collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another season coming to close  (Read 3584 times)

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Another season coming to close
« on: January 24, 2023, 04:41:27 PM »
Final weekend of the general season coming up. Last three weeks have been a grind on the coast but overall anothet incredible season with lots of limits for a lot of new faces. Gonna meet up with my daughter and enjoy snacks, stories, and burn a lot of powder 😁. Looking forward to getting in some steelhead fishing  before farming time. Another new face for the Veteran hunt, a canned pheasant trip, and Panzer dog gets to rest his bones and dream about sharpies and chukar. Hope to see folks out getting it done. Stay safe

Offline mboyle0828

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Another season coming to close
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 05:42:29 PM »
It was a great season!

Fun hunting with you and Panz, too  8)

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »
Thanks. We enjoy getting folks out to enjoy what great hunting can be like. With effort, we can begin to see how blessed we are in Washington.

Offline BlackRiverLabradors

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 07:03:12 AM »
Metal head you’re a farmer?  I’m always looking for places to train my Labradors if you have an area to share I’d be forever greatfull to you.I run hunt test for a hobby and try and train most everyday. I got 6 retrievers  now but only run 4 in the hunt test as 2 are getting up in age. My number is 360-888-8085  if you want to text or call me .  Also if you want to train dogs sometime .   Thanks John 

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 08:28:55 AM »
Appreciate the offer. I've no standing water on the property to water train. Scatter Creek is near which is great, however one cannot do very long water retrieves. My north property is only 5 acres but set up great for upland training for puppies.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 09:32:33 AM »
Glad you had another great season. Maybe I'll get actually get to take you up on your generous offer to hunt next season. Enjoy the time afield with your daughter as hunting with the kids (regardless of how old they are) always holds a special place in the memory bank.  :tup:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »
Our fort

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 08:11:26 AM »
It was a really fun, above average season for my family. Hunted most of the day Friday, and the morning hunt Saturday, to close it out. A mixed bag of mostly mallards and gadwall with 2 geese. We were checked by a Fish & wildlife officer on our way out. It was a good contact, checked shotguns, license, and ammo, and he was on his way. Very friendly. We were absolutely covered in ducks 30 mins prior to 0700 each of the last two mornings. We got a few flocks after go time, but they quickly dispersed and it would turn into a grind. Good times!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 06:04:33 AM by C-Money »
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 03:46:48 PM »
So, I went today I took a guy and his son to the spot I had been hunting. The birds really were not moving for us. At about 9:00 we had one geese come in, and I whispered to his son to take the shot when he was ready. The goose was going to land in the decoys and he drilled it… goose down. We finished out the hunt at 1:00 pm with nothing else moving.

I was thinking to myself on my way home about how slow of a day it was. Only seeing 3 ducks before shooting light and the single goose. As I’m unpacking the truck I got a text from the dad, his son had been talking nonstop once they hit the truck about his goose. As you all are aware, today was the last day, I am glad I went even though I never fired a shot today.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 05:08:46 PM »
So, I went today I took a guy and his son to the spot I had been hunting. The birds really were not moving for us. At about 9:00 we had one geese come in, and I whispered to his son to take the shot when he was ready. The goose was going to land in the decoys and he drilled it… goose down. We finished out the hunt at 1:00 pm with nothing else moving.

I was thinking to myself on my way home about how slow of a day it was. Only seeing 3 ducks before shooting light and the single goose. As I’m unpacking the truck I got a text from the dad, his son had been talking nonstop once they hit the truck about his goose. As you all are aware, today was the last day, I am glad I went even though I never fired a shot today.

Good day!  :tup:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 04:21:59 PM »
Why do many people all of the sudden have to make so many new rules for their long and trusted hunting friends? About how my season went.  Probably just life changes for the good and new responsibilities unpredictably crushed my waterfowl hunting partners?
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 07:15:41 PM »
We age, so what you may see as rules could in fact just be changes. A few of my full time hunting buddies are just not able to make the ultra early roll outs these days. Sunday church service has taken more priority than the past. Also started to encourage smaller guage guns in the blind. Seems odd to some.We learn to adjust so that we can maximize our time afield. These adjustments can be uncomfortable for others.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 08:47:10 PM »
We age, so what you may see as rules could in fact just be changes. A few of my full time hunting buddies are just not able to make the ultra early roll outs these days. Sunday church service has taken more priority than the past. Also started to encourage smaller guage guns in the blind. Seems odd to some.We learn to adjust so that we can maximize our time afield. These adjustments can be uncomfortable for others.

This is my second time on ground zero buddies leaving for better buddies with better land.  First time since 86 I haven't bought a license.  I was even able to survive the hunt when my dad moved out of state from 88-92 but this time the flocks are getting smaller or even nill in many cases.   
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 02:24:19 PM »
That's a wrap. Got it done despite incredibly bad shooting for both of us. Caught hell for bringing a Marine but found time very enjoyable. No misguided children here🫡 Thanks to all the folks that Panzer and I enjoyed hunts with. Until next season, stay safe.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
Boat cleaning day

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]