collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arizona Elk  (Read 5424 times)

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Arizona Elk
« on: January 31, 2023, 08:46:31 AM »
Thinking about trying for a muzzy hunt in an average unit with 17 points. We will see. Anyone else getting close to drawing?

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Arizona Elk
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 08:57:44 AM »
Thinking about trying for a muzzy hunt in an average unit with 17 points. We will see. Anyone else getting close to drawing?

I've got 23.  Debating what to do, stick with muzzy or go with one of the better archery tags. 

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
Tough choice, I’d rather go sooner than later but going solo doesn’t sound real great. I will if I have to since I have the time now.

Offline Beastmonger1987

• Tracker
  • Groups: Wild Sheep Foundation
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:54:30 PM »
Playing the random game but 1 in 7 odds late rifle, I will have to go guided if I draw, but if I can "steal" an Arizona tag before year 10, I feel like I'm ahead of the game! Good luck to those in the draw!

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 04:23:23 PM »
I have a friend that drew this year 385 bull...cool story behind the hunt. I'll see if he will let me post a pic.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline blacktailhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 05:31:03 PM »
Putting in this year with 20pts early archery.  Doubt we draw with the later start of the 14th this year, I'm sure people with more points will jump in this year.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 06:08:39 PM »
Hope you guys draw. Has anyone done the math of the total cost you have in by the time you get to 20 or more points? I probably won’t jump in at this late stage in the game. But wondering what it looks like cost wise vs just buying landowner tags in states like New Mexico

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 06:26:49 PM »
Hope you guys draw. Has anyone done the math of the total cost you have in by the time you get to 20 or more points? I probably won’t jump in at this late stage in the game. But wondering what it looks like cost wise vs just buying landowner tags in states like New Mexico

Just depends on your goals... the price of those land owner tags will be rising as the non resident availability goes down...your looking around 5k-8k on average hunts and 8-15k on better tags..thats alot of years of applications

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 06:30:00 PM »
A lot of things have changed in most of the states I have points in. Tag numbers, point creep, cost, my age etc. looking back knowing what I know now I probably wouldn’t do it. I say just go hunt and don’t wait. I did draw unit 8 at one time and jumped back into Az.

Offline blacktailhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 08:45:28 PM »

Just depends on your goals... the price of those land owner tags will be rising as the non resident availability goes down...your looking around 5k-8k on average hunts and 8-15k on better tags..thats alot of years of applications
Price is definitely cheaper with apps when you compare to landowner tags even when considering 20yrs .  The problem is time.  18yrs ago when I started I was in my 20's and back then lots of the top hunts archery took 10-11pts.  Now those same hunts are 20-25pts.  So if you started now you are looking at 40-50pts unless something drastically changes in a state like AZ.  So no I wouldn't start right now unless you were like 12yrs old and are planning a hunt in your 50's and 60's.

Offline HUNT JR

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 06:49:25 AM »
There are a lot of good, fun hunts out there that don't take high/max points... It isn't cheap, but by the time you gain a loyalty point, and if you pay for the hunter ed point, you can realistically go hunt AZ elk every decade or sooner. Might not be a rut hunt, but you're still hunting where giant bulls exist :twocents:

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 07:42:42 AM »
There are a lot of good, fun hunts out there that don't take high/max points... It isn't cheap, but by the time you gain a loyalty point, and if you pay for the hunter ed point, you can realistically go hunt AZ elk every decade or sooner. Might not be a rut hunt, but you're still hunting where giant bulls exist :twocents:

And you get a 2nd choice...premium hunts 1st and then realistic hunts 2nd...the coues hunts alone are worth it

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 10:54:03 AM »

I hear that a lot but I question the time and money spent when I can have a good and fun hunt at home for 30 dollars. Seems like most hunters that live in the west would be better off spending the time money in their home state? Then put money aside for landowner tag or even get the tag through a guide.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 11:02:04 AM »

Price is definitely cheaper with apps when you compare to landowner tags even when considering 20yrs .  The problem is time.  18yrs ago when I started I was in my 20's and back then lots of the top hunts archery took 10-11pts.  Now those same hunts are 20-25pts.  So if you started now you are looking at 40-50pts unless something drastically changes in a state like AZ.  So no I wouldn't start right now unless you were like 12yrs old and are planning a hunt in your 50's and 60's.

Thanks for that perspective that’s how I am seeing the situation. Feels like a Ponzi scheme for anyone entering today 😂 the hunting industry I think broke the western draw systems by promoting western hunting too much. They can’t stop the hyper promotion since they have built huge businesses on it. 3 podcasts a week and numerous e-mails telling me why and how to enter every western draw. I think for you guys that got in 20-30 years ago it was worth it. Starting recently seems ridiculous. Thanks for all the replies I hope you long term applicants draw some great tags 👍

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 11:04:43 AM »

Thanks I wasn’t sure how much top end tags cost. I was figuring about 4500 to 5000? To accumulate 20 points and then presumably draw and pay for a tag?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal