collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: E. Oregon mule deer hunt--advice, please  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
E. Oregon mule deer hunt--advice, please
« on: February 02, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »
Looking for advice on where to apply in E. OR. I have 5 points, am familiar with the draw odds published by oregontags. Plan to rifle hunt--mostly because during archery season, I'll hunt elk, instead, and the area I'll hunt elk isn't great for bucks.  I prefer to hunt away from roads and am willing to pack into camp. PM, if you don't want to reply publicly.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
Re: E. Oregon mule deer hunt--advice, please
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 06:27:09 PM »
I like that Ron added the "point levels" tab this year.  But it's just for residents.  Maybe he'll consider doing one next year for non-residents.  It's very handy.   http://oregontags.com/100-series-predictions-by-point-level-residents/

Murderer's Creek isn't what it used to be, and I haven't been in there in awhile but it still produces plenty of harvests.  I love the terrain in Mt Emily.

For 5pts as a non-resident I'd probably go towards Pine Creek, Keating, Beulah, or Wagontire. But I also tend to lean towards units with less hunters/tags.  Depends on how far you want to drive.   Most of the units I listed have harvest success rates of 50%-65%.  And range from being comprised of 50%-85% public lands.

2022 not posted yet, but here is 2021:
https://dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/controlled_hunts/docs/hunts_summary_reports/2021/2021%20Buck%20Deer%20Any%20Legal%20Weapon%20Harvest%20Summary.pdf

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 09:03:59 PM »
Thanks, KS. I had not found the points level chart, yet. That makes it fast to pick by points. The units you listed are ones I had considered. I like the Wagontire terrain, just not sure, yet, about its bear population and would want to double up or at least try.

What I have found misleading about raw success numbers in OR is the size of bucks. All the units I've looked at are "any buck," while I'm thinking of holding out for something a little bigger. I'll do some digging to find points/size success rates, if possible.

Again, I appreciate the response. It's the best part of this forum.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:12:41 PM by Shawn Ryan »

Offline Bone collector 13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 09:23:55 PM »
Shoot me a PM.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 08:18:58 AM »
Lots of mulies down south central area..Summer Lake....Government Harvey Pass    Paisley....Just don't go in the local bar in Paisley wearing camo
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 12:05:47 PM »
Lots of mulies down south central area..Summer Lake....Government Harvey Pass    Paisley....Just don't go in the local bar in Paisley wearing camo

Thanks.

Non-hunting side note:  I was in the Paisley bar (Pioneer Saloon) last spring on a Saturday, late afternoon, early evening for dinner. (No camo, but we were all carrying on our way back from 3 days of gun class at Thunder Ranch.)  There was a group of local high schoolers dressed for a formal dance. I happened to be at the counter paying at the same time and struck up a conversation with them. One girl was from Belgium--on exchange.  I asked why she chose Paisley--seemed like an odd choice, given she could choose from the entire U.S.  She hadn't chosen Paisley. She didn't get to choose. She applied for the program and was assigned a location! Now, I like small towns like Paisley and love that open country, but can you imagine being 17 y.o., thinking you were going to see the America you see in the movies, and then ending up in a Marlboro commercial? Wow. She said she was super bummed in the beginning, but was enjoying her friends. She had a story to tell when she got home.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 02:41:48 PM »
I bet she was not happy ...
We were coming back from bow hunting along the Sycan River and stopped at the only place open...the local bar. The 4 of us went in and ordered a beer and were going to order dinner. There were about 20 local cowboys and their gals there. Cowboy boots up to their knees, bandanas , 20 Gallon cowboy hats...the works. Before we could order dinner the obvious leader of the group says in a very loud voice  "Look those guys are wearing their pajamas".. 4 against 20 weren't odds we liked so we drank up and scurried out the door.

Lots of mulies in the area. The bow season opened the last weekend in August. Bachelor groups of bucks, rattlesnakes, mosquitos,  and arrowheads were plentiful. Stayed at the Hot Springs and had a good soak everyday. I found  a 50 pound chunk of Obsidian and never went back to get it before we left. Probably still there. I see where the hot springs have been developed .Cabins etc.  Might be a good road trip this summer.
Good luck in  your search.
One other thing.Back then all the locals road hunted in pick-ups. Driver inside and 2 to 3 hunters standing in the back with nocked arrows in their bows.  We had the woods to ourselves.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 12:07:12 PM »
I bet she was not happy ...
We were coming back from bow hunting along the Sycan River and stopped at the only place open...the local bar. The 4 of us went in and ordered a beer and were going to order dinner. There were about 20 local cowboys and their gals there. Cowboy boots up to their knees, bandanas , 20 Gallon cowboy hats...the works. Before we could order dinner the obvious leader of the group says in a very loud voice  "Look those guys are wearing their pajamas".. 4 against 20 weren't odds we liked so we drank up and scurried out the door.

Lots of mulies in the area. The bow season opened the last weekend in August. Bachelor groups of bucks, rattlesnakes, mosquitos,  and arrowheads were plentiful. Stayed at the Hot Springs and had a good soak everyday. I found  a 50 pound chunk of Obsidian and never went back to get it before we left. Probably still there. I see where the hot springs have been developed .Cabins etc.  Might be a good road trip this summer.
Good luck in  your search.
One other thing.Back then all the locals road hunted in pick-ups. Driver inside and 2 to 3 hunters standing in the back with nocked arrows in their bows.  We had the woods to ourselves.

That is a good story. Hopefully, I would leave under similar circumstances! No road hunting for me. I'm looking for a place I can pack into, though the hot springs every day would be spectacular.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 06:03:06 PM »
Thanks to the guys who have shared via PM. I really do appreciate the advice, stories, and insight. That is truly my favorite part of this forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]