collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of State: Quality versus Quantity  (Read 1593 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Out of State: Quality versus Quantity
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:32:30 AM »
The Wyoming Elk thread has had some good dialogue and I think a side thread is worthy for the discussion on draw strategies. The main question I have for everyone is their strategy of applying in other states with regards to tag "quality". I know to some people, it is worth many years sitting on the sidelines for that chance to draw one premium tag whereas there are others who would prefer the lower point units where you can hunt every couple years. Where do you sit?

The older I get, the harder I lean towards the mindset of just wanting to hunt somewhere as much as possible. I think this comes from two factors which are the increasing worse draw odds in a lot of the western states along with myself and my old man getting up there in age. We never know when our last time we lace our boots up to hit the mountains will be and for me, its more and more about getting out there with friends and family than it is about trying to shoot a big bull, buck or whatever.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: Out of State: Quality versus Quantity
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 09:53:57 AM »
 I have 5 year rule, my goal is to not collect more than 5 points (years) before hunting that state. I hate points in general, but love hunting. What I know about myself is I am much better off hunting often in low points units as often as possible, than dealing with the stress of high point units and the roller coaster of variables at play in hunting already.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:00:44 AM »
I have 5 year rule, my goal is to not collect more than 5 points (years) before hunting that state. I hate points in general, but love hunting. What I know about myself is I am much better off hunting often in low points units as often as possible, than dealing with the stress of high point units and the roller coaster of variables at play in hunting already.

Yes that is a good point that often overlooked in that we tend to put undue pressure on ourselves when we have those "glory" tags. The hunts that you don't go in with super high expectations tend to be more enjoyable overall, even if the end result is not a trophy class animal  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 10:39:19 AM »
For me it is somewhere in the middle.  We all only have limited time and number of falls to hunt.  Some of us have more time each fall then others.  When you dont have a ton of time each fall, you really want each hunt to be a quality experience(whatever your definition is).  Nothing is more frustrating to me than dreaming and looking forward to something all year and then having it just be a huge disappointment.  So over the years I've been pretty picky when it comes to what out of state hunts I wanted to do, I've definitely leaned into the quality over the quantity. 

That being said, tags are getting so much harder to draw now then even 5 years ago, I'm starting to shift more focus a little more to the quantity over quality, although I would rather do a hunt every couple of years and deal with less pressure and a higher percentage chance at game, then hunt a spot yearly that is a 3 ring circus with a low chance at game. 

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 11:12:44 AM »
Strategy varies year by year, all depends on what other obligations I have and how busy the schedule is. If I'm real busy, I apply for more long-shot tags. If I have more time to hunt, more tags in the pocket is what I go for. In general I stay away from the big name tags, normally I set a goal for the year and apply for the best drawing odds that I think I have a realistic possibility of hitting said goal. I feel more confident in the odds of pulling a good animal out of a mediocre unit than I do about getting a premium tag in my pocket. I also enjoy hunting new areas more than hunting the same spots year after year even though the latter is better for filling tags

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 11:25:41 AM »
I'm doing a bit of a hybrid strategy - aim to get one 'sure thing' out-of-state tag each year (may have to settle for a cow hunt every now and then since Idaho is getting so hard), and swing for the fences on others (like AZ, NV).  Hopefully building points like that in multiple species in multiple states I'll be in a position to cash those in and do more hunting when I retire in 10-15 years and who knows maybe get lucky on a coveted unit or two in the mean time.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 12:54:38 PM »
I hunt every year, two weeks, deer and elk.  I also put in for other hunts in another state and will go hunt those tag when I have enough points instead of my regular two weeks.

So, I guess I do both?

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 01:27:12 PM »
Given how much longer it takes to get draws in other states now, I've dramatically scaled back my out of state applications.  The costs and wait have gotten to the point where I focus on my home state, and hunt one other state on shorter to draw tags.  My "dream" hunts will be via outfitter in Canada or elsewhere with guaranteed tags, as time and money permits.  It just didn't make sense anymore to keep piling money into all western states (and some midwestern) like I was to build up points given the level of point creep that many states are seeing.   I have some good spots in my home state for deer and elk for OTC tags, so still focus on those until I draw in one of the few remaining states that I still apply in.  Gone are the days where I'm willing to build points for 20+ years in many other states, as I'll simply never draw now in some of those states and it's not worth the expense of applying that many years.  I'm better to save that money and compile it for an outfitter hunt on guaranteed tags. 

Offline Buckjunkie

• Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 01:50:48 PM »
My strategy is simple. Two parts - In some states I am applying for low odds trophy units and in others I am applying for units I can draw every or every other year.

I believe you will do better over the long run hunting units over and over because you get to know the area and have higher success. Going into a “top end” unit takes a lot of research and maybe a scouting trip in the summer to make those points count. Getting to know what other hunters typically do really helps, but you can only learn that during the season. You will never figure that out if you only hunt a unit every 20 years.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 03:23:15 PM »
My goal atm is one quality hunt a month from August-December..I'm in for 12 or 13 states and irregardless of the points it takes for the tag I treat it as a premium opportunity..so I look at my points available each year and find the best opportunity for each block of time I have and will force the draw..il do some easy draw tags as filler hunts and will be buying tags when the time is right and I run out of options with the given points I have.

Lots of different strategies out there but there is so much more opportunity then time on the calendar...pretty easy to build points and get into the mid tier tags

Good luck in the draws  :hello:

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 06:07:46 PM »
Some states I'm committed to the long haul, others I pursue the low points, general season type quality hunts.  I can generally only get away from work for 2-3 weeks, which translates to one or two out of state hunts, and some days here and there for local hunting.  In a perfect world I'd pull a sought after tag every other year or so, and fill in the rest with general season type opportunities.  Washington is always there and I enjoy good success, but getting out of state and hunting new areas with different rules and seasons is great.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 10:13:33 PM »
its state by state for me. Take UT for example all the elk and deer tags are going to take a some time to draw in the LE and you dont have a choice than to apply and hope you draw in the random. I dont swing for the fences in any state and always try and apply for hunts that offer me limited number of people in the field or a decent shot a taking something really nice. Like mentioned 5 points today is not like 5 points 5 years ago. More and more applicants every year is making it harder everywhere to draw tags.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]