collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clamming back on  (Read 6739 times)

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
Re: Clamming back on
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2023, 08:48:28 AM »
We went Friday and got our limits but it was a tough dig. The wind was blowing 30+ and we had to pound hard for every show. Looks like it will be a lot nicer tonight. We have a clam shack near the Taurus beach acess so we don’t go too far from there to dig.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2023, 09:56:57 AM »
 :tup:

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2023, 11:08:08 AM »
Wife kids an I will be out at copalis tonight, should be a bit of the dig in the daylight looks like we could start at about 4 o clock judging by the tide. Could be limited before dark if it's a good dig

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2023, 08:52:55 PM »
We eeked out a few, got pretty wet with a pounding surfing on the outgoing tide kids got tired of being pushed over by the wind but went home with 20. All sizes big to small plenty enough to fry up and a batch of chowder

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 06:07:25 AM »
Surf was up, but nine of us all limited last night before it got dark. Wasn't much dry digging to be had. Mixed bag on sizes. The waves were rolling in pretty hard and anybody who didn't have hip boots or waders eventually got wet feet.  But I've seen worse conditions.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 06:57:32 AM »
You guys using any "reliable" weather sources before you make the call to head out? I'm about two hours from the beach and have gotten incredibly lucky almost every single time with good weather but I always wonder when the time will come lol

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 08:42:55 AM »
You guys using any "reliable" weather sources before you make the call to head out? I'm about two hours from the beach and have gotten incredibly lucky almost every single time with good weather but I always wonder when the time will come lol

I think most standard weather sites are accurate enough regarding wind and rain. This time of year we need to consider how wet is too wet? and how windy is too windy?  :dunno: And you have to be prepared for the worst regardless.

Surf conditions seem like more of a gray area; then you need to interpret how that translates into clams 'showing' and being reasonably diggable. This is the difficult part to predict part for me.

We're going down to try tonight's dig. Weather looks kinda crappy, but surf conditions look pretty good. Roll of the dice how the clams will show, but with the openings the way they have been I figure it's time to go. Lousy conditions will be encountered eventually, but it's all part of the process. Some of our family's best clamming memories are when things were very questionable.

:twocents:
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 08:48:10 AM »

I think most standard weather sites are accurate enough regarding wind and rain. This time of year we need to consider how wet is too wet? and windy is too windy?  :dunno: And you have to be prepared for the worst regardless.

Surf conditions seem like more of a gray area; then you need to interpret how that translates into clams 'showing' and being reasonably diggable. This is the difficult part to predict part for me.

We're going down to try tonight's dig. Weather looks kinda crappy, but surf conditions look pretty good. Roll of the dice how the clams will show, but with the openings the way they have been I figure it's time to go. Lousy conditions will be encountered eventually, but it's all part of the process. Some of our family's best clam memories are when things were very questionable.

:twocents:

I feel like the normal weather apps I use go to crap at the beach but then again they're only reasonable accurate inland too. I definitely can't figure out surf conditions on my own, but I always end up falling back on how ive never found a single clam at home.so I might as well go  :chuckle: 

But I don't think I've ever been there on a really crappy day

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 10:07:20 PM »
Well, the clams did not disappoint tonight. Pretty easy limits for my wife and me. Lots of shows and we tried to select for larger clams , but ended up with a mix of sizes. Weather was not too bad. The wind was no joke though. Decently warm and mostly dry. When it did rain it was hard to tell unless you faced right into the wind which I tried not to do anyway. Surf was light, as was the crowd.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 07:13:42 AM »
More short-notice openings announced last night:

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 07:33:59 AM »
I use the weather app called Windy, show the wind speeds and weather. If you pay for the upgrade you can get wave heights and intervals which translate pretty well to the beach.

quote author=Jpmiller link=topic=276693.msg3764731#msg3764731 date=1675695452]
[/quote]

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 08:16:31 PM »
Went out today on Rosevelt beach. Took us longer to walk to the surf line then to dig 2 limits. Great tide on Saturday at Copalis beach. If you have never dug razors and need a clam coach PM me. I have a place near the beach and am happy to show the razor ropes.  I have extra gear if you don’t want to invest in gear until you are sure what works.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 10:27:51 PM »
Went out today on Rosevelt beach. Took us longer to walk to the surf line then to dig 2 limits.

And to top it off a gorgeous evening on the beach. Made it hard to leave.

Offline Jamieb

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2023, 06:04:27 PM »
That was a fast dig. It took all of 20 minutes at Copalis tonight.

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2023, 07:26:52 PM »
That was a fast dig. It took all of 20 minutes at Copalis tonight.
we went out early and they were thick. All of them nice size. We were south of the Taurus acess

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]