and a friend sold $6200 and another sold $8800...........I had a couple years worth minus the biggest ones and the other guys sold piles they had accumulated for many years.

Pretty good money at 17 for fresh.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2023, 07:02:38 PM »
No wonder people go crazy for sheds
$$$$
Used to be going for a nice walk and finding treasure
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]