collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seeking help navigating WDFW for a WAC change  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: Seeking help navigating WDFW for a WAC change
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2023, 05:45:33 PM »
My gut reaction was to think "No, we really don't need to introduce another unknown risk to our waterways just for someone who wants to live like a Cajun in the PNW."  It seemed like you were asking us to sign up for an unknown level of risk (which if this avenue is opened is not zero, let's be honest) for a vanity project.

But I have to admit, I'm coming around.  How would you suggest the permit process ensure that no crawfish find their way into Washington's waterways?  You must understand that if you are allowed to import crawfish, so is someone else whose actual goal is to set some free in the local creek/pond.

So in your eyes, what does that process look like?

And for what it's worth, I feel your pain. We used to bring in leeches from Wisconsin to fish for walleye.  I think it was 2009 or 2010 that got nipped in the bud due to the potential of VHS being imported.

Change occurs one conversation at a time! Welcome!  :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Taking a hard look at Oregon's permitting process would be a great place to start. It's in place, from what I understand, effective, and fair. Beyond that, and just spitballin':

1) A reporting requirement like catch/harvest cards. I buy by the pound so I could report back to DFW how many were eaten, and how many were left over. I'd still be responsible for the safe consumption of leftovers but it would provide DFW with increased transparency.

2) Weighing spent shells would not be anywhere close to precise but possible.

3) I'd even welcome DFW to the boil. Hell, I'd even consider a 'give-back' loop to DFW where a small portion of the ticket price is donated to the invasive species DFW team. 

How do you like me now?

Eh, I'm not convinced by this.  Nobody believes catch record cards. But if someone lied on their crab catch card it wouldn't alter the ecosystem of a local waterway.

We fought hard for the leeches, even going as far to agree we would only source from leech farms that had closed systems and would carry verification.  WDFW absolutely not interested in having that conversation.

I think your odds of success are extremely low here.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Seeking help navigating WDFW for a WAC change
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2023, 08:56:50 PM »
That’s being way generous Skillet

soo you’re saying there’s a chance?  Yes!!

Offline Moose Master

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2023, 03:35:36 PM »
Have you made an appointment with any directors in Olympia in person?  400 pounds mentioned would be an event different than personal use.  Good luck with your endeavors

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2023, 07:07:57 PM »
Your proposal is not going anywhere, and it shouldn't. We have too many invasive species already, and I can assure you, if people start importing these crayfish, some of the will eventually end up being released into the wild.

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2023, 02:46:33 PM »
Your proposal is not going anywhere, and it shouldn't. We have too many invasive species already, and I can assure you, if people start importing these crayfish, some of the will eventually end up being released into the wild.

That's an odd take, are you on staff at DFW? Thanks for your comment tho

Responsible people (like yours truly) should not be held back by the irresponsibility of others on an item like this.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 03:10:58 PM »
We used to eat a lot of fresh, deep fried walleye fingerlings. Can you order me a gross or two while you're at it? You know, just for old times sake.  :chuckle:
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2023, 06:53:46 AM »
I'm in south Alabama right now, just happened to go to a crawfish and shrimp boil the other day. For anyone that's never had a cajun crawfish boil, let's just say I can see why OP is willing to fight the government to have one :chuckle: This was plate 1 of 3 :EAT:

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2023, 08:42:28 AM »
I'm in south Alabama right now, just happened to go to a crawfish and shrimp boil the other day. For anyone that's never had a cajun crawfish boil, let's just say I can see why OP is willing to fight the government to have one :chuckle: This was plate 1 of 3 :EAT:

:yeah:

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2023, 07:15:24 AM »
Being born and raised in this state and marrying a Texan with a kid that graduated LSU, I've spent a little time in the south.  IMO they have a LOT of seafood but it's garbage compared to ours.

On the other matter, I believe and support that it's easier to have a blanket rule for no live invasive species than to make exceptions.  Go have your boil in Idaho, eat local or find another way.  It's your right to fight it all you want but I can't help but think.... "Of all the things to try and make a difference, this is it???"
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2023, 07:19:28 AM »
Texas had garbage seafood or Louisiana?

I could get behind Texas seafood being mediocre...but Louisiana seafood is the gold standard.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2023, 11:58:34 AM »
I could get behind Texas seafood being mediocre...but Louisiana seafood is the gold standard.

I was all excited for all the different kinds of shrimp and crab.  I guess I've spent too much time in Alaska to compare gulf seafood.  King Crab, dungys and our prawns are unbeatable IMO. 
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2023, 02:03:57 PM »
Yeah I think Pacific seafood shines on it's own whereas Gulf seafood shines when it's incorporated into dishes. Things like Shrimp/Crawfish Etouffee, gumbo, blackened redfish on the half shell, fried oyster/gator/shrimp po-boys, crab/crawfish au gratin, oysters rockefeller, etc.

But I'd rather have snow/dungeness by itself with butter than blue crab for sure.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2023, 02:54:03 PM »
I'm sorry but I just had to out you since I found your you tube channel!
 :chuckle:

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU