collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kimber 300WSM almost ready for Africa  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
Re: Kimber 300WSM almost ready for Africa
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 08:03:23 AM »

I should have my Kimber back in a few weeks, then it’s off to the range to start shooting of sticks like will most likely occur there.

At what distance will you be shooting from the sticks, at the range? Any idea of anticipated distances (from the sticks) in Africa?  I shoot at 300 yards from a bench rest to test zero and like to finish up by shooting from my Bog-Pod tripod for an actual hunting simulation. I'd read that 150 yards was kind of a limit on their effectiveness  but accuracy from 300 yards seemed OK.

Offline jetjockey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 09:24:29 AM »

I should have my Kimber back in a few weeks, then it’s off to the range to start shooting of sticks like will most likely occur there.

At what distance will you be shooting from the sticks, at the range? Any idea of anticipated distances (from the sticks) in Africa?  I shoot at 300 yards from a bench rest to test zero and like to finish up by shooting from my Bog-Pod tripod for an actual hunting simulation. I'd read that 150 yards was kind of a limit on their effectiveness  but accuracy from 300 yards seemed OK.

I want to be comfortable up to 300.  For game, 250-300 at the most for plains game, probably no more than 100 for Cape Buffalo.  You really don’t want to wound a Cape buffalo.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »

I want to be comfortable up to 300.  For game, 250-300 at the most for plains game, probably no more than 100 for Cape Buffalo.  You really don’t want to wound a Cape buffalo.

You should be able to get comfortable fairly easily. Definitely a difference shooting off sticks than from a bench rest, I use a Bog-Pod HD (several years old) with the larger yoke to rest the rifle on. Suggest several practice sessions at 300 yards just to get the feel at the longest expected distance. I'm using a 2-10x42 scope, which is enough for hunting accuracy at that distance.......but you are not going to get MOA accuracy. Have a great trip!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 01:58:55 PM »
I’m hoping the new barrel will have express sites…
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 02:11:34 PM »
I’m hoping the new barrel will have express sites…

Im not going to have time to rebarrel it before we go, but it was a pretty good shooter before the new stock.  After we get back, it’s getting a Kimber contoured Lilja.  It’s my elk rifle as well, so I’m keeping the barrel clean to keep weight down.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 06:54:45 AM »
All finished.  Can’t wait to get it to the range.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2023, 07:36:57 AM »
I leave the end of May for a 10 day Zambia Cape Buffalo and plains game hunt.  I love tradition, and while not an old 7x57 or Pre-64 30-06,  at least my Kimber will look the part.  I’m of the belief that when you hunt someplace like Africa, you take a gun worthy of the African tradition.  I should have my Kimber back in a few weeks, then it’s off to the range to start shooting of sticks like will most likely occur there.  My Father in Law is bringing a Dakota in .416 Rigby for the Buffalo, and it fits the Africa mold as well.  Eventually, I’ll rebarrel my Kimber with a Lilja Barrel in the same contour and cartridge, but I won’t have time before we leave.

What caliber is your rifle you are taking? Did I just miss that?
Beautiful job on the Kimber. Love that blank, I want to try this so bad. What does a decent turning cost?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2023, 03:14:46 PM »
I leave the end of May for a 10 day Zambia Cape Buffalo and plains game hunt.  I love tradition, and while not an old 7x57 or Pre-64 30-06,  at least my Kimber will look the part.  I’m of the belief that when you hunt someplace like Africa, you take a gun worthy of the African tradition.  I should have my Kimber back in a few weeks, then it’s off to the range to start shooting of sticks like will most likely occur there.  My Father in Law is bringing a Dakota in .416 Rigby for the Buffalo, and it fits the Africa mold as well.  Eventually, I’ll rebarrel my Kimber with a Lilja Barrel in the same contour and cartridge, but I won’t have time before we leave.

What caliber is your rifle you are taking? Did I just miss that?
Beautiful job on the Kimber. Love that blank, I want to try this so bad. What does a decent turning cost?

300wsm.  The stock was about $2600, not including the blank.  Most guys are more, and some are a lot more.  Most guys I had spoken with were around $3k, plus they charged for every little extra thing.  My stock is pillar and glass bedded, with a freefloated barrel, and 100% filled oil finish.  Plus is has M70 two screw sling studs.  The oil finish alone was a $400+ add on at many stock makers.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2023, 06:13:41 PM »
Sweet  :tup:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2023, 07:26:31 PM »

My trips for plains game only one shot (wildebeast) was 300 yards. All the rest 100-200 yards, but you never know😊
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 09:58:24 AM »

[/quote]
My trips for plains game only one shot (wildebeast) was 300 yards. All the rest 100-200 yards, but you never know😊
[/quote]

I don’t expect to shoot much further than that either, but if a monster kudu pops out at 300 yards, I want to be comfortable off sticks.  300-500 I’ll want a good rest, and beyond that, I’m not shooting.   I’m hoping the Buffalo is really close, but not too close. 🤣

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 10:25:31 AM »

[/quote]

I don’t expect to shoot much further than that either, but if a monster kudu pops out at 300 yards, I want to be comfortable off sticks.  300-500 I’ll want a good rest, and beyond that, I’m not shooting.   I’m hoping the Buffalo is really close, but not too close. 🤣
[/quote]
Up close is when it gets exciting, and not in a good way!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 03:04:58 PM »
Is it too pretty to hunt with now?   :chuckle:

Get after it and report back to us!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter